So what's up with the rd28 craze.

I'm new to composite demarini bats. Loved the double walls lol. When I first started playing. Anyway what's the craze with the rd's

71bama17

Addicted to Softballfans
Most people agree the RD is the best ASA Demarini

And they are individual numbered, 1/3000 I think only 3000 of each were produced

Last edited:

Damo

<font color=#cc3333"> MADE IN CANADA!</font>
Because they are a limited run with a cool looking paint scheme
Personally hatted them and gave them multiple chances

Oh and ya

HYPE HYPE HYPE
to keep the value up!

vtw8lftr

Tight But Whole
The RD28 is one of the nastiest ASA bats ever made... but you need to put 1000+ hits on the bat for it to reach that level. I just got rid of the one I had for a new J3A due to the new bats being ready to go out of the wrapper... I just did not have the time to put the necessary number of hits on my RD28 to break it in correctly. Mine had around 3-400 hits on it and it still looked brand new and certainly hit like it was new... unwrapped the new J3A and was immediately hitting the ball further... so yeah the RD28 would eventually hit like a beast and would last forever but you need a lot of BP to get it there.

TRaj2327

Most people agree the RD is the best ASA Demarini

And they are individual numbered, 1/3000 I think only 3000 of each were produced

3000 ASA
1000 UTRIP/NSA

HYPE HYPE HYPE
to keep the value up!

It's not hype if people are still talking about them 5 years later. The RD is one of the hottest ASA bats ever produced.

Get them to 1000-1500 swings and you have a rocket launcher attached to your arms.

And yes, it murders the 52/300 as well.

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
The RD28 is one of the nastiest ASA bats ever made... but you need to put 1000+ hits on the bat for it to reach that level. I just got rid of the one I had for a new J3A due to the new bats being ready to go out of the wrapper... I just did not have the time to put the necessary number of hits on my RD28 to break it in correctly. Mine had around 3-400 hits on it and it still looked brand new and certainly hit like it was new... unwrapped the new J3A and was immediately hitting the ball further... so yeah the RD28 would eventually hit like a beast and would last forever but you need a lot of BP to get it there.

hmmmm...................
I have had...well multiples. One made it to 700 or so. the second one busted with counteed swings of 903...give or take. My current one has over 700. All of these were smokin way, way, way, before 1k swings. And my current one changed sound within the third bp.....maybe 350.
Now we all know I can't hit consistantly and no longer am I a masher of any sort, but dang son!!!! this bat does not take that long to hit beastmode.

TRaj2327

hmmmm...................
I have had...well multiples. One made it to 700 or so. the second one busted with counteed swings of 903...give or take. My current one has over 700. All of these were smokin way, way, way, before 1k swings. And my current one changed sound within the third bp.....maybe 350.
Now we all know I can't hit consistantly and no longer am I a masher of any sort, but dang son!!!! this bat does not take that long to hit beastmode.

I agree with this. You'll notice a change fairly early on but like all other bats, they get silly hot the more swings you get on it. Mine reached a level of unfairness at around 1500, now through the middle of the barrel there is hardly any paint left.

jakeski13

Eat Sleep Conquer Repeat
I think i had a dud of an RD. It never got the distance that everyone claims to get from these. I used to outhit it with a CF4st. I was frustrated cause i really wanted to like the RD because it looks so cool

TRaj2327

I think i had a dud of an RD. It never got the distance that everyone claims to get from these. I used to outhit it with a CF4st. I was frustrated cause i really wanted to like the RD because it looks so cool

How many swings did you have on it?

The CF4st hits the ball a ton as well. I wish I could take mine out more often.

OnlySolo

You mad?

Yours was not good. The many I have had all hit some good shots.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
IN MY OPINION

the rd28 is a good bat, but in no way would i consider it the 'best' unless it's a 10-way tie between all asa bats demarini's made.

the reason the rd went crazy is the limited numbers. this affects the price a couple ways
-first the obvious, it creates a shortage in supply, which limits competition in sales and keeps prices high
-second, it stops a lot of ppl from having the chance to try the bat. and those that do probably paid a lot for it, and therefore don't want to admit to themselves or others it was a waste of money. if everybody on this board had a chance to swing the rd28, i think it would be less popular because the ppl who hate 2pc bats, hate endloaded bats, hate soft barrels, etc would hate the rd28. since those ppl probably never even tried the bat(it's too expensive to try when you know you probably won't like it) they keep their mouths shut and can't contribute to the discussion.
-steveo. seriously, when there's only 3000 bats, a guy willing to pay 300+ for 50 or more of them can and does affect the market. especially when this is done 1-2yrs after release when there may only be a couple hundred left in stores. for example(and i don't care, i actually gave him the heads up on this) there were some RD's at a local store here. still selling for more than i thought they were worth. nobody was likely to buy them here, so prices would have come down a bit eventually. instead, steveo bought all of them at sticker price(what later prooved to be a good deal).

**just to be clear, i don't blame steveo, and i don't think he did any of this on purpose. and it wasn't him alone. but there were a small number of ppl, maybe 20, that were willing to pay anything for these bats and because of them, the prices stayed really high. i think beyond that group, the rest of us would have preferred to wait and buy them at 200bux, but we never got that chance because the limited numbers and this small group of ppl that wanted to collect 10+ of them represented a significant share of the market. if 10 000 more bats were made, or that small group only bought 2 bats, the prices would have dropped like every other demarini does.

again, my opinion. i have played against one crazy hot rd28 that makes me understand the craze, but the 6 i've personally used ranged from nothing special to omg it's AS HOT as my juggy's.

TRaj2327

IN MY OPINION

the rd28 is a good bat, but in no way would i consider it the 'best' unless it's a 10-way tie between all asa bats demarini's made.

the reason the rd went crazy is the limited numbers. this affects the price a couple ways
-first the obvious, it creates a shortage in supply, which limits competition in sales and keeps prices high
-second, it stops a lot of ppl from having the chance to try the bat. and those that do probably paid a lot for it, and therefore don't want to admit to themselves or others it was a waste of money. if everybody on this board had a chance to swing the rd28, i think it would be less popular because the ppl who hate 2pc bats, hate endloaded bats, hate soft barrels, etc would hate the rd28. since those ppl probably never even tried the bat(it's too expensive to try when you know you probably won't like it) they keep their mouths shut and can't contribute to the discussion.
-steveo. seriously, when there's only 3000 bats, a guy willing to pay 300+ for 50 or more of them can and does affect the market. especially when this is done 1-2yrs after release when there may only be a couple hundred left in stores. for example(and i don't care, i actually gave him the heads up on this) there were some RD's at a local store here. still selling for more than i thought they were worth. nobody was likely to buy them here, so prices would have come down a bit eventually. instead, steveo bought all of them at sticker price(what later prooved to be a good deal).

**just to be clear, i don't blame steveo, and i don't think he did any of this on purpose. and it wasn't him alone. but there were a small number of ppl, maybe 20, that were willing to pay anything for these bats and because of them, the prices stayed really high. i think beyond that group, the rest of us would have preferred to wait and buy them at 200bux, but we never got that chance because the limited numbers and this small group of ppl that wanted to collect 10+ of them represented a significant share of the market. if 10 000 more bats were made, or that small group only bought 2 bats, the prices would have dropped like every other demarini does.

again, my opinion. i have played against one crazy hot rd28 that makes me understand the craze, but the 6 i've personally used ranged from nothing special to omg it's AS HOT as my juggy's.

I agree with you on most your points, but 5 years laters, there still is nothing that swings or hits like an RD. DeMarini hasn't put out another bat that combines the soft feel AND the endload that the RD had and comes with the durability. The J3A, which so many people are hyping, does not have the same feel as the RD and IMO, is not any better. Sure, it's hotter out of the wrapper, but durability-wise when coupled with having the ability to break in a bat and get comfortable with it, it doesn't compete.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree with you on most your points, but 5 years laters, there still is nothing that swings or hits like an RD. DeMarini hasn't put out another bat that combines the soft feel AND the endload that the RD had and comes with the durability. The J3A, which so many people are hyping, does not have the same feel as the RD and IMO, is not any better. Sure, it's hotter out of the wrapper, but durability-wise when coupled with having the ability to break in a bat and get comfortable with it, it just doesn't compete.

you know what, you're absolutely correct. i got too caught up with keeping my post 'short' i forgot to mention what the rd28 has going for it.

it's unique. there is no other bat on the market with the same feel, period. that's likely the reason why ppl bought 10+ of them. that and they knew if they waited until they broke, there wouldn't be any left. not quite like the juggy, that's as easy to find now as it was 4yrs ago, haha.

the j3 is being hyped because of the asa testing change. all new asa bats will be just as hot soon enough. but for now, it blows the old stuff out of the water imo.

i'd also point out, regardless of the hype, marketing, or anything i mentioned above. if the bat wasn't at least good, none of it would matter. it IS a good bat, i do own one, and if it wasn't for SPN now allowing utrip bats it would still be the bat i bring alongside my juggy. for me the big difference is value. the juggy i paid 100bux for, the rd i paid 220 for. they both hit about the same. the juggy is just a rediculous value, and makes me think all bats should be as cheap. take away the juggy, and i do like the rd more than most others, and might be willing to spend the extra 50bux compared to stuff like the swagger, MLC etc.

SteveO.

I want your RD28's!
I still think the RD's are the best ASA bat I've ever swung, and it's not even close. I sold almost all mine (still have a NIW NR 27, a NIW 27 and my gamer) but would swing them over anything else. Wasn't a fan of the Utrip though, and didn't think it hit any better than the ASA version.

TRaj2327

180729_632464625604_6126950_n.jpg

167525_632464031794_6632797_n.jpg

165605_632463567724_7457188_n.jpg