Some old stamp Eastons banned in ASA...

stillballin

The Veteran
All of the bats that Easton requested to be pulled from the ASA approved list (SCN5 is the only exception) had previously been removed from the NCAA approved bat list. I think there's something else brewing here, and it isn't an Easton money-grab.

I agree... I would not be surprised if the other bat companies pre-abi bats will also lose their certs too and no longer be allowed for play... they were not as good as the eastons though... imo...

I was off subject with the commenting/ranting on how Easton markets their new bats with very high prices to begin then how their price/value drops drastically at the end of the year.. to clarify I didn't think Easton was dropping certs for a money grab... just that the marketing needs better direction..

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I was off subject with the commenting/ranting on how Easton markets their new bats with very high prices to begin then how their price/value drops drastically at the end of the year.. to clarify I didn't think Easton was dropping certs for a money grab... just that the marketing needs better direction..

My comment wasn't directed at you, it was for everyone else that immediately started blaming Easton. You are absolutely right about Easton's marketing. I don't even look at current models, I just wait a year and grab them on clearance. Right now I have an L1 ($150 CDN clearance sale), USSSA Torq ($80 US fire sale), and an L5 ($50 CDN local store bargain bin). I might get a black/gold Helmer... next year for $100. :)

Back to the pulled bats, if I were a betting man I'd say that ASA gave Easton the opportunity to "voluntarily" remove said bats before they got banned. Purely speculation, but I don't see how this could be a money-grab by Easton. People still swinging the Extendeds and Flexes, and fathers paying $400 on the bay for fastpitch bats for their highschool daughters weren't doing it out of brand loyalty. They were doing it because they knew they were getting grandfathered bats that outperformed specs. They aren't gonna run out and buy a new Easton now that the old ones aren't approved anymore.

Curious to see if other manufacturers follow suit.

100% Market stradegy

My comment wasn't directed at you, it was for everyone else that immediately started blaming Easton. You are absolutely right about Easton's marketing. I don't even look at current models, I just wait a year and grab them on clearance. Right now I have an L1 ($150 CDN clearance sale), USSSA Torq ($80 US fire sale), and an L5 ($50 CDN local store bargain bin). I might get a black/gold Helmer... next year for $100. :)

Back to the pulled bats, if I were a betting man I'd say that ASA gave Easton the opportunity to "voluntarily" remove said bats before they got banned. Purely speculation, but I don't see how this could be a money-grab by Easton. People still swinging the Extendeds and Flexes, and fathers paying $400 on the bay for fastpitch bats for their highschool daughters weren't doing it out of brand loyalty. They were doing it because they knew they were getting grandfathered bats that outperformed specs. They aren't gonna run out and buy a new Easton now that the old ones aren't approved anymore.

Curious to see if other manufacturers follow suit.
--------

Yep, and that $80 torq u got retailed for $399 beginning of season. And they still have plenty. They cant give away theyre new line bats. NIW bry bakers being sold for $65-70 and the new line isn't even released yet. They hold no value and there's no demand for them. But a NIW SCX3 on ebay will post for $730 with $29 shipping and sell. For ASA to ban those bats and not say the J3A makes no sense. I would rather spend $225 on an OG flex with 100% stamps than an L4 for $300 naturally, and who wouldn't. No company has ever pulled the certs off their product before, this is unprecidented stuff. They dont have a perfect track record, they have a handful of sticks on the ASA ban list, theyre not preserving a clean record or anything. Surprised they didnt ban that purple SSR3B fast pitch purple monster, that bats the difference between average daddy and daddy of the year. Marketing ploy all the way.

johnny fitz

Addicted to Softballfans
People freaking about all old stamp bats... This was an EASTON move not an Asa move. Easton voluntarily did this like was said 40 times in this thread. The fact it was done overnight without a year or any warning is real scummy.

And anyone suggesting the new ones aren't shaved as often has never played in the tri state area. I haven't seen an unshaven l4-l6 since they came out. And they're everywhere. And everyone knows.... Once testing is done... It's only AMs and monsta. No eastons.

TRaj2327

I hate when people use the phrase "not even close." I agree there is a clear difference in exit speed. But not even close is an unfair statement.

Differences of 5-8% at 90-105 mph exit speeds is a lot and worthy of a "not even close." Fortunately I lucky enough to have a cage nearby that has radar in the cage so I'm not just making it up and it's actually based on some hard data. If I can pick up a Miken, Worth, DeMarini, etc., and it outhits a 4000 swing Easton by that much, it might be time to go back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
And anyone suggesting the new ones aren't shaved as often has never played in the tri state area. I haven't seen an unshaven l4-l6 since they came out. And they're everywhere.

Easton bats are just about the only New Stamp that still hold up after being shaved. I was standing behind some guy to get my OG Recoil tested because of end cap wear and he turned around and told me "that's why I love Easton, you can shave them and still swing them forever and they pass" right after getting the certification stamp. Miken and Worth would probably fall apart if they're altered so I guess hot bats right out of the wrapper are actually helping curb shaving in a way

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
Differences of 5-8% at 90-105 mph exit speeds is a lot and worthy of a "not even close." Fortunately I lucky enough to have a cage nearby that has radar in the cage so I'm not just making it up and it's actually based on some hard data. If I can pick up a Miken, Worth, DeMarini, etc., and it outhits a 4000 swing Easton by that much, it might be time to go back to the drawing board.

It sounds like Miken and Worth are leading the way with Utrip. Demarini is sitting in the back seat with Easton. :biggthumpup:

We'll see when i get more swings on my Miken and Worth sticks to see if my Torq will be out down...

Hiltz

Built for comfort
GOING 4 THIRD;18627926No company has ever pulled the certs off their product before said:
Not 100% sure, but I think Louisville Slugger actually requested that ASA place several of their Xeno fastpitch bats on the ban list a few years back.

EDIT: It was actually several of their "OneX" models, the Xenos were offered as replacements. Louisville Slugger did a recall on the OneX bats for safety reasons and had ASA place them on the ban list so they would be removed from play before someone got hurt and lawsuits were filed.

Last edited:

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce

I knew there was a visible difference, but it sounds like you have the data to back it up. Good info for sure. Thanks for the share.

Exparrot

Not 100% sure, but I think Louisville Slugger actually requested that ASA place several of their Xeno fastpitch bats on the ban list a few years back.

EDIT: It was actually several of their "OneX" models, the Xenos were offered as replacements. Louisville Slugger did a recall on the OneX bats for safety reasons and had ASA place them on the ban list so they would be removed from play before someone got hurt and lawsuits were filed.

They had problems with the connection piece, and bats were snapping in two with very few swings. It was a manufacturing defect, and yes, it was also done to get them out of kids' hands and prevent lawsuits.

amaldo01

TPS Ritch's Superior Fanatic
Funny crying over a bat that is 10 years old being banned lol and yes I have swung a few of them

not everyone purchased these 10yr old bat 10 yrs ago so that comment is rather foolish. Some people have bought or traded for them recently simply because they are great bats for them. If any manufacturer wants to pull a bat after it being approved all this time thats fine, but if your a company who stands behind your products and want to provide good customer service then accept them back as a return for your 2016 line. What if the car companies came out and said all cars more than 10 yrs old no longer meet inspection requirements and could no longer be used? Would you say the same thing?

moty0901

Starting Player
I can't blame Easton for doing this but they could have approached it differently and at least gave people a warning.

TRaj2327

It sounds like Miken and Worth are leading the way with Utrip. Demarini is sitting in the back seat with Easton. :biggthumpup:

We'll see when i get more swings on my Miken and Worth sticks to see if my Torq will be out down...

DeMarini was nipping at the heels of Miken and Worth. There was only about 1-2% difference there on broken in models that didn't fail.

clemente24

OG BOOBIE WATCHER
So sad, they are guilty only of making a superior bat that lasted this long. These bats sat when they first came out. The Synergy 2 and the OG Freak dominated ASA. Same thing happened 10 years go they were both banned for different reasons of course, and yes people started shaving them to get the same performance out of them. The Synergy 2 and Freak were going for 350-450 easy, you could buy a new bat for 200$ have it shaved and save $.

Ballisttic

Star Player
I did a bbs test freak12 vs utrip el torq. Both bats are broken in and 27oz the torq was 2 bbs behind the freak 12.

This was taken from 3 different hitters using asa 44/375s off a tee.
each batter was warmed up and took 10 swings with each bat hitting liners.

My results were a lot closer.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
not everyone purchased these 10yr old bat 10 yrs ago so that comment is rather foolish. Some people have bought or traded for them recently simply because they are great bats for them. If any manufacturer wants to pull a bat after it being approved all this time thats fine, but if your a company who stands behind your products and want to provide good customer service then accept them back as a return for your 2016 line. What if the car companies came out and said all cars more than 10 yrs old no longer meet inspection requirements and could no longer be used? Would you say the same thing?

You're talking apples to oranges here. Reasonable assumption that a car can/should last you 10+ years just based upon the cost. It is not a reasonable assumption that a softball bat should last that long. This is why they only offer one year warranties

rpw019

Addicted to Softballfans
You're talking apples to oranges here. Reasonable assumption that a car can/should last you 10+ years just based upon the cost. It is not a reasonable assumption that a softball bat should last that long. This is why they only offer one year warranties

I agree with this but its not unreasonable to also state that if you have an intact non altered unit that you should not be compensated as the manufacturer has changed their tune and pulled there product from usage.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Where you from again JBO? I was thinking Jersey, but now I'm thinking Titletown is somewhere else? I agree that Miken and Worth failing comp is a problem. But it's one easily fixed if people did some research.

Titletown was Valdosta GA, but I play around Cincy now. In GA people stopped buying Worths with the 454s.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Kinda funny they're finally banned when they don't matter after so many years of rumored bans while they were relevant. Only thing this will accomplish is pissing off shaver's and league dudes who don't follow the latest/greatest. Good job Chineaston!

Jusrah99

I did a bbs test freak12 vs utrip el torq. Both bats are broken in and 27oz the torq was 2 bbs behind the freak 12.

This was taken from 3 different hitters using asa 44/375s off a tee.
each batter was warmed up and took 10 swings with each bat hitting liners.

My results were a lot closer.

So youre saying that they have similar performance?

Ballisttic

Star Player
So youre saying that they have similar performance?

Yes

Its a matter of two bbs so 4 to 5 feet per bbs. I would say thats very good for a bat that will last 4x to 5x as long.

It also could be the difference between warning track power and homerun power aswell to some.

Jusrah99

Yes

Its a matter of two bbs so 4 to 5 feet per bbs. I would say thats very good for a bat that will last 4x to 5x as long.

It also could be the difference between warning track power and homerun power aswell to some.

Thanks for clarifying...I think the same thing...very close performance between the Torq and the other top bats...def my fave bat from last year...next on the wishlist is the JH Lite, 16 Helmers, and the Utrip Insane...

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Kinda funny they're finally banned when they don't matter after so many years of rumored bans while they were relevant.

This is what annoys me the most. After ASA switched to ABI testing, several of these bats were "grandfathered" in, they probably should have been banned then. Years later, ASA standard allows for hotter bats, the grandfathered bats get pulled. :wtf2:

Like I said before, I think there's more to this than we know at this point. But who knows? Maybe it is just a stupid business move by Easton.

Unless Easton explains it, they leave it open for speculation and conjecture. Some might see a legitimate reason behind it, others might see it as a cheap money grab to sell new bats. They've left themselves open to be misinterpreted.

Yatzeelogoz

Stop it Stoopit
There just jelly that OG extendeds and flexs are on ebay for $650 and they cant GIVE away a bryson baker for 80$ WITH warranty at the end of the season, kuz theyre new bats have NO mass appeal and hold ZERO value. Easton is a terrible inventment TRUST me- LOOK at my sig, i know a little bit, ill NEVER buy another easton again and if they ever ban the srv3 ill go V for Vendetta on their warehouse. Not even a declared date and warning?!?! they really stuck it to the real easton nation heads, sad case, they are. Ive been loyal since c-core redlines and im done with them after this. Now to build a bat rack retirement home for the legends. Sorry if im hardh im a little mad. Just a little. :ban::wtf2::mad:

As a player they are not a terrible investment...the arent nearly as bad as the reputation...they take longer to break in..I mean Im back on the worth & miken bandwagon again...its seems to be cyclical!!! remember the consumer drives the market in the bat industry...if the masses say a bat sucks....the prices become $100 shipped....