Sport...so we don't hijack another thread!

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
So what's your definition? Which activities do you consider to be sports and which ones do you consider to be simply recreation? Careful with your definition as softball may not fall under a "sport"!

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
Let's call body building a sport then. However, it is not an athletic competition which requires physical skill and stamina. Athletics involve skilled movement and I do not consider posing a challenging movement. I am sure people will now chime in and say how challenging it is to do a posing routine. I am not buying it.

It does not really matter though. The dudes get attention and are huge. To each his own.

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
Lol...again by some definitions it would be considered a sport simply because of the training and "competing" aspect of it even though I do not consider body building to be a sport. I am probably in the small minority that also thinks billiards and darts are also "sports" because of the training and competing involved.

I have to find that definition...

OilCountryCanno

Star Player
Cros****... That has got to be the worst type of activity for humans ever. I maintain if someone put in the same amount of effort into doing proper athletic movements and form as Crossfit they would be much more healthy and healthier. Sorry I don't want to hijack again lol

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
If you go by the definition of the word sport it would be a stretch to call bodybuilding and other physic competitions sports. The training doesn't really count since that's not done during the actual competition.

All that said it takes a TON of effort and dedication to do a show at a competitive level.

RockyMTNHusker

Addicted to Softballfans
my definition of sport, i've debated this many many a times...

a sport is an athletic competition with a definable quantitative winner... i.e. has an exact winner decided by the play and not by judges.... i am by no means saying that a competition that is decided by judges isn't easy and doesn't take athletic ability, just that i don't consider ice skating or diving a sport... they are both extremely difficult, but the difference between winning and losing can be decided by a judges preference rather than the actual performance....

u234bob

Blah Blah Blah

a sport is an athletic competition with a definable quantitative winner... i.e. has an exact winner decided by the play and not by judges.... i am by no means saying that a competition that is decided by judges isn't easy and doesn't take athletic ability, just that i don't consider ice skating or diving a sport... they are both extremely difficult, but the difference between winning and losing can be decided by a judges preference rather than the actual performance....

Gymnastics isn't a sport because judges decide winner?
Athletes in amazing shape, with huge strength, competing against each other.
Your definition is bunk amigo.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere

So according to this boxing and MMA could be considered a sport sometimes and not others. As some judges might see different things and consider some things worth more than others. We have all seen fights go to the judges and the winner be a surprise.

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero

Solid definition though already not popular! I do like your idea of having a definable winner and not leaving it up to the opinion(s) of a few.

Gymnastics isn't a sport because judges decide winner?
Athletes in amazing shape, with huge strength, competing against each other.
Your definition is bunk amigo.

Yeah, I am not comfortable saying gymnastics is not a sport either. But could athletes compete in events against each other though what they are competing in is not a "sport"? Maybe like crossfitters or rec league softball? What would your definition of "sport" be?

So according to this boxing and MMA could be considered a sport sometimes and not others. As some judges might see different things and consider some things worth more than others. We have all seen fights go to the judges and the winner be a surprise.

Yeah, also don't like the idea of fights being defined as a sport or not depending on the outcome.

ar2x7

Substance & Style
to paraphrase Potter Stewart "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description [sport]; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it,"

NOT SPORTS INCLUDE =

racing cars
fishing
shooting animals in the woods
golf

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
I am going to take it a step further than judges determining winner to define sport. Any activity that can be decided by umpires and referees is not a sport either.

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
to paraphrase Potter Stewart "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description [sport]; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it,"

NOT SPORTS INCLUDE =

racing cars
fishing
shooting animals in the woods
golf

Now that is a definition! Well done, I like it.

I am going to take it a step further than judges determining winner to define sport. Any activity that can be decided by umpires and referees is not a sport either.

Now we're just being silly! Thank god for instant replay taking over, missed free throws, dropped passes, errors and strikeouts on questionable pitches will all be given a "do over" until the correct action is completed...gotta be perfect in sports!

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
If you go by the definition of the word sport it would be a stretch to call bodybuilding and other physic competitions sports. The training doesn't really count since that's not done during the actual competition.

All that said it takes a TON of effort and dedication to do a show at a competitive level.

I agree with this ^^^^ While there is a panel of judges that decide winners, there are no set rules to go by for judging, only guidelines. It's pretty much based on what that particular judge thinks looks the best under the guidelines, so not very strict, whereas boxing/MMA have, or are supposed to have strict rules/guidelines to judge.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
Let's call body building a sport then. However, it is not an athletic competition which requires physical skill and stamina. Athletics involve skilled movement and I do not consider posing a challenging movement. I am sure people will now chime in and say how challenging it is to do a posing routine. I am not buying it.

It does not really matter though. The dudes get attention and are huge. To each his own.

It's a little more challenging than you think, especially for bodybuilding. And if you think there's no stamina involved, go through a full bodybuilding posing routine, and really do it right, flexing as hard as you can, and holding each pose for 10 seconds, take 5 seconds in between poses, for 3 rounds with 10 seconds in between rounds, and see if you are a little tired at the end of it. Are you going to be end of marathon tired, no, but I guarantee you, if you do it full effort, you'll be surprised.

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
Now that is a definition! Well done, I like it.

Now we're just being silly! Thank god for instant replay taking over, missed free throws, dropped passes, errors and strikeouts on questionable pitches will all be given a "do over" until the correct action is completed...gotta be perfect in sports!

I am being silly. However, there are always judgements that effect sport outcomes. So, I think it is silly to say that any sport where the outcome involves judges is not a sport. Look at all the free throws some NBA teams are given and the ticky tack fouls that superstars sometimes get. Referees can determine outcome. They are essentially judges controlling how the game is played.

The point I am making is that judgement and human error effects all sports. However, sports like tennis is getting pretty good at eliminating this so maybe it is the ultimate sport. What about golf? Not much judgement there.

Last edited:

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
I am being silly. However, there are always judgements that effect sport outcomes. So, I think it is silly to say that any sport where the outcome involves judges is not a sport. Look at all the free throws some NBA teams are given and the ticky tack fouls that superstars sometimes get. Referees can determine outcome. They are essentially judges controlling how the game is played.

The point I am making is that judgement and human error effects all sports. However, sports like tennis is getting pretty good at eliminating this so maybe it is the ultimate sport. What about golf? Not much judgement there.

Lol...I was kidding. I agree with your point, but think human error is a part of sports, I mean "errors" is a stat that has been kept in baseball since the beginning (or at least very close to the beginning). Which is why I also mentioned dropped passes and missed free throws even when some of those free throws may have been on questionable "judgement" calls.

And yes, you are correct, tennis does have probably the best replay system in "sports" but again, it takes away from the human aspect. If players aren't perfect at seeing and returning a 120mph serve, how is a judge supposed to see and judge it perfectly?

In a "sport" like gymnastics, not sticking the landing is an error even when being judged.

Just trying to find activities that some may consider sports and some may not or at least a definition. Didn't want to take away from what MP33 was showing in his thread by getting off topic on whether or not he was competing in a sport.

So far, I think I have to go with the definition ar2x7 gave.

Last edited:

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with this ^^^^ While there is a panel of judges that decide winners, there are no set rules to go by for judging, only guidelines. It's pretty much based on what that particular judge thinks looks the best under the guidelines, so not very strict, whereas boxing/MMA have, or are supposed to have strict rules/guidelines to judge.

Isn't this the same for gymnastics? Some judges give more points for people that do tougher moves well, while others give more points to people that do easier moves perfectly. They have that new maximum points based on difficulty scale, but you know the judge's discretion comes into play beneath that ceiling.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
prob his brother from another mother.

No way is Morris that cool.

I've never considered gymnastics a sport. Or cheerleading. Or Parkour, miming, or any other act that takes athletic ability, coordination, and practice, but is basically just a show.

Is skateboarding a sport now? You have tricks, feats of strength, and a routine you have to perform in front of judges. Freestyle biking? Big Air on Motorcycles? How is auto racing not a sport, but doing tricks on motorcycles a sport? So is a drifting race a sport while a Nascar race is not?

Being in the Olympics doesn't qualify something as a sport to me. They even call half of them Olympic Events while they're taking place.

It's hard to define, and I think it's also going to be widely biased by location. Track and Field was a joke at my high school, and we had no wrestling, but at least one of those two has to be a sport my standard definition.

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
Isn't this the same for gymnastics? Some judges give more points for people that do tougher moves well, while others give more points to people that do easier moves perfectly. They have that new maximum points based on difficulty scale, but you know the judge's discretion comes into play beneath that ceiling.

I would consider gymnastics more of a sport than bodybuilding, as you can at least vary the difficulty of your routine in gymnastics.

Bodybuilders, and it's various counterparts, i.e. physique, bikini, all have the same poses, and is more based on aesthetics. While it's not easy to do, takes a lot of dedication and mental toughness to get to a competitive level, when you break it down, it's still based more on aesthetics than performing an actual skill.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
No way is Morris that cool.

I've never considered gymnastics a sport. Or cheerleading. Or Parkour, miming, or any other act that takes athletic ability, coordination, and practice, but is basically just a show.

Is skateboarding a sport now? You have tricks, feats of strength, and a routine you have to perform in front of judges. Freestyle biking? Big Air on Motorcycles? How is auto racing not a sport, but doing tricks on motorcycles a sport? So is a drifting race a sport while a Nascar race is not?

Being in the Olympics doesn't qualify something as a sport to me. They even call half of them Olympic Events while they're taking place.

It's hard to define, and I think it's also going to be widely biased by location. Track and Field was a joke at my high school, and we had no wrestling, but at least one of those two has to be a sport my standard definition.

Would you guys consider this a sport? Please watch a some of the timed run first before judging.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aha, I jumped the gun. I have a hard time where I'd draw the line, but I think of that and skiing like golf and gymnastics. Yes, the opponent can put pressure on you by scoring well so you know you have to score well, but they're not there actively playing defense. That's why it's hard for me to pick gymnastics as a sport, but not Nascar when there is a driver right there playing defense.

Another thing that separates this from bodybuilding for me is bodybuilding is just showing your work from practice. It's not a real competition to me, as the variables don't change from one contestant to the next or during the contest. Those racers have to find lines and face the elements. Gymnasts have an actual ring and pommel horse. A Bodybuilder just has to not trip on the flat stage. :D