SSR4 broken endcap

glovedad

Easton recently replaced my cracked SSR2 with a SSR4. It was a fine exchange. Problem is that the SSR4 endcap broke (a piece about the size of a quarter, right in the center of the endcap). The bat had moderate use. About 1/2 of a season. I understand that I only get 1 bat replacement with my warranty. It just seems such a waste that they can't replace endcaps. Anyone else have endcap issues with the SSR4? I am not sure if buying another SSR4 is a good risk?
Easton did offer me a $25 promo code, but the barrel is so good, it feels like having to buy a new car because my headlights broke out.

Combat28Mech

Addicted to Softballfans
seems like the endcap is like a turkey timer once they blow the bats ready to go....had the same thing with my srv3 find yourself some spare parts....

glovedad

Yes it is past 400 days from the original purchase of the SSR2. I think it happened with a crummy early swing and the ball came off the end of the bat. The bat probably has 25 games on it.
Dumb question but I am sure that putting an Easton endcap from one of my older cracked Eastons I have saved, is altering the bat and therefore illegal. Don't even know if that would work. Just being honest here.

Last edited:

Combat28Mech

Addicted to Softballfans
fixing is altering but altering isn't fixing.....replace the cap and have a bat or shelll out the money and start over...you can still be honest if your JUST replacing a broken cap.....don't do anything else and you should have no problem having a clear concscience.

glovedad

Well thank you. Replacing the endcap is all the bat needs to be good again. Sadly it did not even occur to me to replace it myself, even tho I have a cracked OG Flex with a perfectly good endcap. A repaired and functional bat is all I want. Much appreciated.

KDEflyers

Addicted to Softballfans
New Easton's durability is crap. Seen SSR2's, SSR4's, and a Salvo all fail with less than 500 cuts. Latest was the SSR4 about a month past warranty and they won't fix the end cap or replace it for my buddy. I wouldn't buy a new Easton but have a couple of teammates that are loyal and keep getting these new sticks from them. They get hot quick then the end cap blows up or the fragile plastic knob cracks. I'm sticking with my Demarini's.

KDEflyers

Addicted to Softballfans
seems like the endcap is like a turkey timer once they blow the bats ready to go....had the same thing with my srv3 find yourself some spare parts....

fixing is altering but altering isn't fixing.....replace the cap and have a bat or shelll out the money and start over...you can still be honest if your JUST replacing a broken cap.....don't do anything else and you should have no problem having a clear concscience.

Well thank you. Replacing the endcap is all the bat needs to be good again. Sadly it did not even occur to me to replace it myself, even tho I have a cracked OG Flex with a perfectly good endcap. A repaired and functional bat is all I want. Much appreciated.

Replacing the end cap yourself is altering and illegal.

But, if you do it clean, correct, and don't take anything extra out when you have it opened up, and since Easton won't stand behind their product after the warranty period, even if it's clearly a product defect, I will allow it.

picture.php

Johnson*Show

Addicted to Softballfans
How strict is your league when it comes to checking bats, ect? A team mate hit one off the end cap in the second game of owning my nr SRV4, and broke a big chunk out of the center of the cap. That was a year ago and it's still going strong and hitting the ball awesome, just a few hairline cracks off the corners now. But it doesn't affect the performance

07ac0d00.jpg

longball32

Underhand HR hitter
We hit with a Srv3 that had a hole in the center for the rest of the season till it was in 2 pieces, never once changed the performance and never once was checked by a ump (our umps wouldnt know if people were using utrip sticks lol)

Id say if your umps let it go, then keep swinging it

spdracer7326

Addicted to Softballfans
I hit a nice line drive with my SSR2 last Wednesday during league play that took off over the 280' fence... a few days later I noticed the end cap was cracked in the middle, the shape of a diamond. Yesterday the piece broke off and the Ump looked at it and said it’s considered an altered bat and we couldn't use it anymore. That was the 1st time an Ump has ever looked at a bat... but this is the same Ump that called me out b/c I was wearing my Phiten Necklace....

About the bat.. I have an easton rep that said he could get me a replacement end cap. But then the bat is definitely considered altered....

2012-05-13_20-29-18_731.jpg
2012-05-13_20-29-36_119.jpg