Other SSUSA Commitment Line

That's odd. Nowhere does SSUSA state that this would be an appeal play. ASA doesn't treat this as an appeal play, either.

just saying what we did...as the ump never made an immediate out call....why do i know..i was called out for going over even tho i showed the ump where my foot had slide to a stop about a foot before the line...but he called the out on an appeal from the other team....so he must have seen what happen(or didn't ) but didn't make an out call before the appeal....

yance

Addicted to Softballfans
That's odd. Nowhere does SSUSA state that this would be an appeal play. ASA doesn't treat this as an appeal play, either.

Since SSUSA crossing back across the commitment line is an out and the ball remains live. If the ump does not call the runner out. You would have to protest and if denied, play the game under protest.

Since SSUSA crossing back across the commitment line is an out and the ball remains live. If the ump does not call the runner out. You would have to protest and if denied, play the game under protest.

i checked with ssusa and they did say it is an automatic call out for going back across the line....so if the ump doesn't call it immediately then i'm gonna say he didn't see it and an appeal shouldn't hold up.....so a protest would be useless...

yance

Addicted to Softballfans
I always try to get the ump to acknowledge what happened first so several people hear him. Then I repeat it again and then tell him what the rule says. Then he is arguing the rule and I can protest. If he says he didn't see it your toast unless there are two umps and you can ask him to see if the other ump saw it differently.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I always try to get the ump to acknowledge what happened first so several people hear him. Then I repeat it again and then tell him what the rule says. Then he is arguing the rule and I can protest. If he says he didn't see it your toast unless there are two umps and you can ask him to see if the other ump saw it differently.

That's not a bad way to handle it. No problem with it here!

ureout

The Veteran
i checked with ssusa and they did say it is an automatic call out for going back across the line....so if the ump doesn't call it immediately then i'm gonna say he didn't see it and an appeal shouldn't hold up.....so a protest would be useless...

I still have a question about the wording of rule below....the way I read it is that once the runner crosses the line (b) states that he must continue hometherefore if he reverses his direction he should be called out....I'm going to post this on the SSUSA site for a directors answer....1.15 • COMMITMENT LINE
A three foot commitment line shall be marked across and perpendicular to the
foul line and placed thirty feet from home plate. Once a runner has crossed the
commitment line he: (a) cannot return to third base; (b) must continue home; (c)
can no long be tagged out by the defensive player; the defensive player must
touch the strike zone mat.

ureout

The Veteran
I still have a question about the wording of rule below....the way I read it is that once the runner crosses the line (b) states that he must continue hometherefore if he reverses his direction he should be called out....I'm going to post this on the SSUSA site for a directors answer....1.15 • COMMITMENT LINE
A three foot commitment line shall be marked across and perpendicular to the
foul line and placed thirty feet from home plate. Once a runner has crossed the
commitment line he: (a) cannot return to third base; (b) must continue home; (c)
can no long be tagged out by the defensive player; the defensive player must
touch the strike zone mat.

I recieved a response from SSUSA and their interpretation is that the runner can stop and even turn around after passing the commitment line, but the runner may not re-cross the line and go back toward 3RD....if they do the umpire should immediately call the runner out and the ball remains live