starting from zero to back on top

scabnews

Addicted to Softballfans
Took 7 swings today. Was making pretty decent contact. After #5, I knew it was almost over. My leg just ain't ready yet.

scabnews

Addicted to Softballfans
Went to physical therapy at lunch time today. Did 6 miles on a Greg lemond bike which is basically an exercise bike that makes you feel like a sissy. Then I did 4 miles on a stepper. Then I got introduced to the foam roller. You use a foam roller to rest all of your body weight on your recently fractured femur while a man asks you if you feel anything. I told him I feel like my leg is breaking again and he chuckled.

scabnews

Addicted to Softballfans
It's been a while, so here's an update. I'm up and walking all the time now, which puts me 2-3 months ahead of schedule. I go to P.T. 3 days a week now which starts on a Greg LeMond training bike. I think Greg hated his legs because that thing is pretty tough. First couple of minutes hurt the quad, then it gets better. I do a bunch of stability exercises, then they wrp a seatbelt around my hip and pull it in and out of the socket a little. It is unpleasant.

I am now allowed to stretch my quads and hamstrings. It has been a couple of months. It is good. Very good. i got cleared to start dual leg pressing yesterday. I will be at the rec center when they open tomorrow morning. I asked when I can start running again and the lady said "Don't even think about it." I told her that spring ball starts in April and she said "Don't even think about it." But I keep beating the clock. Who knows?

scabnews

Addicted to Softballfans
Had a great p.t. session this week. I have turned up the resistance on all of the cardio machines I use. I have started setting distance and time goals for each machine. When I hit the goal, I add a minute to the overall time and try to put in an extra half mile. I'm doing some weighted squats now and a bunch of stability exercises that make me look a little less stupid each week.

scabnews

Addicted to Softballfans
Been awhile so here's the update. No more cardio on the machines at p.t. ABout 2 hours of strength and stability exercises 3 days a week. Lot of lunge variations. Lot of squat variations. Lot of (poor) jumping. I ran a little bit the other day until my wife caught me. Coordination for running is not there yet. Strength is picking up little by little. I'm using the elliptical at rec center on the days I don't go to p.t. or play ball. Just got my first p.t. bill and pooped a little.

scabnews

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm getting better at lunges, which isn't saying much. I had the plate taken out about 3 weeks ago, and my hip feels a lot better for it. It still hurts if I have to sit in a car seat for an hour or so. I hit a couple to the fence this week, but I'm still all arms for right now. I legged out a double or two, but the guys on the bench said I looked like a 3 legged dog.

scabnews

Addicted to Softballfans
I ran last night. Ran about 100 feet. Not super fast, just testing out extending the stride. It was awesome. I've been doing hundreds of lunges in the pool on days I don't do P.T. and wanted to give it a try. My butt cheek wants to fall off today, but I kind of ran yesterday.

scabnews

Addicted to Softballfans
I legged out my first triple this week. I love fields with no fences. My coach said i run like a dog that's been shot. Oh well, it's progress.

scabnews

Addicted to Softballfans
Threw my back and legs out doing kettlebell swings Saturday. Still took bp yesterday. Might have been questionable.

scabnews

Addicted to Softballfans
Looks like you're right. Ulna is fractured, ulnar nerve exposed and there are "loose bodies" in the elbow cavity.