Stolen softballs

briney11

Addicted to Softballfans
So I decided that I would take advantage of one one the last (if not the last) warm days of the year and hit a few balls. So I drive over to Maryville, MO to Donaldson park and pull out my tee and hit. I counted 16 balls that went over the RF fence today. So because of where I had to park compared to where the balls were, I decided to pick up the ones inside and then drive around to get the homerun balls. But when I get there, I only find 11. So I kept looking and looking and nothing. The area is pretty wide open and there isn't anywhere that balls are gonna get lost so I thought it was weird. Then I recalled that there were a couple of city workers buzzing around out there. So I go to ask them about it and they get into their trucks and leave. They wouldn't even look at me but the one guy had this smug smirk on his face. I am pretty sure that the city worker picked them up and took them. I was right there!!!!!:mad::rippedhand: I mean, it's one thing if I just took off and let them there. But when I'm out there that's called theft where I come from.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Must be a Missouri thing. I had pretty much the same exact thing happen to me a couple weeks ago lol. Lady made off with an armload of BP Rockets and 44 maxes. I was pissed!

Evil Ball is the most stolen ball of the 2000s. Many of our customers complain they go to retrieve their HR balls and they are gone or a week later they see the "Other" team with Evils with their team name on um. Since Evils last so long we dont hate that this happens:D

Dan411

Star Player
That sucks man. I have seen people snaking them during league play, like during the games..minutes after they're hit over the fence. Like LSX said, must be a MO thing. I have had dogs make off with a few balls over the years. Possibility?

That is the situation where the Easton Hammer is actually still relevant. They got stolen property, they aint stopping, turn their trucks into body jobs!!

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Can peeps just stop calling it bp and start calling it HR Derby.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Probably the heaviest lifting those city workers have done in years.

RC#13

Part Time Player
Take them to peoples court. judge Whapner played ball.

Rusty the bailiff played "B's" back in the day. Actually played with Ray Dimarini. Dude used to hit bombs and could pick at 3rd base. Later in his career he moved to the bump and was all world's a few times before finishing his career at first base. He is credited with coining the phrases "if you ain't cheating you ain't trying." And "Wear it beaver." I even hear that at one tourney in the early 70's Rusty hit a bomb to dead center and apparently was the first to say "Oooooooooppps!" There are a few episodes(not sure if YouTube or something has them) where you can see he goes to the defendant to get a piece of evidence and sort of snaps the guy off after grabbing it. I could have sworn there was a thread talking about it sometime back.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
I confronted a lady walking her dog once after I watched her pull out a bag and pick up a half dozen of my balls and then start walking briskly away. I caught up to her, asked for the balls back, and she told me (lied) that she had found them on an adjacent field. Needless to say, I got the balls back and I gave her a piece of my mind.

I'm fairly certain the woman that took my softballs was the same person I had to chase down to get one back a few days before. There was a woman and a couple of children walking down the road and a ball had rolled out by the road. Her son picks it up and keeps walking with it. I jog out there and ask for the ball back and he tosses it to me with no argument. I hear his mother say under her breath "Yeah, because you don't have enough or anything". Couple of days later a lady stops and picks up and armload of softballs. Looks up at me on the field and then turns and heads towards her car, opens the back door and throws them in. I was figuring maybe she didn't want to walk all the way back up to the fence to throw them over so she'll just drive them up. She walks back around her car and looks right at me then gets in and drives off. I couldn't do anything but watch in disbelief. I probably wouldn't have cared if it wasn't a bunch of BP Rockets and 44 maxes I just paid for a month ago. I figure it must have been the mom of that kid, just trying to be a spiteful *****. Hard to tell from how far away she was, but they were both built somewhat the same and had the same hair color. Just my speculation.

yellowmein

BP on a Tee
You guys need to do it like the pros and have autographed photos, bats, gloves, balls, etc to hand out to all the ladies. Those are your fans and you take away their claim to your fame when you take back what is rightfully theirs. Start signing autographs in line at the grocery store as well.

I dont lose any during bp due to the fact i barely hit the grass behind the infielders.

Keep hitting bombs. People love it.

scuderia

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd imagine if I had to pay for softballs I'd also be angry about people stealing them. :eek:

mlpower

Swingin'!
Evil Ball is the most stolen ball of the 2000s. Many of our customers complain they go to retrieve their HR balls and they are gone or a week later they see the "Other" team with Evils with their team name on um. Since Evils last so long we dont hate that this happens:D

THIS DEFINITELY HAPPENS. I've lost too many Evils. I've had over three dozen of them go missing. I only have two left and they have other team's names on them LMAO. I guess what goes around comes around!

mattya420

Manager
There's a guy who drives by our league games and steals homerun balls all the time. A couple guys from one team hid in the bushes and caught him last year. They locked him in his trunk and took his cell phone. Cops got involved.....guys got charged....ball stealing guy got let go and was never seen again. Moral of the story?...........I have no freaking idea

MULuke

League Night Hero
Just an idea. Hit BP from center field toward the backstop. The fence is taller, and the fence will funnel most of the balls toward home plate. Keeps them inside the fence for the most part and there's much less wandering around looking for wayward balls. Very simple if you're hitting off a tee, just adjust your stance if you want to work on hitting backside.

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
Just an idea. Hit BP from center field toward the backstop. The fence is taller, and the fence will funnel most of the balls toward home plate. Keeps them inside the fence for the most part and there's much less wandering around looking for wayward balls. Very simple if you're hitting off a tee, just adjust your stance if you want to work on hitting backside.

I do this, but I dont try to hit HR's in BP. Also many times, beyond that fence is a road or some hazard.

Rega17

'MERICA
Must be a Missouri thing. I had pretty much the same exact thing happen to me a couple weeks ago lol. Lady made off with an armload of BP Rockets and 44 maxes. I was pissed!

You ever play at spain park down here in the bham area? Hit a bomb during a late night game and immediately jogged out to get the ball. To my surprise it was nowhere to be found. Asked some guys in the parking lot and they said a guy in a dump truck stopped to grab it and sped off :confused:
Just about the dumbest cover up ever..

RC#13

Part Time Player

This is sort of what I do. I'm usually hitting off a tee by myself at the park. I spray a bucket of balls to the outfield then walk out to them and hit them back.

Ballisttic

Star Player
Its don't matter what field i hit bp in around here the indigenous (male, female, kid ) will pick up a ball every time i go hit. I have to go get homeruns asap or they will vanish.