Stuck at Catcher

Deanog

My senior slow pitch softball league team drafted me in November for my first full season in the league. My manager announced to me immediately after drafting me that I would be the designated catcher for the year. HIs reasoning was that I was one of four players with the lowest rating and it was my first season, and the others had more seniority. The ratings are very subjective, not thorough and highly weighted toward power hitting. After two practices it became obvious to me and my teammates that I was a better fielder at second base, and for that matter could have been better at most positions given the chance to show them. I can run and my arm is better than all but maybe three on my team. I have gotten into three games at second base in our first 21 games. I have never been given the opportunity to play outfield, or even practice there. We seldom have fielding practice, and at this stage, even if I get in the field, I will feel immense pressure to not screw up, while being rusty from not playing games in the field. We've had numerous subs from other teams, all of which play the field while I stay at catcher. I feel totally disregarded and that my season is a waste of my time. I feel like quitting. Please tell me what you think I should do.

UncleMosk

Are you in every game as a catcher? If so then I would take it and just continue to show during practices when you can your other talents. Don't underestimate the position. I'd rather have a catcher who could catch, back up bad throws and know how to psychologically screw with a batter in the box anyday!

blakcherry329

I would never quit. Definitely wouldn't come back next year, but wouldn't quit. Have a talk with your manager about his reasoning behind the decision. It can't just be about hitting because you're playing every game at catcher, correct?
Shag flies during BP, like a game situation. Maybe a bell will go off and he'll think about throwing you out there. Also, you can't play scared when you do get out there. Just play your game, don't overthink it.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
If you have the physicality to play other positions they WILL put you there. In senior ball they need every healthy body they can get to play OF.

All the guys I see catching can usually hit decent, but can't run or play defense for crap.

UncleMosk

If you have the physicality to play other positions they WILL put you there. In senior ball they need every healthy body they can get to play OF.

All the guys I see catching can usually hit decent, but can't run or play defense for crap.
Must be why they put me there!

Deanog

Thanks much for the comments guys- really appreciate it. Yes I play every game at catcher. We have eleven fielders- I've played 2nd base 3 games out of 21. One of the my teammates told me after the second practice that the manager is not stupid and he can see I should be playing 2nd base. Well he may not be stupid, but there is a definite stigma about catcher in my league and my manager obviously doesn't want to offend anyone else on the team by putting them at catcher. I also hit well and my average is probably as high as anyone on the team, but I bat 10th in the lineup out of 11. What I worry the most about is that the rest of the league thinks I must suck in the field and they won't draft me next year to play anything but catcher. I thought about drafting up a rule change request where no one is forced to play catcher more than a certain number of games, or it must be shared in some way. Anyway, the entitlement shown by the players in this league is something to behold. We have had numerous people on 3rd base, none of which can even get the ball to first base, yet they'll juggle the lineup for subs and put people where they can't play and leave me at catcher every time. Thanks for letting me vent guys. I'll play the season out and probably won't be back in the Spring.

blakcherry329

Sounds like a bunch of friends that are sacrificing winning for feelings. smh. Nobody assumes the catcher sucks until he does. Then we tell everyone to draw a throw cuz this mofo can't catch, but I digress. ;)
If you hit and can run a little, some other teams will notice for next year. Hell, you're catching, just ask batters every game. lol

10R

Addicted to Softballfans
Get to know players on the other teams, ask around who needs players. I think the majority of having fun playing softball is if you like your teammates. Don't waste too much time on a team you don't like playing for them.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
If you can get more than one at bat thru a 15,16,17 man lineup consider yourself lucky 🙄

I'll never understand how senior teams do that. I ump a senior league, and they routinely bat 15-16 people every week. Everyone's getting 1, maybe 2 ABs in a 7 inning game.

Any team that takes the game seriously is going to bat 10 or 11.