Stupid League Rules

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans
I play league COED with my GF and the league just implemented a new rule for this season:

"When a female is batting, all outfielders must be positioned equidistant from home plate."

In other words, no rover or single outfielders playing up is allowed. All OF can play up, or no OF can play up.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
This like most league rules usually are well intentioned and fail miserably. Coed line makes far more sense.

blakcherry329

Geez, can you let the girls get a hit, every now and then??? I don't see a problem here.(unless the you're "Over competitive CoEd Softball Guy")

zuke 37

Star Player
Simple solution: No force outs at any base, from the outfield. That settles also the pinch runners situation.

SammyJaxxx

Starting Player
I've got a stupider league rule.
In my town Men's rec league, each team is allowed on bunt per game.
I love the league and it is the most fun league I have ever played in, but I hate this rule.

LoudMouf

Starting Player
The OP probably just had that moment when he realozed he was being the overly competitive co-ed guy. Lol

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think they meant it to be the coed line and just suck at English.

I hate playing where you're out if you slide. If you play anywhere else you'll probably forget and be out at least once in your life.

fitzpats

AKA - The Anti Ringer
One bunt per game sounds like a very fun time, and could make for some interesting strategy on when and how to use it. That's something that I would like to see more often in leagues.

Some league rules that I've seen that can be interesting:

Hits a leaf on a tree in fair territory, no pitch and reset the bases.
Roof of the barn is a HR, but play the side like the "Green Monster"
Unlimited runners from the box, but only one runner per inning on the bases

Stupid league rules that I've heard:

Commit lines
Plate & Mat strikes (in non-no limit leagues)

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
I'm glad we don't have the coed line, but we do have the commit line and safety line. I voted against both, but I was outvoted by every other manager in the league. Somehow after 3 weeks we also went from 6-12' pitches to unlimited arc because two substitute umps didn't know the league rules and let a bunch of weird crap happen.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love the mat for strikes, and would like to try a plate as a strike league. I don't think I'm exaggerating in saying that 90% of umps call strikes solely based on where they land anyway.

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
I voted in favor of having the plate be a strike. Last year, we had no mat, and the ump was calling strikes based on where they crossed the body. As a pitcher, I didn't mind it, but after playing Fall ball in a plate and mat league I saw more consistency in balls and strikes. So now my Summer league is plate and mat as well. I think it forces the batter to swing at more pitches since the strike zone is a little bigger. It is just rec league anyways, but there's a few older guys who will stare a pitch straight to the ground instead of swinging. Walks are a part of the game, but it's rec softball, if it's close swing at it.

pontiacfb78

Star Player
Our coed league has a few odd rules. All male fielders must be at least 175ft from the plate until the ball crosses the plate when a female batter is up. So if you have girls in the field, its an advantage. Used to be 150, but that was a bit too close for a lot of the girls. We used to have a rule stating that girls couldn't be thrown out at 1B from the field, but they changed it a few years ago.

By far the worst rule, is lead offs are an out. No anticipation. take your foot off the bag after the pitch is thrown, and the batter doesn't hit the ball, your out. Makes runners way slower, but can help keep them on the bag if they need to tag up.

We have the typical commitment line at 20ft from home. I actually used it to my advantage yesterday. catcher and pitcher were standing on the 3B line 15ft from home with the ball on the ground. I ran from 3B. Catcher tries to tag me, I'm automatically safe because you cant tag a runner past the commitment line. Kind of a **** move, but 7 years of playing and I just realized that it was possible.

I also agree. 1 bunt per game in men's would be fun. You would have to know when and how to bunt to pull it off, which most guys don't because they usually aren't allowed.

Joker

Our coed league has a few odd rules. All male fielders must be at least 175ft from the plate until the ball crosses the plate when a female batter is up. So if you have girls in the field, its an advantage. Used to be 150, but that was a bit too close for a lot of the girls. We used to have a rule stating that girls couldn't be thrown out at 1B from the field, but they changed it a few years ago.

By far the worst rule, is lead offs are an out. No anticipation. take your foot off the bag after the pitch is thrown, and the batter doesn't hit the ball, your out. Makes runners way slower, but can help keep them on the bag if they need to tag up.

We have the typical commitment line at 20ft from home. I actually used it to my advantage yesterday. catcher and pitcher were standing on the 3B line 15ft from home with the ball on the ground. I ran from 3B. Catcher tries to tag me, I'm automatically safe because you cant tag a runner past the commitment line. Kind of a **** move, but 7 years of playing and I just realized that it was possible.

I also agree. 1 bunt per game in men's would be fun. You would have to know when and how to bunt to pull it off, which most guys don't because they usually aren't allowed.

wut ?

Exparrot

Courtesy step is what we call it.

Most people don't realize ASA doesn't care if you do backflips on the base after the ball hits. Once it reaches the ground (or catcher's glove) it's fair game.

Last edited:

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Let the women use senior bats and you wouldn't need that rule.
I am in favor of this. I just hate having to run up from the co-ed line to get those good hits the girls get that go over IF but fall in front of OF. Pretty much indefensible if it doesn't have enough loft. I would much rather the ball make it all the way to me cuz **** those girls.

... it's co-ed.

This is the ultimate answer though.

Softball101tc

Addicted to Softballfans
I am in favor of this. I just hate having to run up from the co-ed line to get those good hits the girls get that go over IF but fall in front of OF. Pretty much indefensible if it doesn't have enough loft. I would much rather the ball make it all the way to me cuz **** those girls.

This is the ultimate answer though.

Having girls use senior bats/different bats isn't a bad idea in theory...but most umps don't know/don't check the difference between bats. I'd venture to guess that 50% of the time the dude following her could pick up the same bat and the ump wouldn't even notice.

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
one bunt sounds like a fantastic rule. only problem i see is someone fake squaring and then lining a ball into a charging fielders teeth. that would more than likely end that rule.