ASA Stupid question... no doubt.

Loki520

ASA

Pitch count is 1-2.
Batter decides he wants to argue strikes and balls.
Blue ejects him, calls the at-bat an "out" and moves on to next batter.

Ejected batter then starts to protest that, even though he is ejected, it should NOT be an out... and the next batter should assume his pitch count.

Doesn't sound like any kind of rule I've ever heard of, and told him so. But... three days later and he is still whining about it, even went to the Tourney Director (MWR league ball on overseas military base).

Out? Or carried over pitch count?

oveezy

Addicted to Softballfans
What has happened to our military... We are a bread of cry babies.... This stuff would not fly when I was in.... Out just for crying... I do believe the next batter goes to bat with the standing count... could be wrong

Loki520

Well.... in the blue's defense... this guy is overly dramatic about EVERY play, whether it goes against him or not. And he is constantly giving the blue a hard time over pitch height, and I know the blue is getting it right most of the time. You know that very loud guy... the loudest on the field... who ALWAYS has to offer his opinion in a voice that can be heard 100 yards away? Yea... this is "that guy".

I just haven't seen the rule that allows the standing count.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
My understanding of ASA rules would be that the substitute that enters the game for the ejected batter would assume the count the ejected batter had. If there is no legal substitute than you would have a forfeit according to ASA rules.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
My understanding of ASA rules would be that the substitute that enters the game for the ejected batter would assume the count the ejected batter had. If there is no legal substitute than you would have a forfeit according to ASA rules.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

His substitute assumes his count. If no legal substitute is available for the ejected player, game over.

CC-Ump

Part Time Player
Around here most teams are using a continuous batting order, so what we would have is an out for the batter (no sub available due to everyone batting) and an out in that spot in the order everytime it comes up due to the ejection.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Unfortunately, that's something you have to deal with in the case of local modifications. Many times, the modification is made in the name of participation (continuous batting order, for example) and they don't address the short handed rule after that. Batting 14? But one person can't continue (hurt, ejected, wife called to say come home, etc.). Now you're down to 13. You're not technically "short handed" by rule, so do you take the out? Some leagues say yes, take the out (as above), others say take the out only when you drop below a certain number (like 10 for SP or 9 for FP).

I drive my local assignor crazy with questions like that whenever he sets me up in a league I haven't called before and I get ahold of the rule changes. He knows to expect it, though.

sjury

The Old Man
LMAO... We play that the next time the batters turn comes up it's an out, then we just play with 9, or 10 and no penalty.

Figure that one out.

rmeman

Addicted to Softballfans
It doesnt sound like he was subbed for. It says he was called out. And a new batter was at bat. So if thats the case the new batter should start with a 0-0 count or whatever they use. But yes if he was subbed for the batter should have kept the count

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
It doesnt sound like he was subbed for. It says he was called out. And a new batter was at bat. So if thats the case the new batter should start with a 0-0 count or whatever they use. But yes if he was subbed for the batter should have kept the count

Right - the way it was handled isn't in line with ASA rules which are designed for championship play. In ASA championship play, the ejected individual is out of the game (and must leave) and you must provide a legal substitute for him. That substitute assumes the pitch count since the at-bat was not completed. If no legal substitute is available, it's a forfeit.

It's a different situation if the player became injured during the at-bat. Let's say he has a 1-1 count and takes a big swing and fouls one off but at the same time, tore something in his knee. Now, he's got a 1-2 count and cannot continue. If no substitute is available for him, you can take the out and play short handed. The next batter comes up with a new count (1-1 in slow pitch). You then take an out for the player that has left each time through the lineup.

All of that said, local rules can be made to say anything. The aforementioned continuous order or strange substitution rules, etc. can lead to confusion like this - even among the umpires.