Substitution Question

Kinger10

This happened in a varsity high school game the other day.

#4 is supposed to be the batter. #5 steps into the batter's box instead (#5 has not been in the game previously). #5 tries to bunt the first pitch but fouls it off. The batting team's coach calls time and says I forgot to tell you that #5 is batting for #4. Fielding team thinks that it should be an automatic out since the wrong girl batted.

In this situation, the umpire let #5 continue her at bat.

Thoughts?

Country469

I've never once heard of any kind of baseball or softball where you don't have to report in as a sub/pinch hitter before entering the field of play. Out.

Kinger10

The fielding team argued that they didn't have a chance to object. Their point was that they had to wait until a pitch was thrown to protest the illegal batter. Is that correct?

Duriisimo

Aguilucho
The fielding team argued that they didn't have a chance to object. Their point was that they had to wait until a pitch was thrown to protest the illegal batter. Is that correct?

They need to wait and see if she got on base, then protest before the first pitch to the next batter.

Country469

Batting out of order is an out as soon as a pitch is thrown, and if you did not report in before that pitch, you have batted in someone else's spot

watsonrg

This isn't that difficult.

ASA

Rule 7 Sec 2 (d)

If batting out of order is discovered:

1)While the incorrect batter is at bat

A)The correct batter must take the batter's position and assume the ball / strike count.

Country469

2-65-2, 8-1-1c, 8-4-3a, 9-6-2: The coach, pitcher or catcher of the defensive team may request an intentional walk either before or during the pitch count. Rationale:This change to allow intentional walks was enacted to align fast pitch and slow pitch rules, to keep up with current trends of the sport, and also to maximize the flow of the game.

Essentially you're out as as soon as its discovered then?

Duriisimo

Aguilucho
2-65-2, 8-1-1c, 8-4-3a, 9-6-2: The coach, pitcher or catcher of the defensive team may request an intentional walk either before or during the pitch count. Rationale:This change to allow intentional walks was enacted to align fast pitch and slow pitch rules, to keep up with current trends of the sport, and also to maximize the flow of the game.

Essentially you're out as as soon as its discovered then?

If the batter becomes a runner and the defense appeals/protest before the 1st pitch to the next batter, we have an out

Country469

Point'em to first base, they become a runner. Out. So any coach/player with half a brain makes the rule basically out as soon as in the box. Even weirder than having to complete a full ab. this rule is ****ed man.

Duriisimo

Aguilucho
Point'em to first base, they become a runner. Out. So any coach/player with half a brain makes the rule basically out as soon as in the box. Even weirder than having to complete a full ab. this rule is ****ed man.

Happened to the Mets a few days ago

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
I think the key here is the batting team's coach realized it not the pitching team. Because they caught it first, they can call time and make the switch . If the fielding team would have discovered it first, they could have walked the batter and got the out. This sounds like the pitching team didn't realize it until after the hitting team switched. Why else wouldn't they have walked her? Unless they realized it and didn't think about the intentional walk. That could be the case because NFHS just added the rule for 2018.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Happened to the Mets a few days ago
That is unbelievable. When I saw this, I thought how in the hell does this happen at the MLB level with as many coaches and team personnel as they have. They are supposed to be professionals.

Kinger10

If bases were loaded and the fielding team intentionally walked the girl in order to get her called out, what would happen to the other runners? Would they revert back to previous bases? Would a run score and the other girls remain on 2nd and 3rd?

Duriisimo

Aguilucho
If bases were loaded and the fielding team intentionally walked the girl in order to get her called out, what would happen to the other runners? Would they revert back to previous bases? Would a run score and the other girls remain on 2nd and 3rd?

No run scores, runners go back ,correct batter is called out, next batter in the order is due up.

wcoastsoftball

Duriisimo is correct. We had this happen in softball. Ump called the batter out, I corrected him and said it is not an out unless batter reaches base. He yells at me saying someone has to be out, and calls me an idiot.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
How is this batting out of order? Sounds like an unannounced substitute to me.

You started you quite a little late.
#4 is supposed to be the batter. #5 steps into the batter's box instead (#5 has not been in the game previously)

The lineup has been submitted so it doesnt matter #5 hasn't been in the game yet.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
How is this batting out of order? Sounds like an unannounced substitute to me.

You are correct, but the result is the same. As long as the offense catches this first, the new batter has now entered the game and continues his/her at bat

Duriisimo

Aguilucho
No, this is an unreported substitute. The original batter is out of the game. Cannot call someone not in the game out
You are correct some how I confused this with batting out of order. The unreported sub becomes legal when he/she takes her place in the box, mound, defense.. See below

NCAA Rules - An unreported offensive substitute becomes legal when he takes his position: an unreported pitcher, when he reaches the mound. An unreported defensive sub becomes legal when he reaches his position and play commences. (5-5-g 1 through 4) PENALTY FOR FAILURE TO REPORT- NONE