Sunday morning rant.

jdsebastian85

The Veteran
So we are in the losers bracket in a small NSA tournament. Top 7th, 2 outs, runner on first. I'm at second, ball is hit high in the infield between first and second. Ump calls infield fly rule, I home in on the ball, stick my glove up to catch it, and bam. I am leveled by the runner that was on first. I hit the ground sucking wind. At this point I can't breathe and am in some of the worst pain I have ever felt. Go to the ER, I have a bunch of bruised ribs and a possible small crack in a couple. I am out for 2-4 weeks.

I just don't understand why people would want to try to injure other folks. This team was clearly drunk, belligerent, and talked **** the whole game. I am very competitive and want to win, but we all have families and jobs. It's just non sense in my opinion.

Side note. We drink too, but we can handle our beer like adults. Rant over.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
I would look into suing him for medical expenses and compensation for lost any time at work. He needs to be held accountable. Might not be possible, but that sounds like an intentional act with a likely result of injury. And it wasn't just part of the game. That's unsportsmanlike conduct that should have resulted in an ejection.

WillW3

Starting Player
How did your team keep their cool during all this? A few guys I've played with would've gone to jail for something like that lol

jdsebastian85

The Veteran
Update. Local ER calls back, radiologist reviewed the X-rays. Fractured 6th and 7th rib. Thank god I just got promoted from a physical job to a desk job. I would be screwed if I was in the old position.

Beernbombs, as much as I would like to, it probably wouldn't be worth the effort and time. I am fortunate enough to have great healthcare, so my cost will be minimal.

Willww3, it got dicey. But we are fortunate enough to have a bunch of mild tempered guys. As bad as I wanted to get up and confront the guy, I was done.

I appreciate it guys! Hopefully Ill be back in a couple of weeks!

Sugar

Addicted to Softballfans
First of all, nobody on the team was drunk. I pitched against you the whole game, and I do talk a lot, but I don't drink at all.

Secondly, infield fly was never called.

Furthermore, your description is highly inaccurate. There was 2 outs. You made an attempt on the ball, missed it off your glove and THEN the collision happened. It was not while you were trying to catch it. Huf is a big boy and he did hit you like a truck, but it was not intentional at all. He was also not drunk, like you said. He allowed you to make a play on the ball and then he ran into you. He was called out and the umpires explained to me why. I am ok with the call and he was, too. He's a lot bigger than you, that's why you got hurt. Not because he wanted to hurt you.

As for the "**** talking" as you stated, your team was chirping, too. We just don't cry about it. Your catcher said verbatim, "Middles open!" when I hit one past your pitcher. Did I jump on SBF and make a thread about it? Get over it.

Nothing got "dicey"... ever. It would have been a mistake on your alls part, if it did and you know it. I'm not trying to act like some hard ass online at all, don't get me wrong. I'm just telling you that we both know your team did not and does not want that problem. We weren't trying to fight you, we were trying to win. And we did. Your injury is unfortunate but it did not affect the outcome of the game. You all scored 4 in the first and probably 2 or 3 the rest of the game. Hope you get better, man. No reason to come on here and post this, though. Especially when you didn't tell the whole story. PM me if you want to talk about it some more. I'll shoot you my number.

Joker

So we are in the losers bracket in a small NSA tournament. Top 7th, 2 outs, runner on first. I'm at second, ball is hit high in the infield between first and second. Ump calls infield fly rule, I home in on the ball, stick my glove up to catch it, and bam. I am leveled by the runner that was on first. I hit the ground sucking wind. At this point I can't breathe and am in some of the worst pain I have ever felt. Go to the ER, I have a bunch of bruised ribs and a possible small crack in a couple. I am out for 2-4 weeks.

I just don't understand why people would want to try to injure other folks. This team was clearly drunk, belligerent, and talked **** the whole game. I am very competitive and want to win, but we all have families and jobs. It's just non sense in my opinion.

Side note. We drink too, but we can handle our beer like adults. Rant over.

First of all, nobody on the team was drunk. I pitched against you the whole game, and I do talk a lot, but I don't drink at all.

Secondly, infield fly was never called.

Furthermore, your description is highly inaccurate. There was 2 outs. You made an attempt on the ball, missed it off your glove and THEN the collision happened. It was not while you were trying to catch it. Huf is a big boy and he did hit you like a truck, but it was not intentional at all. He was also not drunk, like you said. He allowed you to make a play on the ball and then he ran into you. He was called out and the umpires explained to me why. I am ok with the call and he was, too. He's a lot bigger than you, that's why you got hurt. Not because he wanted to hurt you.

As for the "**** talking" as you stated, your team was chirping, too. We just don't cry about it. Your catcher said verbatim, "Middles open!" when I hit one past your pitcher. Did I jump on SBF and make a thread about it? Get over it.

Nothing got "dicey"... ever. It would have been a mistake on your alls part, if it did and you know it. I'm not trying to act like some hard ass online at all, don't get me wrong. I'm just telling you that we both know your team did not and does not want that problem. We weren't trying to fight you, we were trying to win. And we did. Your injury is unfortunate but it did not affect the outcome of the game. You all scored 4 in the first and probably 2 or 3 the rest of the game. Hope you get better, man. No reason to come on here and post this, though. Especially when you didn't tell the whole story. PM me if you want to talk about it some more. I'll shoot you my number.

oh yes, this happens so rarely on here

zuke 37

Star Player
Call the ambulance chaser. There go to be one that will try to take the case.

Either discription doesn't sound like a kosher play.

Sugar

Addicted to Softballfans
Either discription doesn't sound like a kosher play.

:noidea:

It was a large man running hard from 1st to 2nd (with 2 outs like he should be) on an infield fly ball. The 2B made a play on the ball, missed and took at least one step forward to try to pick it up. The 2B was about 6 feet from 2nd base, in the runner's path. A collision happened when the large base runner couldn't stop on a dime to avoid the much smaller 2B. Infield fly was CORRECTLY not called as there were 2 outs. The umpire originally called BOTH the runner and the batter safe, THEN talked to the UIC behind the backstop and called the runner out, ending the inning.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
:noidea:

It was a large man running hard from 1st to 2nd (with 2 outs like he should be) on an infield fly ball. The 2B made a play on the ball, missed and took at least one step forward to try to pick it up. The 2B was about 6 feet from 2nd base, in the runner's path. A collision happened when the large base runner couldn't stop on a dime to avoid the much smaller 2B. Infield fly was CORRECTLY not called as there were 2 outs. The umpire originally called BOTH the runner and the batter safe, THEN talked to the UIC behind the backstop and called the runner out, ending the inning.

Thats why OP's team didnt want trouble...lol...

On a more serious note...hope you have a speedy recovery man..

Joker

its still the runners responsibility to not collide with the fielder. the umps got the call correct in the end, but your runner injured the fielder in the process. not kosher

Joker

PxALuWs.jpg

Sugar

Addicted to Softballfans
its still the runners responsibility to not collide with the fielder. the umps got the call correct in the end, but your runner injured the fielder in the process. not kosher

He got called out and he was fine with it. The contact was not even intentional, let alone malicious. I'm not saying he should have ran into the guy. Anyone's opinion of 'kosher' or not is lost on me. I'm just properly explaining what happened, nothing more. Facts only.

GrinningBear

World's deadliest house husband
He allowed you to make a play on the ball and then he ran into you. He was called out and the umpires explained to me why. I am ok with the call and he was, too. He's a lot bigger than you, that's why you got hurt. Not because he wanted to hurt you.

Awful sweet of him to allow the play before trucking a guy. He could delay but not avoid a collision?

Pretty easy to get the flavor of personalities here. OP complains about being hurt, the response is, "we weren't going to fight, BUT if we did..." and mention 3 things that would make it a mistake on their part. Just couldn't quite help the veiled threats? :cool:

Joker

He got called out and he was fine with it. The contact was not even intentional, let alone malicious. I'm not saying he should have ran into the guy. Anyone's opinion of 'kosher' or not is lost on me. I'm just properly explaining what happened, nothing more. Facts only.
not kosher means the guy should have gotten out of the fielders way. sounds like he had plenty of time to

Sugar

Addicted to Softballfans
Awful sweet of him to allow the play before trucking a guy. He could delay but not avoid a collision?

Pretty easy to get the flavor of personalities here. OP complains about being hurt, the response is, "we weren't going to fight, BUT if we did..." and mention 3 things that would make it a mistake on their part. Just couldn't quite help the veiled threats? :cool:

I never said he delayed. That's your interpretation of my saying 'he allowed him to make a play on the ball'. He's a big guy and not a speedy guy by any means. When he gets going, it's hard to stop and/or change direction. He wasn't to the bag when the the OP missed the ball.

Also, I wasn't threatening anyone. Nor did I yesterday. They were running their mouths, too. It's softball. If you can't handle it, hop on the golf course. They said nothing out of the way and we didn't either. He said it got "dicey" and it certainly did not. You weren't there and frankly I could not care any less about what flavor you think my personality is. Enjoy your Sunday, chief.

Joker

its not hard for someone, no matter how large, to take a step or 2 one way or the other to avoid contact. you're trying to justify this runner incompetence by saying he's fat

Sugar

Addicted to Softballfans
its not hard for someone, no matter how large, to take a step or 2 one way or the other to avoid contact. you're trying to justify this runner incompetence by saying he's fat

No, I'm not... that's the thing. I'm not justifying anything. I'm telling you that the 2B missed the ball, THEN stepped into the runner's path trying to recover the ball on the ground and that's when he got hit. It's that simple. The 2B was originally behind the path, then stepped into it. The original attempted catch was seconds prior to the collision. He didn't hit him on purpose and he's not fat. He's just a big guy.

Joker

No, I'm not... that's the thing. I'm not justifying anything. I'm telling you that the 2B missed the ball, THEN stepped into the runner's path trying to recover the ball on the ground and that's when he got hit. It's that simple. The 2B was originally behind the path, then stepped into it. The original attempted catch was seconds prior to the collision. He didn't hit him on purpose and he's not fat. He's just a big guy.

you got it backwards, the runner got in the fielders way. you're justifying it by trying to blame the fielder

Sugar

Addicted to Softballfans
you got it backwards, the runner got in the fielders way. you're justifying it by trying to blame the fielder

I'm not blaming anyone. I'm just letting you know what happened. 2 guys collided. If it's the runner's fault, fine. The umpire called him out. Good call, we have no issues.

pontiacfb78

Star Player
When running, it seems like your entire goal would be to avoid the fielder, and more so when he is a step or two away from having the ball in hand for a tag. Sounds like the runners fault.

Joker

I'm not blaming anyone. I'm just letting you know what happened. 2 guys collided. If it's the runner's fault, fine. The umpire called him out. Good call, we have no issues.

except for the issue of the runner breaking the fielders ribs

Sugar

Addicted to Softballfans
When running, it seems like your entire goal would be to avoid the fielder, and more so when he is a step or two away from having the ball in hand for a tag. Sounds like the runners fault.

And if he would have caught the ball, it wouldn't have been an issue. He would have the 3rd out in hand, behind where the runner was running, inning over. He wasn't out there to play Frogger and he had no idea the guy was going to miss the ball. He was doing what he was supposed to be doing, in running hard to advance with 2 outs. It wasn't a dirty play. If they thought it was such, they should have mentioned it yesterday. They didn't. The umpire didn't think it was, nor did the UIC who was directly behind the backstop. What's left to say?

Joker

And if he would have caught the ball, it wouldn't have been an issue. He would have the 3rd out in hand, behind where the runner was running, inning over. He wasn't out there to play Frogger and he had no idea the guy was going to miss the ball. He was doing what he was supposed to be doing, in running hard to advance with 2 outs. It wasn't a dirty play. If they thought it was such, they should have mentioned it yesterday. They didn't. The umpire didn't think it was, nor did the UIC who was directly behind the backstop. What's left to say?

but you're not blaming anyone