Sunglasses question

TurboLumpy

Hum it in there
More of a lens question.

I have really light sensitive eyes, and play outfield. Been rocking a pair of Costa Del Mar polarized grey lenses but I think they let too much sunlight through and I end up losing the ball quite a bit. Any sunglass gurus on here that can recommend a good dark lens?

s.paternostro

Star Player
The 580G Green Mirror Lenses from Costa are the best lenses I have ever come across. I find that the polarized lenses with a mirror effect usually offer the most protection. Just my personal experience with Oakley and Costa Del Mar!

WISEGUY18

Not Very Wise
I wear safety glasses with dark lenses. Bought a box off here a few years ago and I now get them through work. Def not the most fashionable but they are inexpensive and durable and most importantly work great for blocking out sunlight. There were some available in the selling section the other day. If you work in a warehouse type job or factory, see if your employer would buy them!

WillW3

Starting Player
The 580G Green Mirror Lenses from Costa are the best lenses I have ever come across. I find that the polarized lenses with a mirror effect usually offer the most protection. Just my personal experience with Oakley and Costa Del Mar!
I have to agree here. I have 3 pair of Costas, and have owned my share of Oakley's. I personally play in my Oakley's because of the comfort, but you can't go wrong with polarized. Don't be afraid of an expensive pair of shades. They're well worth the money imo.

ninerempire25

Addicted to Softballfans
I wear safety glasses with dark lenses. Bought a box off here a few years ago and I now get them through work. Def not the most fashionable but they are inexpensive and durable and most importantly work great for blocking out sunlight. There were some available in the selling section the other day. If you work in a warehouse type job or factory, see if your employer would buy them!

You talking about the one's I sold ? I've got a few left

denthepitcher

SF Native

^^^^^^^^^^^
This is the way to go.

These are comfortable enough to wear all day.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/allsafe-hellraiser.html?gclid=CJqVkJrLs8QCFQaTfgodBVUADw

rush3969

Addicted to Softballfans
Bad vision maybe? get prescription sun glasses maybe. My vision isn't the worst but the eye doc asked me if I played sports I said yea softball he's like do you lose the ball in the daylight or night under the lights and yes I sure do. He said I don't see how you even follow the ball get a prescription shade it will help alot

he said with my vision just plain old sunglasses won't help with either.

Worth a shot to suggest it

RogueWarrior28

Part Time Player
I would suggest a mirrored or really dark polarized lens like what was mentioned above with a comfortable frame that wont slip around. And if the lights bother you at night maybe a interchangeable frame so you can put a yellow lens in for night games.

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
Polarized lenses affect depth perception, not a good choice for a sport like softball, fishing yes softball no.

WillW3

Starting Player
Polarized lenses affect depth perception, not a good choice for a sport like softball, fishing yes softball no.
This is true to an extent. I wear my Costas for fishing, but I also like a gray tint polarized lens for everyday wear and softball.

Paulypal

Addicted to Softballfans

This is very true. Most polarized lenses will affect depth perception.

Polarized Lenses
Polarized is a big word in the market of baseball sunglasses, but very few athletes know what it actually means. A normal pair of sunglasses will reduce brightness equally over your field of vision. Polarized lenses are capable of reducing the light that reflects off of surfaces in a horizontal beam, the light that most interferes with your vision. Even though manufacturers are getting better at creating polarized lenses without distortion, they aren't there quite yet. Expect that while polarizing will definitely cut down on glare, you may end up feeling like your depth perception is a little off because of the treatment.

If you're going to buy a polarized pair of sunglasses, we suggest choosing some that place the polarized filter between layers of the lens, or that pour it directly into the lens. This technology usually ups the price of the sunglasses, but the benefit is worth it. The alternative is buying a lens with the polarized filter attached to the lenses with adhesive. This method allows the adhesive to break down over time and eventually you'll notice a change in clarity.

WillW3

Starting Player
That's interesting. I can't get away from polarized lenses, simply for the fact of reduced glare.

Paulypal

Addicted to Softballfans
That's interesting. I can't get away from polarized lenses, simply for the fact of reduced glare.

I agree, but unless your going to use a high lense it may hurt more than help.

Kaenon seems to be a big brand in MLB nowadays. There polarized glasses baseball specific run 200+ on their website. I am sure could be had less on Amazon.

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
oakley black iridium or ice blue iridium. best there is

This is absolutely true. I researched thos extensively with doctors, eye surgeons and eyewear companies and the blue iridium lense was the best at seeing the green/yellow balls used today in the daytime.

thoagie1

The Veteran
i use fire red mirrored polarized lenses for my oakleys. has a nice blueish tint to it makes it super easy to pick up the ball in the outfield.

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball

I was going to say this same thing. I cant stand polarized lenses period because of the depth perception and distortion issues. I would never wear a pair for softball.

oakley black iridium or ice blue iridium. best there is

Black iridium is the best Ive found

slomaro

Addicted to Softballfans
I play in my Oakley holbrooks

I do as well . Oakley "black iridium" or "black iridium polarized " will be your darkest and also shatter proof.

Also Edge eye wear make cool safety approved sunglasses for cheaper than oakley .

I'd stay away from the Maui Jim / Ray ban / costa because most of there models have real glass lenses which can be heavy and also dangerous of shatter .

jb_onethree

Addicted to Softballfans
Look into the new oakley Prizm lenses. They offer +red for baseball IF and baseball OF. Designed to contrast the IF dirt and grass, and OF sky.

Evoluvin

Extra Hitter
I'm curently wearing Oakleys when I play. But they have come useless at times. On really hot days they CONSTANTLY fog up. And I have to keep removing them, then putting them back on after every other batter. Very annoying. CanAnyone recommended any ANTI-FOG sunglasses?