Superskin skeptic

pidgeon

Can someone enlighten me on Superskin? To me it looks toy-like, yet on an A2000 it costs the same as a full leather glove. Why so expensive considering pleather usually costs less than real leather? Can anyone vouch for the longevity of SS? How do you condition it (with Armor All)? I can't help but think this is Wilson's long term plan to use less and less leather and go more synthetic. Am I missing something?

sleepin4matty

Management Material
Not an expert in this area at all but I believe their goal was to put something on a glove that is lighter than leather to decrease the overall weight of the glove. Never had any experience with it personally but I wouldn't want a half and half glove.

I have a Carpenter custom glove which is all synthetic and is significantly lighter than a full leather glove but I couldn't tell you if that weight actually helps me field a ball faster

NYC

Swag on 100.
I was a superskin skeptic until I actually used one for a few games this past season. It's lighter which makes stabbing at 95mph line drives at 3B much easier and quicker (I play hardball). The most important thing is making the play and if it's even .001 second quicker then it's an advantage. It also doesn't scratch as easy as leather. Those three games I used it won me over, my next custom will have superskin.

NYC

Swag on 100.
Superskin is a marketing gimmick to produce gloves for a fraction of the cost of real gloves and charge the same price. There, I said it.
I respectfully disagree. Pro players went to Wilson and asked them for a lighter material on their gloves, Wilson used to use mesh and the mesh wasn't durable so I believe that's where superskin originated. Even though I love Horween, I was quicker with the glove using my teammates superskin this year than my own Horween glove. I probably wouldn't notice it in the outfield but at 3B I noticed it. Also, do you really think they are saving much money by using superskin over leather? They probably pay $5 per hide anyways.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Is it less absorbant of water than leather? I sweat a lot and/or play in the rain. Does it repel the water or soak it in?

NYC

Swag on 100.
Is it less absorbant of water than leather? I sweat a lot and/or play in the rain. Does it repel the water or soak it in?
It repels water and mud, I used it during a rainy game because I didn't want to mess up my horween. After the game a quick wipe with a damp towel and it was good as new.

Party mafia

The super skin is the same material wilson use in their basketball. The super skin repel water. The hand stall wilson still use leather I believe, only their backing of the glove uses super skin.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
It is durable compared to mesh, it does wipe up good from water, mud etc,the pebble finish does feel like a basketball, weight didn’t seem that much different, it is on the back and the thumb, I had a store custom 1799ss and a blonde leather mainline 1799 using at first base and they felt the same, I found the super skin model to be harder to break in, now that maybe the custom had stiffer navy leather coming from a different hide/factory? the fingers didn’t seem to fold or bend on the ss like the all blonde leather, leather had more give, mine had red ss and it did tend to fade out to look like a dark pink, I would do black if I where to buy one again, but probably would opt only for leather in the future

ShortYellowBus

So where did we land on this hot topic?

I’d rather get a traditional glove like a Horween Rawlings, but I don’t mind the SS on my 1799 and OT6. I wouldn’t trade or sell them so I guess that makes me tolerant to SS.

I wouldn’t order it on a custom.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
08ECE892-EDD6-4C8A-BF62-BF0A587CD37D.jpeg Oh yeah I agree the solid colors look awesome, especially mixing in different leather colors, my favorite is the columbia blue with gray ss, black web, but in terms of look, I don’t like that pebble finish

Wally Gator

Starting Player
HOH stands for Heart Of the Hide which references a specific part of the hide that the leather comes from. Nothing synthetic should be on a glove with this stamping. Heart Of the Laboratory or Heart Of the Pleather are suitable substitutes that could be used instead of the iconic HOH stamping.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
I really like my 1799 SS, and switched from a HOH.
Whether it is lighter can easily be checked with a scale. To me, it feels lighter for sure. Since it is not absorbent, it will be lighter long term.
Break in was faster than any other A2000 or HOH I have tried, using Aso method.
Hand stall and pocket are still leather, so it does not impact them.
Price was cheaper than any high end glove.
It has help up very well after 2 full seasons.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
You two should smell the GW Horween gloves :D

I digress. Of the approximately 150+ Wilson gloves I've worked on with black Superskin I have found it to be very durable, easy to clean, and sturdy. There may be some slight wear on the fingertips, but I have never seen rips or holes in SS material. BTW, SS is a microfiber material, not pleather or vinyl.

The red and royal microfiber "soft touch" SS material has the same durability but fades and gets very dirty.

My son's 1786SS with gunmetal is, to me, noticeably lighter and more balanced than a similar all-leather 1786. It's probably just 1/2oz in reality, but it is noticeable.

The grey and white SS is just terrible looking in my opinion :confused: Like plastic medical equipment or something...

Last edited:

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
You two should smell the GW Horween gloves :D

I digress. Of the approximately 150+ Wilson gloves I've worked on with black Superskin I have found it to be very durable, easy to clean, and sturdy. There may be some slight wear on the fingertips, but I have never seen rips or holes in SS material. BTW, SS is a microfiber material, not pleather or vinyl. (WHAT? WHO KNEW...BESIDES YOU)

The red and royal microfiber "soft touch" SS material has the same durability but fades and gets very dirty.

My son's 1786SS with gunmetal is, to me, noticeably lighter and more balanced than a similar all-leather 1786. It's probably just 1/2oz in reality, but it is noticeable.

The grey and white SS is just terrible looking in my opinion :confused: Like plastic medical equipment or something...

milesej05

The Rookie
Wilson had a deal on the Super Skin gloves the other day for 40% off. I picked up a 13.5" model for $155 to try it out.

A buddy of mine has the 13" model and it is VERY stiff when new and seems like a very high quality glove.

NYC

Swag on 100.
Wilson had a deal on the Super Skin gloves the other day for 40% off. I picked up a 13.5" model for $155 to try it out.

A buddy of mine has the 13" model and it is VERY stiff when new and seems like a very high quality glove.
They had a deal for MANY gloves not just superskin, actually mostly all leather gloves were part of that 40% off sale.

milesej05

The Rookie
They had a deal for MANY gloves not just superskin, actually mostly all leather gloves were part of that 40% off sale.

Correct, but I use a large glove and the only options in 13" and 13.5" were the superskin. If I end up not liking it, I'm sure I will be able to flip it so not too worried.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans

Correct, but I use a large glove and the only options in 13" and 13.5" were the superskin. If I end up not liking it, I'm sure I will be able to flip it so not too worried.

I was hesitant to grab one.....and when I decided to go ahead and do it they were sold out. HMU if you end up moving it.