ASA Suspension of play due to light failure

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
Lights go out in the middle of play.

I was umping the game, and the ball was on the ground, about 5-10' from the RCF. R1 was on their way to third, R2 on their way to 2B, and BR was on her way to first when the lights initially went out. All runners had reached base and the fielder was close to picking up the ball when I stopped the game, maybe 3-4 seconds after the lights went out, basically just enough time to go WTF, lol.

My call was bases loaded, and the next batter would be up when the game was resumed. Is that the correct call?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Sounds reasonable to me. Kill the play, award the bases that you are reasonably certain everyone would have reached had the lights stayed on. Don't guess any outs.

I was calling a girls' tournament last year. Early in the game, with a 1-1 count and no runners on, the batter fouled one back. The ball went up and over the backstop, traveled 60 or so feet away from the field, over a chain link fence surrounding the station, and WHAM, hit the light switch on our field. Total darkness, except for the outfield lights. It took 30 minutes for the lights to come back on.

What are the friggin' chances of that?

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
I was hoping you would see this. Restarting the game tonight. The girl who hit the ball doesn't like my solution, and is trying to start play with her batting again. She even emailed the state director, lied about the situation and when I stopped the game to him, to see what he said, just to get her way.

She should have bought a lotto ticket after that, lol.

trip

stfu
i'm going to give you a ball that's been laced with aids for her to grab tonight.

check those ****ing playercards

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
I am, she has even pissed off Bri about this by going straight to Ron. ***** forwarded Ron's answer to Bri and the team they are playing, and said this is how the game is going to restart. She conveniently left her part of the email she sent to Ron out of what she sent to Bri and Dorothy. I sent Ron an email, describing events exactly as it happened, will see what he says. I told Bri to just say since she is trying to undermine everything, just make them play the tournament on the 12th, end of discussion.

pob14

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds reasonable to me. Kill the play, award the bases that you are reasonably certain everyone would have reached had the lights stayed on. Don't guess any outs.

I was calling a girls' tournament last year. Early in the game, with a 1-1 count and no runners on, the batter fouled one back. The ball went up and over the backstop, traveled 60 or so feet away from the field, over a chain link fence surrounding the station, and WHAM, hit the light switch on our field. Total darkness, except for the outfield lights. It took 30 minutes for the lights to come back on.

What are the friggin' chances of that?
Was there a lightning bolt on her bat? :D

sjury

The Old Man
One night after the normal league, we had a playoff game for the tournament seeding. No one told the field attendant. We start playing our game and the field attendant turns the lights off. It was in the middle of a hit the left and center fielders were tracking it when they went off. The ball lands takes a bounce and hits our LC fielder in the leg. LC says he had the ball and it would have been caught for an out. Base runner ran the bases, using the lights from the field house for a hr, and the umpire stood there and didn't know what to do.

We wanted a new at bat, They wanted a hr. The umpire decides ground rule double. I thought GRD, was a good compromise, until we lost by one..lol

pompetti

Softball Player
I was hoping you would see this. Restarting the game tonight. The girl who hit the ball doesn't like my solution, and is trying to start play with her batting again. She even emailed the state director, lied about the situation and when I stopped the game to him, to see what he said, just to get her way.

Why would she complain about getting a hit and no one getting out?

If she gets to bat again there's a chance of getting out/double play.

Softball101tc

Addicted to Softballfans

Why would she complain about getting a hit and no one getting out?

If she gets to bat again there's a chance of getting out/double play.

I was about to say this ^^^^ almost verbatim. I am the confused.