Swing help please

mattya420

Manager
You swing well with your arms and upper body. You have zero help from your lower body. You only pick up and drop your front foot. Try loading up more with your front leg and firing through the ball. This should help to increase torque and bat speed and give you more power through the ball.

Tdietz22

Part Time Player
What is your definition of loading up more on the front leg? As opposed to picking it up and setting it back down, what part of that needs to change?

WillW3

Starting Player
Ken has a few videos on the stride itself. The linear movement is what I believe you're missing. Driving through the ball instead of throwing your hands at it.

ryanclink

goes hard your way catch
Your old baseball swing was dope but worthless in softball. I would say that aside from the top suggestions about the snap etc, you need to drink about 3 beers and get way looser before hitting. I call it fluid mechanics or lubricity of a swing.

Your feet are too far apart to get any real weight transfer through your swing and you're hitting against a hard front leg which slows your weight transfer and reduces torque. I'm not meaning to say don't have a stiff front side at contact but get your weight back (stand almost erect at pitch) and stride hard forward to gain momentum and power.

Lastly I see your bat is wrapped behind you. I always see guys looping their swing when the bat is too far back. Get it more erect/verticle and throw the hell out of that knob with your hands above the ball - more long line drive homers and fewer pop-ups.

Now you're ready to be Jeff Hall. Thank me later.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
2 things I see,

1. You rock back then transfer your weight forward. Any good UTRIP pitcher would own you. Close up your stance a bit with most of your weight on your back foot so the only movement is forward

2. You are doing what is called a block rotation where you twist your whole body at once. Rotate your hips first and then lag your upper body afterwards.

Tdietz22

Part Time Player
2 things I see,

1. You rock back then transfer your weight forward. Any good UTRIP pitcher would own you. Close up your stance a bit with most of your weight on your back foot so the only movement is forward

2. You are doing what is called a block rotation where you twist your whole body at once. Rotate your hips first and then lag your upper body afterwards.

Really appreciate all the help so far. I would like to make this clear though, I only play ASA. No UTRIP. Prob still need to stop rocking back though.

LC77

Manager
Pause your video at the point of contact, and look at the bend in your front knee. Then watch the hitting tips video and see the difference.

Tdietz22

Part Time Player
My swing feels fantastic right now. I by no means have struggled getting on base. Or
Launching some home runs. I just want to be more consistent. I feel like all of you have provided good info. This will be last video and feel free to make any final comments.
https://vid.me/vZD7

ryanclink

goes hard your way catch
Good deal... some broads like the taint tickler and some like the thigh whisper... none like Amish barn-raising sweaty beards.

Just checking in here but on that last swing of the 2, there was no snap in your hands. Your swing looks pretty decent but you were "block swinging" again at the end.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
Try lowering your hands a little. Its gotten better with each video, but your swing seems to be a downward chop. Try to level it out a little more for consistency.

Dars

Addicted to Softballfans
Tee is still set up too low for you, you are swinging down every swing just to make contact. Raise the tee up til it is at least chest high. so you arent swinging down every time.

Tdietz22

Part Time Player
An update here. Two things I think I need to work on:
Work on lateral movement forward
Don't bring hands up as I start my swing. Keep them Lower closer to starting position.
Thoughts?
https://vid.me/hbhQ

Beauner

Starting Player
Any other comments from anyone?
It says your original video got deleted otherwise I'd check it out.
The one thing I noticed in the second video was your front foot kind of opens up a little before your weight transfer starts. That may be due to the fact that you're standing a little too close to the tee as far as depth goes though too. Your swing in the most recent video looks like you kinda got handcuffed a little.
It almost looks like your stride looks really good and then all of a sudden you short-circuit yourself and bring the stride foot back in instead of proceeding all the way through your stride and powering into the ball.
I'd like to see you stand a little farther back from the plate so you can really go with your stride and drive from your back leg into the front (stride) leg and use the front leg as a brace to power the rotation.
Look at the video here from Kyle Pearson (who has maybe the biggest stride on the Conference tour right now):

Going through and finishing your stride would go a long ways. It's tough to see on a tee though. You've really gotta exaggerate it to make it something you repeat on an every-swing basis.

Last edited:

Tdietz22

Part Time Player
Well the last one I posted is drastically different than my first. I'll say that much. I have a TERRIBLE habit of downswinging. I always feel like it's fixed until I record my self. I start my hands down and somehow I still bring them back up. Most of my swings are a downward chop. Super annoying. I see what you mean with the stride. It goes forward but stops short and comes down backward some (I can see it with my foot) that's what you mean right?

Beauner

Starting Player
Well the last one I posted is drastically different than my first. I'll say that much. I have a TERRIBLE habit of downswinging. I always feel like it's fixed until I record my self. I start my hands down and somehow I still bring them back up. Most of my swings are a downward chop. Super annoying. I see what you mean with the stride. It goes forward but stops short and comes down backward some (I can see it with my foot) that's what you mean right?
Exactly. You start out with a great stride but it's almost like you subconsciously say "Oh crap I'm gonna saw myself off" with regards to how deep in the zone the ball is going to be placed and then bring your stride backwards to make up for it.
As for the "downswing" habit, part of that is just because the ball is going to be below your shoulder so your swing path is going to be "down" based on where you're standing in relation to the tee (if you played the tee another foot in front of you in this video, you'd probably be catching the ball on the upswing instead of pretty much level like you do in the most recent video--which is still going to lead to a lot of line drives).

If you can, what I'd recommend doing is taking a video of 10 swings at regular speed and posting them, and then taking the same video and turning it to slow-motion on the 2-3 swings you think are the best, and the 2-3 swings you think are the worst. Take notice of the differences in the mechanics of those swings. Do you have the same stride length? The same load? The same hip rotation?
That will help you pinpoint your inconsistencies and give you a good idea on what you need to focus on.