Swing Observation.

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
Talking to my Dominican buddy yesterday... He played a lot of baseball and is a hitting coach now... But he told me something interesting yesterday and never really thought about this...

He said when he has his kids hit off a tee... He has them start their swing at 25% and as their hands come across their back chest explode at 100%... He said for maximum power you don't go 100% straight from the swing... He said you lose power by stiffening up before the swing and losing power at contact... If you go 100% later in the swing, you keep most of the power you generate and power thru the ball better also... I found this interesting and this is the first time I've heard this...

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
It's probably the first time you have heard it this way but I'm sure you are familiar with this idea. Some call it "getting a running start" or "accelerate through contact". It's the same with throwing, if you don't build the energy up to your release point, you can't maximize your potential. I teach my kids and HSV to reach maximum bat speed just after contact and maximum arm velocity just after release. I want them accelerating through release or contact for their safety and effectiveness.

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
It's probably the first time you have heard it this way but I'm sure you are familiar with this idea. Some call it "getting a running start" or "accelerate through contact". It's the same with throwing, if you don't build the energy up to your release point, you can't maximize your potential. I teach my kids and HSV to reach maximum bat speed just after contact and maximum arm velocity just after release. I want them accelerating through release or contact for their safety and effectiveness.

Exactly what he was saying... He said if your at 100% when your hands are back you won't be at the point of impact... Just never heard this not even on here... I found it pretty interesting...

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
Exactly what he was saying... He said if your at 100% when your hands are back you won't be at the point of impact... Just never heard this not even on here... I found it pretty interesting...

I use total control balls to help my hitters understand this concept. 16" softballs, deflated basketballs, tires; they all accomplish the same basic principle. Once you understand and utilize it, your swing will be more consistent and your power will increase. I would also emphasize using the hips to get the hands to 100% though.

jhitman

Talking to my Dominican buddy yesterday... He played a lot of baseball and is a hitting coach now... But he told me something interesting yesterday and never really thought about this...

He said when he has his kids hit off a tee... He has them start their swing at 25% and as their hands come across their back chest explode at 100%... He said for maximum power you don't go 100% straight from the swing... He said you lose power by stiffening up before the swing and losing power at contact... If you go 100% later in the swing, you keep most of the power you generate and power thru the ball better also... I found this interesting and this is the first time I've heard this...

I completely agree with your Dominican buddy. I try to build up momentum until I get to the hitting zone and whip the bat through. I call it slow to explode. It keeps me in better balance as well.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Makes good sense to me.

When we teach a new golfer, the concept is to hit through the ball and explode through it.

Not "AT" it or before it.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
I use total control balls to help my hitters understand this concept. 16" softballs, deflated basketballs, tires; they all accomplish the same basic principle. Once you understand and utilize it, your swing will be more consistent and your power will increase. I would also emphasize using the hips to get the hands to 100% though.

Mando, take this advice... it can only help that god awful swing!!!!!

THESHOE

Starting Player
NCAA training ball or the Juggs ball is what we use in indoor dome league.

If you don't follow the OP's swing thoughts share with him, you pretty much end up tipping and spinning that ball like crazy...

I always start off a season so hot coming off that type of league, and then get back to the bad habits and stuff you get away with hitting the real ball.

LC77

Manager
I noticed my swing speed ramps up dramatically in the hitting zone on my Zepp readout. I wondered why that was. Maybe I'm doing what OP is talking about. I have a slower looking swing, and can hit for power.

Beauner

Starting Player
:biggthumpup:

When I coached traveling baseball (and when I played traveling baseball) we used basketballs that were inflated at about 60-70%. Forces you to drive through the ball at the point of contact if you want to actually see the ball come off the bat, otherwise your swing stops. Your hands have to be accelerating through contact (often done with the wrist-snap and driving your hips through the ball).

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
They have a slightly different way of saying it, but I'm pretty sure Ken teaches this in a few different episodes of his swing makeover series too.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
I don't know about all that.................For me, I see the part of the ball I want to hit and the bat pretty much swings itself.

015reddog

Certified Slacker
I don't know about all that.................For me, I see the part of the ball I want to hit and the bat pretty much swings itself.

I have a clone of myself that is really athletic and super good at softball, so I pretty much don't have to do anything. :yawn:

2fastxeg

Outstanding Bad Dealer
Ive been analyzing my swing and Ive been having a difficult time trying to pin point what my inconsistencies are with my swing. I definitely have noticed a few times during BP that when I don't start my swing at 100% and actually put that 100% at point of contact and follow through, the ball definitely travels harder and faster off the bat.. This is a good read as I think it makes a lot of sense and its something I can build upon with good wrist snap and hip rotation. Nice Post!

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I'd post a video if I wasn't at work behind a massive firewall, but go on youtube and watch some vids of Denny Crine. His swing starts out super slow and then just explodes at contact. It looks like he's swinging at 50%, but then the ball goes 400'+.

jhitman

They have a slightly different way of saying it, but I'm pretty sure Ken teaches this in a few different episodes of his swing makeover series too.

Near the end of Episode 10 his son Bret demonstrates slow to explode tempo.

TRaj2327

Watch Larsen.... His stance is extremely relaxed and he transfers forward and explodes on the ball. Everything pre-contact is very simple and relaxed. There aren't too many dudes that hits it as far as he does. Kevin Filby kind of similar. He has the bat waggle and leg kick but most other parts are quiet and he snaps the bat on the ball very hard.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Near the end of Episode 10 his son Bret demonstrates slow to explode tempo.

Thank you Sir! I couldn't remember which episode it was in, but thought I remembered hearing them use the same concept.

jhitman

Thank you Sir! I couldn't remember which episode it was in, but thought I remembered hearing them use the same concept.

No problem. What I like about it is I am building momentum slowly at the beginning and when getting in the hitting zone really exploding through the ball. It takes some getting use to, but well worth it when you get the timing down.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EEji6GwhD8[/ame]

This swing reminds me a lot of what the OP is talking about. He goes from 20% to 100% in the blink of an eye.

Yeah, I know he's a member here.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
I have always pictured in my head like putting an orange on a tee and trying to hit it so it explodes more than trying to hit it far.

Makes sense in my silly brain.