Swinging ASA sticks in other associations?

FlashTheLeather

Addicted to Softballfans
I have to ask, why the hell do guys swing ASA sticks in USSSA, NSA, ISA, etc. sanctioned leagues / tournaments?

We all know there are a handful of legit ASA bats that can hang (please note that I do not say they are better than or in the top 5) with Utrip sticks--- OG Extended, OG Flex, F98, previously approved Voltage just to name a few.

However, why risk breaking your $250+ dollar bat when you can pick up a great Utrip stick for $120-150? I understand that some guys don't have countless funds to go spend on bats, but it also doesn't make sense to take good ASA sticks and swing them in other leagues. If money is not an issue, I would question the logic even more.

Country35

Banned User
maybe some guys are just comfortable hitting with it, or they can't hit HRs in utrip or nsa and need a lesser performing stick??? But I agree with you, I never use asa bats in utrip.

PracticeSquad7

Addicted to Softballfans
I swung my f98 in utrip for 4 years. Ironically I broke it this year at an early bird this year in ASA with 52/300 balls. ASA sticks I would argue are more durable that utrip sticks.

Who cares?

For people that play both, they can simply use the same bat in both. There are some people who have 1 bat and not an arsenal stocked away.

JohnnyH

Addicted to Softballfans
I am just comfortable with my Flex. I swing it during the week in ASA leagues and use it in Utrip tournies on the weekends. I dont swing very hard though typically.

Dolphrundgren

Addicted to Softballfans
3 nights a week. Year around asa. Maybe 10 tourneys a year utrip. I'm that guy. Plus I feel comfortable with my Asa sticks. All my gamers are hot as hell. I did break down and get a fulk this year though.

Macken

Starting Player
I am more comfortable swinging the 26oz asa stealth... ive used utrip bats and other then the bj fulk mayhem i cant find that same comfort zone with getting solid contact everytime..

Nizzle5

Addicted to Softballfans
maybe some guys are just comfortable hitting with it, or they can't hit HRs in utrip or nsa and need a lesser performing stick??? But I agree with you, I never use asa bats in utrip.

This is the case for my team. We mostly play ASA but we do play a couple Utrip tournaments a year. So for a lot of the guys on my team, it's what they are comfortable with. I am not a homerun hitter (but I will be when my post count gets higher:D) so I swing the Booger when we play Utrip.

I would tend to think its a comfort thing, say a someone plays 10 asa tourneys and maybe 2 usssa tournys and he is comfortable using his asa stick. Or like mentioned can't hit homeruns/don't need a higher performance bat. Just my noob $.02

Primo

fat and famous pablo
I have to ask, why the hell do guys swing ASA sticks in USSSA, NSA, ISA, etc. sanctioned leagues / tournaments?

We all know there are a handful of legit ASA bats that can hang (please note that I do not say they are better than or in the top 5) with Utrip sticks--- OG Extended, OG Flex, F98, previously approved Voltage just to name a few.

However, why risk breaking your $250+ dollar bat when you can pick up a great Utrip stick for $120-150? I understand that some guys don't have countless funds to go spend on bats, but it also doesn't make sense to take good ASA sticks and swing them in other leagues. If money is not an issue, I would question the logic even more.

in a game where half an inch on the ball can mean the difference between a hit or a popup, i want as much consistency w/ my swing as i can get.......swing weight, actual weight, endload etc all affect my swing greatly. I swing a POS scx14 that's not very hot at all but i'm good w/ it, i dont need the extra pop and my control has been pretty decent as of late. i'm not gonna risk losing it just because i wanna swing a bat which is a little bit hotter which may or may not even help

obagain

Dr. bats are for wimps
If you can hit line drives and HR with your asa bat why spend money to have an extra bat?

Primo

fat and famous pablo
If you're swinging ASA in other leagues. It's shaved.

no doubt.....it's very tough to hit a ball 300 feet.....i can ****ing throw a ball that far...no point in having money tied up in bats whne it's un-needed

squirt

strokin and swingin
a hit is a hit no matter the association. An asa bat will get you a hit just as any utrip bat can. Yes, you will get more "pop" off of a utrip bat VS. ASA, but a solid hitter can hit the gaps just the same with an ASA bat.

FreakShow34

One minute left
When its cold I swing my Easton's for everything, Worth's and COMbat's stay in the bag. My SRV3 was a team bat for the first year and a lot of the guys on my USSSA team liked to swing it. To each his own.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
I tell my good line drive hitters to use my ASA bats during NSA play because anytime they use my NSA bats they end up driving it TOO far and get into outs. Using ASA bats in NSA/Utrip is completely GTG if the hitter knows what they're doing.

snacks

I disagree, if I'm comfortable with my ASA bat I'll keep swinging it in another assoc.

I hit a Utrip ball just as far with my ONE.12 as someone else's utrip OG mutant. Granted it didn't come off as quickly but it had the same distance......warning track fly out.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
Well, I swung my OG Flex in other associations because it was that good. It had composite falling off of it and was just insane.......Better than the Mayhem Reloaded that I had at the time and my Syn 2 was cracked. So, I just went with what I had at the time. Didn't hurt that I had 2 more Flexes and didn't care about that one, but for some people who already have bats, don't want to borrow one from someone, and don't want to buy a Utrip bat...It is their best option.

Primo

fat and famous pablo
jesus....you do realize the difference between broken in asa bats and broken in utrip sticks is like 10-15 feet max???

quit typing how people use asa bats to "keep it in" and line drives dont carry and blah balh.....

it's barely noticable

FlashTheLeather

Addicted to Softballfans
Just re-read my original post and I even confused myself. My question wasn't so much about the distance aspect, but why risk a $250 stick when you can use a $125 stick do the same thing? I guess the common response is because a lot of people only play Utrip a few times a year, or they just feel more comfortable with their ASA bats.

Primo

fat and famous pablo
Just re-read my original post and I even confused myself. My question wasn't so much about the distance aspect, but why risk a $250 stick when you can use a $125 stick do the same thing? I guess the common response is because a lot of people only play Utrip a few times a year, or they just feel more comfortable with their ASA bats.

are there no 125 dollar asa sticks?

KWO

Go Cardinals!!!
I just like the way my salvo feels somedays. I have another easton and 2 worths. Just depends on what I am comfortable with that day. Really I think it all boils down to personal preference.

LikeMiken

Starting Player

Been there, done that.
My team plays ASA league, we hit up a small NSA tournament and used my f98 (firestick) and a crush 2. We ended up tied for 3rd in the end. We were accused of using a painted Ultra 2 because we hit a few homeruns on a 280 field. I traded a u2 for my f98... Utrip bats aren't that much better

Country35

Banned User
jesus....you do realize the difference between broken in asa bats and broken in utrip sticks is like 10-15 feet max???

quit typing how people use asa bats to "keep it in" and line drives dont carry and blah balh.....

it's barely noticable

I'll have to disagree with ya the preems....10-15 feet for most board members is the difference in a HR and an out :D

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS

it's barely noticable

I agree..........A good ASA bat is more than enough to get the job done for a good hitter. And when you talk about the very best of them. The OG Flex and Freak98's......They're probably counterproductive to keeping it in the park.

DSNuts48

Badass
To be a good player you have to know how to adjust. Sometimes I hit more consistent with a wood bat then I do a composite, and sometimes the metal bat is better to hit when it's really hot out and we're using mush balls.