Any Tagging a runner in the face.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Short initial question, is there a rule that says you can't tag a runner in the face. A guy today yelled, "you can't tag a runner in the face, it's a rule". I said that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

I assume there are conduct rules that say things about intentionally blasting a runner in the face with a tag on a not so close play. If so, feel free to explain those as well.

On the play in question the runner was coming into third behind the 3B and slid very late and was still up very high when the 3B turned and caught the runner in the face. The runner understood it wasn't intentional. The guy screaming about the rule seemed to think either the 3B was supposed to be ejected (the tag was blind BTW if I didn't mention that) or that the guy was supposed to be called safe or something.

What's the word in general and in this particular situation if it's different.

ICE14

All pro punter
JBO you're a jerk. People have feelings ya know? That guy's jv baseball coach told him it wasn't legal, it was his dad. His dad knows man. He knows.

JStout863

Softball is Dumb
That person is dumb..and wrong.

A tag is a tag, unless of course the guy intentionally hit him in the face...then you'd have an unsportsmanlike situation