Taking a walk

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
I treat league same as tourney, and I treat co-ed same as men's. Why? Because for some people on the team league is all they play and I'm not going to 'cheat' them out of me doing what's best for the team just because they don't play tourney ball and I can get swings in even if the pitch is awful. I show up to play, not just swing. If you treat league different than tourney, you are as bad as softball guy.

I've also been on and played against teams that have put up 15+ runs in an inning. So I'm taking a walk even if it's top 7 and we are up 20 if it means we might put up a couple more runs.

tonyjohnson619

I treat league same as tourney, and I treat co-ed same as men's. Why? Because for some people on the team league is all they play and I'm not going to 'cheat' them out of me doing what's best for the team just because they don't play tourney ball and I can get swings in even if the pitch is awful. I show up to play, not just swing. If you treat league different than tourney, you are as bad as softball guy.

I've also been on and played against teams that have put up 15+ runs in an inning. So I'm taking a walk even if it's top 7 and we are up 20 if it means we might put up a couple more runs.

perfect reply

will_reed

has been/never was
I'll take the walk, the only exception is the I hit pitches a little up and in really well so I'll go get that one if I'm confident that I can.

Dr. Funkenstein

Addicted to Softballfans
I am confused by the idea that somehow its the batters fault that the pitcher cant throw strikes and the batter is supposed to help him. Then to top it off he may end up with a ball smacking him in the head because the pitcher cant get it over the plate.

What alternate universe is this ok in?

I was being hyperbolic...I don't think anyone's actually going to peg the guy. I doubt they even remember what happened by now.

blackbeasst

Addicted to Softballfans
softball is serious business. no way i walk with bases loaded when i have a chance to knock in 3. i'd strike out before i talk a walk for the team to help them score a run :rolleyes:

jtboy85

It's a walk. Sure it's not the way that most hitters want to get on base however; it's part of the game. He's practicing good plate discipline. But if it's a couple inches off the inside corner i would try to hit it opposite field.

moo1982

Had a game the other night, defense is up 4, bases loaded. Guy with 2 hrs already gets up.
Pitch sequence. Starts 1-1
1- 10 feet short
2- behind batter
3- half way up backstop, batter takes late cut to extend at bat...
3-2- pitcher throws a pretty fast one from low and it keeps rising, batter sees it as close and decides to swing, the ball just kept rising, catcher ends up catching it fully extended.
Strikeout.

Is walking a known home run hitter in that situation bush league or acceptable?

fitzpats

AKA - The Anti Ringer
One of the guys on my team played baseball most of his life and wasn't sure of the etiquette in the situation...I told him I was good with it, but I figured I'd bring it here to get the "professional" opnion

Bases loaded, bottom of the 7th. Pitcher has been struggling with control all game (our leadoff hitter walked three times alone). First pitch is behind the batter. Second misses the inside corner by a few inches, and the payoff pitch is two feet outside. Game over.

Are you okay taking a walk-off walk? Does league vs. tournament matter to you? Does he deserve to get an "accidental" throw in his back next time we play that team?

For the most part, I'm fine with someone taking a walk-off walk in league or tournament. Now, I do say "for the most part" because there are times that it's not warranted. We were down 14 or something, and the guy took the walk to bring in the run that dimed us. This was on a 3-1 count. In that situation, a courtesy swing for a strike in league play is what I would go for. Just to see another pitch. If that next pitch isn't close, then take the walk. No reason to give free outs. That's just my opinion because the game was in hand and you could tell that we were being handled rather well. Otherwise, take the walk and the win in a close game.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
If your pitcher can't throw strikes you can't really piss and moan when guys walk. It sucks, but find someone who pitches accurately.

blakcherry329

Had a game the other night, defense is up 4, bases loaded. Guy with 2 hrs already gets up.
Pitch sequence. Starts 1-1
1- 10 feet short
2- behind batter
3- half way up backstop, batter takes late cut to extend at bat...
3-2- pitcher throws a pretty fast one from low and it keeps rising, batter sees it as close and decides to swing, the ball just kept rising, catcher ends up catching it fully extended.
Strikeout.

Is walking a known home run hitter in that situation bush league or acceptable?
Nothing bush league about walking a good hitter. Why let him beat you? He's a selfish A-Hole for swinging. Got what he deserved.

Played against a guy like that, back in the day. Great hitter, but bad attitude and temper to match. So we decided we would walk him every time, no matter what, just because. I just waved him on every time. He was so friggin' pissed by the end of the game. We were just laughing. We had a down year that year, so we figured, wtf.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nothing bush league about walking a good hitter. Why let him beat you? He's a selfish A-Hole for swinging. Got what he deserved.

Played against a guy like that, back in the day. Great hitter, but bad attitude and temper to match. So we decided we would walk him every time, no matter what, just because. I just waved him on every time. He was so friggin' pissed by the end of the game. We were just laughing. We had a down year that year, so we figured, wtf.
I used to walk a guy like that in his first ab because he'd swing at anything close the rest of the game.

Griking

Coach
One of the guys on my team played baseball most of his life and wasn't sure of the etiquette in the situation...I told him I was good with it, but I figured I'd bring it here to get the "professional" opnion

Bases loaded, bottom of the 7th. Pitcher has been struggling with control all game (our leadoff hitter walked three times alone). First pitch is behind the batter. Second misses the inside corner by a few inches, and the payoff pitch is two feet outside. Game over.

Are you okay taking a walk-off walk? Does league vs. tournament matter to you? Does he deserve to get an "accidental" throw in his back next time we play that team?

If it wasn't a very competitive league I'd probably be swinging if he threw a hitable pitch but if the league was competitive or the pitcher isn't close to the strike zone I take the walk all day.

bird25

34/30 Club #25
I'm only walking if the pitches are trash, a few inches off the plate and I'm swinging. And before you get your panties in a bunch, I'm talking league ball.

You should have a talk with your lead off, number 3 and number 7 batters. :p

By the way, if the guy can't throw a strike, I'm not chasing.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lately, I've been swinging at ****ty pitches... With almost zero success. :/ Time to go back to taking walks.
This is why I walk so much. I don't know if it's accurate or not, but I feel like I'm batting .100 when swinging at ball four.