Tee Work for Swing Mechanics

russ13

Coach
I was wondering on thoughts regarding tee work. I generally start a couple months prior to the season/tourneys and generally take 100-300 swings per week. It seems to help me but I was wondering on other guys thoughts.

Also, I seem to get so many more good swings in as opposed to swinging at bad pitches and waiting while 6-7 others bat until I'm up again. Any thoughts out there?

sosa2314

Laser show
I do tee work alot. I want my mechanics to be smooth and consistent. If I feel like something is off, I go back to the tee before I take any BP. Its hard for me to get people out to take BP with me too, so tee work is a life saver some days. You aren't going to get any worse doing Tee work.

Fivetool

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm writing a few longreads for a website I'm hoping to start up with a friend that's all centered on athletes increasing batspeed. The research I've uncovered can probably help in this situation.

Bottom line, you can get a very positive central nervous system response by taking swings 150x up to 4x per week if you're in shape to do it. You can work up to that level.

If you're going to hit off a tee that much, you can also work in overspeed/underspeed drilling. Athletes who take 150 swings of varying weights 4x per week experienced dramatic batspeed increases.

Just take your time working up to that kind of volume, and start with very little variance between bats. For a 28 ounce gamer, swing a 29 ouncer 10x, then a 27 ounce 10x, then your gamer 10x, and repeat this sequence until you take 150 cuts. Works with dry cuts or tee cuts.

I've got a 12 week chart for this I'm putting together so perhaps I can share it at some point.

bndawgs

President-Elect
I'm writing a few longreads for a website I'm hoping to start up with a friend that's all centered on athletes increasing batspeed. The research I've uncovered can probably help in this situation.

Bottom line, you can get a very positive central nervous system response by taking swings 150x up to 4x per week if you're in shape to do it. You can work up to that level.

If you're going to hit off a tee that much, you can also work in overspeed/underspeed drilling. Athletes who take 150 swings of varying weights 4x per week experienced dramatic batspeed increases.

Just take your time working up to that kind of volume, and start with very little variance between bats. For a 28 ounce gamer, swing a 29 ouncer 10x, then a 27 ounce 10x, then your gamer 10x, and repeat this sequence until you take 150 cuts. Works with dry cuts or tee cuts.

I've got a 12 week chart for this I'm putting together so perhaps I can share it at some point.

this seems like it would lead to a large imbalance in your core unless you also did the same number of swings from the opposite side.

kw35

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds totally like "that softball guy" - but tee work + $5 ****'s Sportinggoods bag chair + Ipad + SloPro app + 10 swings = super easy way to fix technique flaws. Use the bag chair as a camera tripod for the ipad, hit record on the SloPro app, take 10 swings, watch and fix...keep an eye on the front shoulder, hands and hips. just my 2 cents.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans

Ummm, this has already been done if you find the post for Macenko drills. Nothing to save here.

X2 on it helping with mechanics, but needing BP for timing. Hadn't done tee work in weeks and had good timing developed. Went back to the tee to correct some technical flaws, and the next week I was way out in front even though I mentally visualize and track an imaginary pitch from the rubber before I swing at the ball on the tee.

oosty94

Addicted to Softballfans
i usually do pretty much the same thing. tee work to start off then move into live bp once people want to start coming out lol

defos

I bought 2 new bats at the end of the season last year. We had a very mild winter for Iowa and I was able to get in about 1000 swings off the tee to break them in before practice started. My mechanics are greatly improved this year over the past several. I've taken 1 mechanically poor swing so far this season vs a lot the past 2 years. I'm able to hit on a real, fenced, softball field at my church which I'm sure helps with being able to see results vs hitting on a random open field.

Wik

Addicted to Softballfans
I catch alot of flak because I want to BP multiple times a week. If friends or teammates cant, ill just go out solo and do teework. Live BP and a tee are good for different reasons so just make sure you are getting what you need out of the session (ie form, feet, mechanics etc).

chile

Bad Ape
i measure my mechanics by how often i'm on base. for the last year, they've been pretty good ;).

edit: then again, i AM a beer leaguer so take that FWIW.

slisoftball

Addicted to Softballfans

Fivetool
I'm very interested in your research. I would love to incorporate this in my Hitting Academies.
SLi
[email protected]

Batalot

Tee work is good for mechanics. live bp will help with your timing after you get the mechanics down.

I have found training like this is good, however, it's only good if your mechanics are right to begin with, other wise, you just drill bad mechanics.. really need a coach to watch and over see you're doing it correctly.

1STUNNA

Addicted to Softballfans
I was wondering on thoughts regarding tee work. I generally start a couple months prior to the season/tourneys and generally take 100-300 swings per week. It seems to help me but I was wondering on other guys thoughts.

Also, I seem to get so many more good swings in as opposed to swinging at bad pitches and waiting while 6-7 others bat until I'm up again. Any thoughts out there?
Coaches eye app is a great way to anaylize your swing.