Terrible Rec League Swing!

Ducksnort

Addicted to Softballfans
Yea, the foot tap is killing you. You are losing half the momentum of your swing. You are still getting good drive on the ball but imagine if you smoothed that out...don't be afraid to let go of the bat with your top hand after your swing that will help you lengthen your swing.
Also, more importantly, get more that 5 BP balls, come on bro!
I think this video was made for you....

one last thing, change your sig. That guy is a dope.

Last edited by a moderator:

IYI4IYIAN

Addicted to Softballfans
the ball is teed up wayyyyy to high in my opinion, you never going to be able to pull a ball using that tee height and that swing...i'd suggest lowering the tee and opening the hips a little bit

Mason4208

More hips will pull a high ball. But seems hands dominated. Never seen a knob cuff used as a bat choke. Put the cuff in your palm. Maybe try overlapping to take the hands out of the swing. Just let your hips bring your hands through. Get a bit more lag and whip

Dupe19

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree with lowering the tee just a little bit. You're not a tall guy and it looks like you're swinging near your neck. Need a lot of flexibility to get on top of such a high ball and really hit it well. Otherwise you're working on an uppercut swing which isn't the best.

Only other thing I would say is a repeat of your follow through. Half of the balls you hit look like you're swinging to the ball instead of through it. Just try and cut the ball in half and go all the way through it.

Really not a bad swing. You hit better than all but 3 of my rec league teammates.

015reddog

Certified Slacker
Still not there yet, but keep putting work in.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nStPBQ-gkfs[/ame]

015reddog

Certified Slacker
Still not getting enough hip turn. I tried turning my front foot forward to get my hips to open, but still not getting that hip turn like CL22 and WHEELERHUFF. I know it is like the most important part of the swing. What can I do to get myself used to doing it? Thanks bros.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y750BBnhvJk[/ame]

Space_cadet

Star Player
take a bigger step and really explode. Or even try angling you body a touch toward first, like you are trying to hit oppo.

I had a terrible swing. Off a tee I couldn't put a ball over 250. I watched all the swing make over videos over and over so it burned in my head. Fixed my swing a lot. Started to put balls, off a tee, over 300 but come game time its rocket liners. Still, it was a huge improvement. Just take all the time you need man, u will get there. Don't copy the videos 100%. Take pieces here and there and try it out. Everyone's swing is different.

015reddog

Certified Slacker
Thanks bud. I hit some off the tee again this morning on one of the fields we play on and had some shots hit the warning track. Never done that before. Of course it's 285 all around, but still, I am gaining ground. I work third shift, so mornings are perfect for tee work. Nobody around.

csk415

Addicted to Softballfans
Is it just me or did it not seem like in the last video that the hands start to low due to how the right elbow is tucked into his side? After watching that last video I stood up and tried to copy the swing. It felt all kinds of messed up. You said you hit it further but to me it seems it would be less. I can be wrong since I'm not a swing expert but it looked like your hands are in a better position in the first video. Check the pics to see what I mean. The bottom pic is where you pause just before you start the swing. Looks like the bat is casted through the zone. Between the 2 pics you have done a significant change on where your hands start. Like I said I'm no expert just my observations.

Cool_E

Star Player
I think he was going off of the swing makeover vids by lowering his hands. I would say the biggest thing is your stride. Your starting your swing with your weight evenly distributed between both feet. That's not a bad thing, but you really want a big weight transfer to get everything going. I would practice by taking some exaggerated swings. Lift your front leg way up so it forces you to put all of your weight on your back leg. Then take a nice long stride to ensure your weight is going forward. I personally start with my batting stance opened up. Then I kind of coil up with my leg lift and when I come back down it forces me to turn my hips... The leg lift should help a bit though. I would also try bringing the back elbow back up off of your side and see how that works.

015reddog

Certified Slacker
csk415 and cool e, I see what you two are talking about. Yeah, the swing makeover videos is where I got the having my hands back further. I'll try the suggestion for my stride and see where that goes too. Gonna keep plugging along and thanks again for all the help and constructive criticism.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
2 things. It kind of looks like you are rotating your hips after you hit the ball, like reminding yourself to do it so you're a little out of sync. 2nd, relax, you have a kung fu grip on the bat. You may be thinking too much at the plate, relax and be fluid

015reddog

Certified Slacker
Thanks sir. That's the one thing that I have been trying to get right that seems to elude me is the hips going first. I think they are starting sooner now than they were when I posted my first video, but still not there yet.

015reddog

Certified Slacker
1 thing i notice that might help out

you need a real pitcher and not a a pv-tee :nana:

LMAO!!! Yeah, I know. I was hitting during warm-ups today before our game and my timing was skanky. I was probably over thinking too after doing all the tee work. In the game I hit the ball hard and went 3 for 3 though. Just focused on "see ball, hit ball." It really works. :biggthumpup:

TRaj2327

Hey man....

First thing I notice before the stiffness, unlock those darn wrists. You are robbing yourself of lots of whip action and exit speed and also the ability to work the ball a bit. Maybe work a little bat waggle into your approach so you get the sensation of a looser relaxed wrist and snap to the ball.

Give yourself an athletic stance and stride athletically. You look like you are doing it because you know it's the right thing to do. It doesn't look natural.

Rotate the hips.

Extend.

Release the top hand if it feels right.

The good news is I see a lot of improvement from where you were.

The other thing you can do is slow it all down in front of a mirror so you can work on getting things into the right place. Watch some videos of the LH bomber guys or some BP sessions by the pros and looks where the moving pieces are. Try to emulate that. A few good ones to watch are Robert Blackburn, Chris Larsen, and wegman. Those guys all have great mechanics.

Last edited:

Cool_E

Star Player
Biggest thing to remember... Your having fun. If you want to take a goofy ass swing and tap the ball barely over the infield and drop it in front of the outfielder do it. It would be more productive than trying to smash the ball like I do... Professional pop fly machine right here... When I stay loose like TRaj was saying, not choking the bat and keeping it flowy, I crush the ball. When I try to muscle up I usually give the outfielder a can of corn.

TRaj2327

Biggest thing to remember... Your having fun. If you want to take a goofy ass swing and tap the ball barely over the infield and drop it in front of the outfielder do it. It would be more productive than trying to smash the ball like I do... Professional pop fly machine right here... When I stay loose like TRaj was saying, not choking the bat and keeping it flowy, I crush the ball. When I try to muscle up I usually give the outfielder a can of corn.

Exactly. Twitch muscles are faster when they are relaxed. I had a funk earlier in the year where I was squeezing the hell out of the bat and I was super tense at the plate. Now I've relaxed and I'm making really good contact. Now if I could stop hitting it right at people.

Thursday night...
liner to CF for single
lineout to short doubled off runner at 2.
single through the hole on the right side
beat out a bobble by 3B
liner robbed by CF of extra bases on a ball in LC gap
walk
another lineout
hard grounder to short

3-7 or 2-6 if you use errors in softball. Garbage either way.

Last edited:

015reddog

Certified Slacker
I have been in funks like that before too. Hitting it right at people irritates the stank out of me, especially when I hit it really hard. Grrr!!!

natedawg87

Baller
Seated Russian ball twists helped me a great deal with my swing. Once you incorporate proper footwork and drive power from your back leg up through your core, it's just a matter of letting your hands follow. I started with 8lb medicine ball and and up to 15 lb now. Hope this helps, and YOU WILL DEFINITELY FEEL IT IN YOUR ABS!!!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNUa2aArl4M[/ame]

Reddog, you remind me of when I was in HS and trying to work on my basketball shot. Trying to do all the right things when it came to form and it just messed everything up, to the point the coach came over and asked wtf I was doing, stop it.
So try going back to what a more natural position is for you, when it comes to starting your swing. Right now, with your hands that far back (and I understand the concept of teaching your body to have your hands there for the whipping action), you're causing everything else to be out of sync.
I'm trying to think of a simple way of explaining it.
When you throw a big punch, you don't start throwing it with your hand already ****ed back all the way. You have a wind up, which is part of the 'whipping' motion... If your hand is all the way back, you're waiting for the rest of your body to catch up so you can continue your punch. That includes your step forward in which you load up on your back leg to push off, tensing your mid section to get that twist when you throw the punch.
When I see your vids, your hand placement looks unnatural and I think that affects your step forward, where nothing much is happening with the rest of your body. The whipping of the bat first starts with your windup, or the beginning of your whip with the rest of your body. As you naturally step forward driving off your back leg, the rest of the body goes into position (which includes you moving your hands back) for the power knock out.
For what it's worth, thanks for posting up the vids and keeping it all in the same thread, makes it enjoyable to track and also causes me to look at myself and how I'm doing things.

015reddog

Certified Slacker
Thanks bro. I will entertain the idea of changing my hand positioning back and try it. I understand what you are saying. It actually feels kind of awkward with my hands so far back, but it did seem like I got more distance that way. I guess my thinking was that I was getting rid of all the wasted movements. So, you are saying that my hands should go back that far, but it should be more a part of my swing rather than the starting point?

That's what I think, but I am neither a pro nor do I have the post count to try and imitate one :) Looking back at your first couple of vids, when you take your step forward, your hands do go back as you load up.
To me, having them that far back at the start is a wasted 'movement' for you.

i didn't read anything above but watched that last video and i'll say that your leg kick looks uncomfortable and exagerated...it looks like it even slows you down, you're not transfering your weight with any speed or power, step into the ball and attack it...you also don't need to lift your leg so high that you can do crossfit box jumps