The Rotater

Mikaka

My Dixie Wrecked
how many people have heard of this piece of training/strengthening equipment?

to preface my question, i've been having issues with my shoulder (from the outer peak of my shoulder, straight down the arm towards my elbow), sometimes so bad my whole arm would shake when i'd raise it to take a drink of water/beer. it pretty much takes 1-2 throws from the OF and it's toast. i'm not too familiar with the composition of the shoulder/rotator cuff, so i'm not going to try to explain it that way.

i talked to the physical therapist and sports orthopedic i had when i tore my LCL last year, and they both said it's GIRD, which is common for "athletes" (and yes, i use that term VERY loosely) who use an over-the-top arm motion similar to ours.

i try to take it easy when we warm up, sometimes even starting with a weighted ball to get my whole arm loose. maybe i'm not bending my elbow enough and creating enough torque from it. who knows. for as long as i've been playing softball/baseball, 20 years this year, i've never seen myself throw, so i have no idea what my throwing motion looks like. i had my second baseman last weekend say that one of my throws looked like i was almost tossing a grenade, but that throw was about my 15th of the day from out there, so i didn't have anything left anyway. i proceeding to pull myself after that.

so back to original question. has anyone seen this item/tool before? if you have, have you tried it? does it work?

http://therotater.com/wp/

it seems pretty simple, yet ingenious as to how it works. but since it's so simple, how easy do we think it'd be to make your own, say out of 1/2" or 3/4" PVC pipe? i'd like to try it to see if it helps, but i can't justify spending $60 on it if i "technically" don't have to.

wcoastsoftball

What is going to work much better for you is farmers walks and carries and similar "stability" like exercises that link core and upper body.

Mikaka

My Dixie Wrecked
like the kettle bell exercises here at the beginning of this:

Last edited by a moderator:

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans
My dad uses that thing and speaks real well of it. He does other exercises also and went from not being able to play tennis any more to it being very tolerable to play. His problem was mainly serving which obviously is very similar to throwing. I haven't used it ever and since he lives 950 miles from me, I can't easily test it for you at this time.

wcoastsoftball

I like the video. I was worried when he said "dynamic" because the RC's responsibility isn't movement, but is dynamic stability, so yes I like the tool he created. But start with just grabbing heavy crap and walking. Keep in mind to keep the humeral ball in the glenoid, in other words, keep it centrated.

Last edited:

Mikaka

My Dixie Wrecked
Oh, of course. The humeral ball in the glenoid (I vaguely know what that is as those two things combined are what the G in GIRD is)