The SLUMP

LoudMouf

Starting Player
I am sure I am not the only one who has gone thru this.

All season I have been on fire and ripping the ball all over the place. As a lefty I even have opponents doing the Big Papi shift and still finding green UNTIL last friday. I got moved to clean up in the lineup and completely ****ed it and went 0-3 for the first time ever in softball. The bad part is since that game I havent been able to get back into stroking again.

I played Co-Ed last night and went 1-3 but never hit it clean. Tonight I went 0-1 and a walk. Anyone have any tricks to clear ur mind and get out of the slump?

Country469

I'd quit honestly. Teams are doing big papi shifts on you? Its cuz you're not that good and can only hit one place. I'd have you going 0-4 every night.

Paulypal

Addicted to Softballfans
1-7 isn't great but 7 at bats doesn't constitute a slump in my opinion.

I also hope you weren't insinuating that the shift was causing your slump. You play slo-pitch hit it where the f you want.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
0-3 is now a "slump"? Probably overswinging bit.......Just go and get good contact, with the intention of hitting a backspin linedrive.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
You'll know when you're in a slump. Your swing will feel lousy, you won't barrel the ball up properly and you'll just feel uneasy/inconsistent in the box. Your timing will probably be off too.This can last for a week, a month, or longer.

If you have a game or two where you don't do well you aren't in a slump. If you have a half dozen games where you do poorly then it might be time to worry.

Dan411

Star Player
^^^^^This. Try a few different things in BP, or a even a few of your teammate's bats. You might have gone to doing a few small things different at the plate that you usually do. That could lead to not hitting the ball well, which ultimately leads to affecting that thing between your ears. Find something that produces results in BP to build back your confidence. For me, sometimes all it takes is one solid hit in a game to get me feeling like I am back on track. Good luck to you.

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
You'll know when you're in a slump. Your swing will feel lousy, you won't barrel the ball up properly and you'll just feel uneasy/inconsistent in the box. Your timing will probably be off too.This can last for a week, a month, or longer.

This. Couple years back I got on a new team, and had a pretty bad start to the season. Then every time I got up I thought I had to get a good hit or these guys will think I suck worse than I already do (which would've been justified at that point). You get like that and it gets in your head; you focus on so many BS details you forget to just wait for a good pitch and hit the s*** out of it.

I fixed it by subbing on a friend's team while I was on vacation. DGAF what they think, I'll never see these guys again. Went 11-13 and got back on track. Just takes a few good hits to clear your mind and remind your brain that you actually can hit a 12" yellow ball lobbed 15 mph.

LoudMouf

Starting Player
Some of you were correct and i wasnt the only one on my team in a slump. But tonight i got my mojo back. It wasnt the shift that was causing my slump because i can go the other way. I just wasnt squaring up.

I think going out of town to do bp messed my timing up because my buddy mentioned to me i was loading up super early, so i slowed things up and started stroking again.

LoudMouf

Starting Player
Overthinking and pressing can definitely be your worst enemies in softball.

You were absolutely right. I started overthinking and just couldnt relax. I am usually a pretty consistent hitter and i totally felt out of it but once i connected on the first one it felt like a relief and then it started coming back

LoudMouf

Starting Player
This. Couple years back I got on a new team, and had a pretty bad start to the season. Then every time I got up I thought I had to get a good hit or these guys will think I suck worse than I already do (which would've been justified at that point). You get like that and it gets in your head; you focus on so many BS details you forget to just wait for a good pitch and hit the s*** out of it.

I fixed it by subbing on a friend's team while I was on vacation. DGAF what they think, I'll never see these guys again. Went 11-13 and got back on track. Just takes a few good hits to clear your mind and remind your brain that you actually can hit a 12" yellow ball lobbed 15 mph.

Bro that is exactly what I was doing. I had been Mr. Consistent up until that point then i had bad night and my buddies ragged me so i started worrying about "making up for my bad night" so i started forcing it instead of relaxing and it got in my head which made it worse.

Paulypal

Addicted to Softballfans
Whew. Thank God that slump is over, and Mr. Consistent is BACK BABY!!!!

I knew this was going to be a great day.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
^^^^^This. Try a few different things in BP, or a even a few of your teammate's bats. You might have gone to doing a few small things different at the plate that you usually do. That could lead to not hitting the ball well, which ultimately leads to affecting that thing between your ears. Find something that produces results in BP to build back your confidence.

I like taking BP with half-power swings, just concentrating on squaring the ball and hitting the sweetspot. Once I'm doing that consistently, I start to gradually swing harder until I'm back up to full swings with solid contact.

Choke the chicken....

Nope, if that actually worked, I'd be a .950 hitter.

LoudMouf

Starting Player
I like taking BP with half-power swings, just concentrating on squaring the ball and hitting the sweetspot. Once I'm doing that consistently, I start to gradually swing harder until I'm back up to full swings with solid contact.

Thats some pretty solid advice.