The Unveiling

WillW3

Starting Player
I wonder if ASP is doing anything...All the talk has been about Resmondo and main stream stuff. But, if I'm correct ASP is still a co-sponser of the team. And they've had multiple Easton exclusives in the past.
Not sure on that one. I was actually wondering that myself, but since they've don't the Boombah and now Freak ASP, I'm not sure if they'll do an Easton.

Naugle40

Addicted to Softballfans
ASP is pushing Miken more than anything now. Nimmo signed with Miken.

Why would they give Baker a bat when he doesn't even swing it? I have never seen him or Kirby swing their signature bats.

WillW3

Starting Player
ASP is pushing Miken more than anything now. Nimmo signed with Miken.

Why would they give Baker a bat when he doesn't even swing it? I have never seen him or Kirby swing their signature bats.
Because 12" end loaded Eastons are the best feeling of the bunch, and when Kirby finally got a bat, the Torq/Helmer was out, which was better than IMX. Easton just wanted the guys to have signature bats I guess. They earned it.

Naugle40

Addicted to Softballfans
Because 12" end loaded Eastons are the best feeling of the bunch, and when Kirby finally got a bat, the Torq/Helmer was out, which was better than IMX. Easton just wanted the guys to have signature bats I guess. They earned it.

Isn't that a slap in the face to Easton though? Thanks for producing a bat for me but I don't want to swing it.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
Nah, it'll be a slap in the face if they swung Miken/Worth...lol...

They swing the Helmer's...so i dont think Easton cares...

Isn't that a slap in the face to Easton though? Thanks for producing a bat for me but I don't want to swing it.

chadconger82

Addicted to Softballfans
I personally talked to BB in carol stream and I asked him why he didn't swing his own bat.... his said he's never liked balance bats, lol. But my first thought was ok, you play for the main sponsored Easton team..... why not just have them put an endload in all his personal bats so he's comfortable with the endload and he's still swinging his "own" bat?!?!?!?

WillW3

Starting Player
I would think it's pretty much a mutual thing. I'm sure using those guys' names on bats is a marketing strategy also.

Crusty

Addicted to Softballfans
It's usually a contract thing. Some get a cut of each bat sold with their name on it. Or it's a if you sign with us we pay you x amount of dollars to play but we get to put your name on a bat for marketing reasons. Number of different things. Player may even be so self absorbed to say only way I'll play for you is if I get a sig bat. Not saying that's they case here, most prob think it's an honor. Manufacturer may even do it to be nice and say you've played with us for a while and been loyal, we are going to give you a sig bat. But point being is their is a million reason a player may get a sig bat.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
He's still with Easton, but I have no explanation as to why he isn't gonna have one.

Could be because the Kirby and Helmer are essentially the same bat. Both are 12" endloaded models. Don't get me wrong, I like both and own numerous Helmers and Kirbys of different years.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Could be because the Kirby and Helmer are essentially the same bat. Both are 12" endloaded models. Don't get me wrong, I like both and own numerous Helmers and Kirbys of different years.

The difference last year was that the Kirby was IMX and the Helmer was TCT with the 0.5oz weighting. I think all the new models are TCT, so the only difference would be the 0.5oz.

They still could've offered it though, Worth has done it for years with the Jeff Hall models.

chirotob

No offense chirotob but were you hitting NCAA dome balls ffs?

Most definitely did not need 1000 if you hit 40 and 44 cor balls. 300 max and they got on par with any other Utrip easily. We've broken in like 4-5 of them between buddies here, all of them same deal. At some point between 200-300 with a mix of 40 and 44 cor it caught fire.

Actually, I live in NY, and we put swings on the Utrip flex and both the Utrip and dual stamp reckonings. Used a mix of Utrip balls, most are classic m's, including some evil stadiums.

I was all in on the flex line...for a while. It opened up WAY faster than a standard Easton. Then... Around 400 cuts it just stalled and didn't open up anymore. We put another 300 on it and it was still not anywhere near my 15 swing (yes, 15) freak 30.

It took nearly 1000 cuts to get it to perform to the point that we'd consider it game ready.

The reckoning is about the same. The dual reckoning never opened up, even after developing spirals.

I finally questioned what I was doing. WHY am I putting myself through this when I can buy a brand new bat, take the wrapper off at the field, and have it perform better than a bat that needs 1k cuts to be 80% as good?

I am an Easton guy. My favorite bats are old school Eastons like the Syn+ and syn2. Those bats took work...but back then, so did the mayhems and the freaks. You had to BP ALL the bats to get performance.

Now, if given a choice, I'll choose the bat I can unwrap at the field and go. Meanwhile, I'll keep a "top tier" Easton that I got at a bargain bin price 6-8 months after release that I'll use in batting practice and cold weather.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I finally questioned what I was doing. WHY am I putting myself through this when I can buy a brand new bat, take the wrapper off at the field, and have it perform better than a bat that needs 1k cuts to be 80% as good?

This is why we have choices. Some people aren't able to get out and hit whenever they feel like it and want a game-ready bat. Some people like myself, hit a lot, and often in colder temps. Different needs, different bats.

The big question for the new line: will the bats get to the Worth/Miken level quickly AND retain Easton's traditional durability?

If they can give people the best of both worlds, they'll dominate. But I'm not getting too excited until they actually start getting into players' hands and we get some honest feedback.

chirotob

This is why we have choices. Some people aren't able to get out and hit whenever they feel like it and want a game-ready bat. Some people like myself, hit a lot, and often in colder temps. Different needs, different bats.

The big question for the new line: will the bats get to the Worth/Miken level quickly AND retain Easton's traditional durability?

If they can give people the best of both worlds, they'll dominate. But I'm not getting too excited until they actually start getting into players' hands and we get some honest feedback.

I agree. Being from NY, I always need one Easton for those really cold days.

I used to hit a lot, like bp 5 days a week. Now I'm lucky if it's once a week. Lol... Ah, the joys of parenthood.

Also, yeah, I'd love to see Eastons get to Miken/worth level of hot and retain durability. I don't need them to be "unwrap it and go" level of pre-break in, but if I can get it miken/worth level in, honestly, 2-4 bp sessions (100-200 swings per session), then I'll be very happy.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
I do agree with you that the Flex tech may need a bit to open up, but not 1000 swings. Thats like OG Flex/Extendeds status. My utrip Flex did feel pretty hot early on, then it seemed to feel like it went dead for a little bit, and now its super hot. I probably have about 300 hits or so on it now and its a gamer.

I've said it in other threads, but we have a Reckoning from WillW that he said was ok, but most of our team has swung it, and that thing is fire! I think the Flex tech is on par with Miken/Worth as far as performance, but more importantly to me, it feels better on contact.

I do have a very well broken in OG DC-41 to compare it to, and i could swing either one when i need to put one out.

I agree. Being from NY, I always need one Easton for those really cold days.

I used to hit a lot, like bp 5 days a week. Now I'm lucky if it's once a week. Lol... Ah, the joys of parenthood.

Also, yeah, I'd love to see Eastons get to Miken/worth level of hot and retain durability. I don't need them to be "unwrap it and go" level of pre-break in, but if I can get it miken/worth level in, honestly, 2-4 bp sessions (100-200 swings per session), then I'll be very happy.

speed123

Synergy Flex OG
2 rounds of BP and my flex was good to go...... hotter than hell!!! The best thing is people are like what are you swinging?! Ain't no worth or miken like everyone else! Hahahaha I got a couple Worth bats I really never swing them ..... Easton Flex is my go to bat!

THESHOE

Starting Player
I get why the Worth/Miken line gets its due hype

But personally I don't care for their feel or how mine either telescoped or got too soft too quick.

To each their own. Good to see Flex naysayers. Means I can hoard em cheap.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't know the flex were so endloaded. Maybe I should've bought one. I bought a Torq instead, but I'm cool with working it.

tbipitch

Swinging Bunter
I understand the whole "I need a hot bat out of the wrapper" thing for those guys who don't have the time to put in the BP like we used to have to do with pretty much all old stamp bats, but what I don't get is if you have the time to get out and swing some and put in the time, why are you not doing that? I'm a firm believer in the aspect of the more time you put into your craft, the better you will be. A hotter bat, a better hitter, a place hitter, etc... not to mention the comradery with your buddies and/or teammates.

As for these new bats, I haven't swung the new Flex line yet, but am going to try and pick up the Helmer and give it a try. With all you assholes talking it up, y'all have me wanting to get one and give it a whirl. That new Helmer though... if they were going for an OD green, military scheme, they missed the mark. But like someone else said, as long as it hits it well, who gives a damn.

chirotob

I understand the whole "I need a hot bat out of the wrapper" thing for those guys who don't have the time to put in the BP like we used to have to do with pretty much all old stamp bats, but what I don't get is if you have the time to get out and swing some and put in the time, why are you not doing that? I'm a firm believer in the aspect of the more time you put into your craft, the better you will be. A hotter bat, a better hitter, a place hitter, etc... not to mention the comradery with your buddies and/or teammates.

As for these new bats, I haven't swung the new Flex line yet, but am going to try and pick up the Helmer and give it a try. With all you assholes talking it up, y'all have me wanting to get one and give it a whirl. That new Helmer though... if they were going for an OD green, military scheme, they missed the mark. But like someone else said, as long as it hits it well, who gives a damn.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a firm believer in practice as well. The thing is, for those of us who have been around since the beginning of SBF...those of us who remember the OG Freak, OG Synergy (1st batch), Synergy Plus and CNT+... we all cut our teeth on those bats and putting in 1k swings a week because most of us were in our 20's.

Many of us weren't married, even less of us had kids...back then, softball WAS life... now it's an addendum. I'm not knocking Easton for the flex line or to sticking to their durability/long break-in guns. I miss the days of leaving work and going right to the field for 2 hours with the guys. Now I leave work, pick up my son, go home to cook for him and my wife... so my bp is severely limited, and the time I have to break in an easton is non-existent. Miken and Worth bats have literally saved me time, so thats why I'm sticking to them as gamers and why Eastons have become BP/Cold weather bats for me.

Likewise, Someone mentioned that 1k hits on an OG Extended or flex was breaking it in. Get an old Synergy + and original Catalyst to 2k swings then we can talk about broken in. Those who think the syn+ was broken in at 1k never gave that bat a chance. 2k swings was game ready for older eastons, and anyone who didn't get them to 2k never saw those bats hit that gear...I still have my very first Synergy+ and it has over 5k swings on it.

Josh L.

Extra Hitter
I have a 16 helmer, haven't messed with the flex yet. The Helmer felt like it got hot really quick, maybe 2-300 cuts, so I pulled it out for gammer use, it was well behind the Miken stuff I normally swing so I just kind of ruled it out as a dud. Recently pulled the helmer and the torq out for colder weather bp, helmer has around 750 on it and has hit another gear it's starting to catch fire, not quite the 12k+ hit LV1 I have but they're on par with the Mikens. I'd still take a Miken over an Easton, but there's always an Easton in my bag since reliably passing compression tests isn't a strong suite for Miken.

I'd love an Easton that's GTG in 50 hits and lasts for 10k+ but I don't know that's feasible in the real world. As someone who has to hit in cold weather in the off season it's nice to be able to buy Eastons for next to nothing at the end of a season BP them all winter and have one GTG for Tourneys in the spring. I heard a rumor Easton is moving to painting Combats with Easton graphics, I hope that's not the case but I guess we will find out.

jasonhud

Addicted to Softballfans
Anybody else get one of those ASA Reckonings real cheap the other day? I can't wait to try it out.

tbipitch

Swinging Bunter
Don't get me wrong, I'm a firm believer in practice as well. The thing is, for those of us who have been around since the beginning of SBF...those of us who remember the OG Freak, OG Synergy (1st batch), Synergy Plus and CNT+... we all cut our teeth on those bats and putting in 1k swings a week because most of us were in our 20's.

Many of us weren't married, even less of us had kids...back then, softball WAS life... now it's an addendum. I'm not knocking Easton for the flex line or to sticking to their durability/long break-in guns. I miss the days of leaving work and going right to the field for 2 hours with the guys. Now I leave work, pick up my son, go home to cook for him and my wife... so my bp is severely limited, and the time I have to break in an easton is non-existent. Miken and Worth bats have literally saved me time, so thats why I'm sticking to them as gamers and why Eastons have become BP/Cold weather bats for me.

Likewise, Someone mentioned that 1k hits on an OG Extended or flex was breaking it in. Get an old Synergy + and original Catalyst to 2k swings then we can talk about broken in. Those who think the syn+ was broken in at 1k never gave that bat a chance. 2k swings was game ready for older eastons, and anyone who didn't get them to 2k never saw those bats hit that gear...I still have my very first Synergy+ and it has over 5k swings on it.

Oh I get it. I've been playing for around 15 years now. I came into softball when I bought my first bat (an og extended) and didn't know what associations were or anything that had to do with them. Sold that bat 2 weeks later after 500 cuts for like $125 not knowing what I had. I have owned or swung about everything under the sun, and again, I get it. I have had the 2k+ swings synergy 2, 1500+ cuts 1st batch og freak, and a catalyst with barely any paint left. My point is, I think hot out of the wrapper takes away from the game. To me, it's about the friendships and the time put in with BP and your buddies. As I said before, I get why some guys need that instant gratification due to responsibilities, but those that don't need it are missing out.

chirotob

Oh I get it. I've been playing for around 15 years now. I came into softball when I bought my first bat (an og extended) and didn't know what associations were or anything that had to do with them. Sold that bat 2 weeks later after 500 cuts for like $125 not knowing what I had. I have owned or swung about everything under the sun, and again, I get it. I have had the 2k+ swings synergy 2, 1500+ cuts 1st batch og freak, and a catalyst with barely any paint left. My point is, I think hot out of the wrapper takes away from the game. To me, it's about the friendships and the time put in with BP and your buddies. As I said before, I get why some guys need that instant gratification due to responsibilities, but those that don't need it are missing out.

You're 100% right. The core of my team...the fabric of the guys who have been playing together for 15 years now, are all the guys who used to call me up and say "what time are we meeting"...and it was everyday. Those days are gone, and I sorely miss them. I miss the days of beating on my Synergy+ and OG Catty knowing that 3 weeks in, they'll be game ready, but most of all I miss the time I spent with the guys. The great thing is, we are all still very close and we are all watching our kids grow up together. It made all that BP time so worthwhile.

I don't know if hot out of the wrapper takes away from the game, but it certainly takes away from the memories to be had learning to play the game.

tbipitch

Swinging Bunter
You're 100% right. The core of my team...the fabric of the guys who have been playing together for 15 years now, are all the guys who used to call me up and say "what time are we meeting"...and it was everyday. Those days are gone, and I sorely miss them. I miss the days of beating on my Synergy+ and OG Catty knowing that 3 weeks in, they'll be game ready, but most of all I miss the time I spent with the guys. The great thing is, we are all still very close and we are all watching our kids grow up together. It made all that BP time so worthwhile.

I don't know if hot out of the wrapper takes away from the game, but it certainly takes away from the memories to be had learning to play the game.

Amen brother... Amen. We actually just had one of our guys and one of our girls get married this past weekend down in Key West. They met because of our coed team. As they say, birds of a feather...

THESHOE

Starting Player
New hot bats didn't stop our boys from a pre wedding BP recently... Morning of the ceremony at the facility. Big field, most of the team in the groomsmen side as well as others there already as close friends. Get the butterflies out a little with BP and beers early in the morning LOL.

I do agree though, seems like people are lazier and lazier. No one wants to put work into their swing and bat anymore. The averages speak for themselves after the games though.