Other Throw out of play

Tymntgmry

Addicted to Softballfans
I thought I knew the rule on this but the ump said I was wrong.

Batter hits a clean single, he then rounds first. The cutoff man decides to throw to backdoor and pick him off at first but overthrows and the ball goes out of play. Does the BR get 3rd since he had already "made" 1st? Or does he just get 2nd because it was a continuation of the play?

The league ISA if that makes a difference but I figured its pretty standard.

MDUmp

Addicted to Softballfans
He would get third. It is two bases from the time of the throw.

Rule 9: Section 6 - Runners are Entitled to Advance without Liability to be Put Out

D. When the ball is in play and is thrown beyond the boundary lines of the field or becomes blocked.
Effect: The ball is dead and all runners will be awarded 2 bases, and the award will be governed by the position of the runners when the ball left the fielder’s hand. If two runners are between the same bases, the award is based on the position of the lead runner.

Tymntgmry

Addicted to Softballfans
Thats what I said, he said he only got second because it was a contuniuation. Thanks.

MDUmp

Addicted to Softballfans
Thats what I said, he said he only got second because it was a contuniuation. Thanks.

He could have been confusing it with the USSSA retouch rule.

If a runner has to retouch after a caught fly ball and is retreating towards a base, he will get the base he has to retouch and one more.

That is only in USSSA that I know of. It definitely isn't ISA though. Regardless, yours wasn't a caught fly ball.