Throwing after shoulder dislocation and surgery

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
I dislocated my shoulder Tuesday night while sliding into a base. Doc scheduled me for an MR Arthrogram (MRI w/ ink injection) tomorrow. Not sure yet whether it will require surgery, but either way, I can tell that my shoulder connections are all very loose now (not to mention extremely sore).

I'm sure some of you have had similar injuries and subsequent treatments. What was your experience with throwing a softball once you were healthy enough to throw again? How long did it take to reach that level of recovery? Any lasting effects due to stretching/tearing with regard to your throwing motion and arm strength?

Thanks for your replies.

YOU NEED TO HIT UP HOUSTONPADRES. tHE BOY IS A TOP NOTCH TRAINER. hE HAS HELPED ME GREATLY WITH MY BUM SHOULDER.

Johnboy

Addicted to Softballfans
I saw the doc yesterday for a post-MRI consultation. Turns out the type of injury is not a SLAP tear (assistant's incorrect term), but rather a Bankart lesion (doc's term). The labrum is torn from 1 o'clock down to 6 o'clock on the anterior (front) portion of the socket. There are also a couple of small floater chunks. The doc said some people choose to do some PT and let the injury heal on its own, but subsequent dislocation is highly likely with any overhead throwing motions, given the nature and extent of my injury. Therefore, he strongly recommended surgery, which will be done arthroscopically (small hole incisions rather than one large, open incision).

Surgery is scheduled for May 31st. He gave me a bottle of special soap that I'm supposed to scrub my shoulder with the night before and morning of surgery. I'm also forbidden to eat or drink anything after midnight of the night before surgery. These were the only special instructions given.

I'll be returning to see the doc for a 10ish-day post-op checkup. He'll give the shoulder a look and prescribe PT at that time. Doc says I can't throw at all until 6 months, but with proper PT I should be good to go for next spring. My more immediate concern is for my elk hunt scheduled (and mostly paid for) for the end of September. He said drawing a bow by then is not likely, but he said he'd sign for me to use a draw lock (http://www.drawloc.com/), which require a waiver. So I should be all set for bow season this year, too.

bschmitz

Send me a PM when your ready to throw, I just graduated from PT school, on my last Clinical I worked a lot with throwing athletes. I can hook you up with a well researched throwing program and how to progress it yourself (need to finish w/ PT and be cleared by doc/pain free before you start throwing though)
Please contact me at [email protected].

Thanks Brian