Throwing after shoulder dislocation and surgery

Johnboy

Addicted to Softballfans
I dislocated my shoulder Tuesday night while sliding into a base. Doc scheduled me for an MR Arthrogram (MRI w/ ink injection) tomorrow. Not sure yet whether it will require surgery, but either way, I can tell that my shoulder connections are all very loose now (not to mention extremely sore).

I'm sure some of you have had similar injuries and subsequent treatments. What was your experience with throwing a softball once you were healthy enough to throw again? How long did it take to reach that level of recovery? Any lasting effects due to stretching/tearing with regard to your throwing motion and arm strength?

Thanks for your replies.

jdrainman11

Addicted to Softballfans
The throwing position is the exact position for it to pop out so I would not do it. You most likely ripped your rotator cuff. Good luck long road from here.

Johnboy

Addicted to Softballfans
The throwing position is the exact position for it to pop out so I would not do it. You most likely ripped your rotator cuff. Good luck long road from here.

There no way on earth I could even attempt it right now. I'm guessing surgery is in my future; I'll know next week. I'm hoping there's a way that I can get back to my old self after all the PT and whatever else they put me through. What a lousy time to go on the DL. :eek:

6_Point_Bull

Addicted to Softballfans
Hopefully you didn't tear your labrum, 6 surgeries for me from repair to cleaning to reshaping & I went from a very strong arm to not even being able to throw from 1st to 3rd. Cortisone every 2 months just to ease the pain.

BigDog

RAGE and Softball meet!
Tore my labrum on a dislocation back in August. It my glove hand however but 7+ months later its still kinda weak. It will take time.

B~TOWN

Addicted to Softballfans
I did same thing last season it's a bad deal been almost year now it still hurts after making a few long throws in the OF and I still don't have same velocity on the ball . It gets better as time goes on I could bat and play catcher after 3 months .

bomb_dropper

Addicted to Softballfans
I had a capsular plication in November 2006 to repair a very stretched out shoulder capsule. My arm would come out of the shoulder socket regularly and randomly, and I had severe nerve pains and numbness when the bone would move and push on my nerves.

http://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/article.asp?section=895

I spent 2 months in a sling doing nothing (and I mean nothing--I had effectively zero range of motion in the shoulder when I was allowed to take the sling off and start physical therapy). I spent another ~3 months in seriously painful physical therapy, as they basically had to build back a reasonable range of motion from nothing.

I was playing softball again by March/April 07, but I was not capable of throwing overhand (I would underhand the balls back to the infield :D). I had neither the range of motion, nor strength to even consider trying. I could swing a bat though, as my side-to-side range of motion was fine. Obviously, I lost a lot of power because my reach back and extension forward was limited. It was still okay.

After continuing physical therapy on my own and getting back in the gym, I was about 100% (and definitely better than before) by June/July. Years later, I still have some pain, and the joint is "noisy" (must be some scar tissue in there) but my arm is stronger than it was pre-surgery, and the issues I had prior to surgery are gone.

The nice bonus of physical therapy related to these types of injuries/surgeries is doing a lot of exercises that most people don't do (lots of variations of internal and external rotation exercises) that strengthen the stabilizing muscles in the shoulder. My shoulders in general are healthier and stronger than ever before because of that.

If you end up needing surgery, follow doctor's orders, do your physical therapy religiously, and keep working out once you are healthy, and your shoulder(s) will be better than ever.

ehudmh

Left-Handed Assassin
I had as much trouble on the shoulder with an MR Arthrogram done on it with no tear as I have with the one that's got a tear.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Must be in the air. I disclocated my left shoulder (rht) sliding into 2nd last week and now on DL. Pain in rear delt area. Ive popped it out 7 times in last 20+ years. I see Ortho in 12 days. Interested what happens with you and good luck bro!!

Johnboy

Addicted to Softballfans
Must be in the air. I disclocated my left shoulder (rht) sliding into 2nd last week and now on DL. Pain in rear delt area. Ive popped it out 7 times in last 20+ years. I see Ortho in 12 days. Interested what happens with you and good luck bro!!

This is exactly what happened to me. Shoulder popped out vertically, rather than forward or backward, which are far more common. MRI is today at 3:15pm. Hopefully results are favorable, whatever that even means. :eek:

~13~

Addicted to Softballfans
Tough injury, I did my glove arm diving for a groundball 12 years ago, throwing arm a cpl years after. I opted for non-surgery. The biggest thing I would pass on is that it is SO EASY to dislocate once this thing is loose, all the soft tissue that has healed will re-tear and you're back to square one again. Mine has came out during a sneeze or even sleeping. As far as playing ball, big drop in velocity, personally Im an infielder and most comfortable @ 2B now. When batting, I make sure and keep both hands on the bat during follow-thru, reduction in power to say the least but the last time I checked, a line drive helps the team everytime. If u have "Want-TO", a couple modifications here and there, and you'll be GTG. Good luck to you sir

cr4shpeg

Addicted to Softballfans
My father messed his shoulder up when he was in his mid 20s. He said he tried to get back to throwing the ball regularly, but it caused too much pain and the shoulder popped back out a few times. He started throwing kind of sidearm-ish, and moved from the outfield to second base. I'd suggest the same thing for you. Keeps you on the field, and flipping the ball to the shortstop to turn two is pretty sweet.

Good luck in your recovery!

Johnboy

Addicted to Softballfans
Because its fun, but once you get injured, its no longer fun and no longer worth doing. Especially when it hinders the rest of your quality of life.

I think it'll still be fun, even if I can't play at the same level. It's a tradeoff, I suppose. But I hear what you're saying. When the costs outweigh the benefits, it's time to hang it up.

Dave.C

Addicted to Softballfans
You dont have to quit playing ball just cause you hurt your shoulder. Worst case scenario you have to have shoulder surgery, hat still doesn't mean you are done. So many guys on here have had shoulder surgery and are still playing. You just might have to take it easy for a bit.

hatemail

Starting Player
torn rotator cuff surgery 7 months ago and im going well....2 weeks after surgery i started my own ghetto rehab along with doctors recommended PT...i started each of my own workouts with various stretches and pendilum swings, then moved on to basic band work, and graduall started slow and deliberate throwing....started throwing wiffle balls into a screen from about 10' starting my throw from mid body or perpendicular to the ground....basically from the top of the arch ...then moved up to tennis balls, baseballs, and 12" softballs...again i did this over the course of about 4.5 months...im virtually pain free at this point and during my last throwing session i threw 30 balls (bucket) from 130' and hit my L screen 22 times...one thing i would recommend is once youre in rehab is to invest in bands....i didnt buy the baseball specific ones but instead just got a cheap set of 3 that comes with handles on 1 end and clips on the other (perfect for fences)....

Johnboy

Addicted to Softballfans
Just got a call from the doctor's assistant. The MRI shows a "SLAP" tear. In her words, mine is "a prominent, oblique tear through the anterior aspect of the glenoid labrum, extending into adjacent cartilage." I now have a followup appointment with the surgeon next Monday to discuss the prognosis. This is not good news. :(

crushthatball

それに愚痴を吸う
Your age will also determine how fast you heal. My wife had her 2nd surgery (the she re injured her shoulder tearing an anchor while she was at work) to fix her first surgery. They didn't want to start rehab until at least the 2 month mark. Your pt is key here and it's going to suck in the beginning.

Johnboy

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm 34 and counting. Been very healthy and have stayed in good shape my whole life (no wife/kids). Hopefully I can whip this thing and get back to an active lifestyle soon enough. I'm no kid anymore, but I'm too young to throw in the towel. I'll be giving PT my best effort.

mrbtjohns

Addicted to Softballfans
I had surgery for a slap tear in my throwing shoulder in June 2010 (age 40)... I needed 3 anchors in the shoulder to "fix" the problem and ease pain of throwing... I started PT a week after my surgery and exactly 2 months after my surgery I was released from my doctor's care... I was back to swinging a bat in September 2010 and doing some light throwing in October 2010... I have full range of motion in my shoulder and I'm pain free... I still use the excerise bands and PT excerises to keep my shoulder loose and strong... I warm my arm up and stretch it before I play and I do a lot of long toss as well before the game (since I'm mainly a outfielder)... Yes, I have lost some velocity but I'm not trying to throw every runner out anymore (I use my cut off man now)... I hope this helps you but remember not to rush back, do all of PT excerises even on the off days, and listen to your doctor/PT therapist... Good Luck...

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
Just got a call from the doctor's assistant. The MRI shows a "SLAP" tear. In her words, mine is "a prominent, oblique tear through the anterior aspect of the glenoid labrum, extending into adjacent cartilage." I now have a followup appointment with the surgeon next Monday to discuss the prognosis. This is not good news. :(

Here's a good thread about shoulder injuries and SLAPs in particular. Lots of people shared their experiences here. With labrums, you won't know the full extent of the injury or the recovery time until after they open you up. Good luck

http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=1109000

Johnboy

Addicted to Softballfans
Here's a good thread about shoulder injuries and SLAPs in particular. Lots of people shared their experiences here. With labrums, you won't know the full extent of the injury or the recovery time until after they open you up. Good luck

http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=1109000

Yes sir, I've read through that thread a couple of times now. Good info in there. I'm glad to hear things have worked out well for you. Sounds like results vary, but the general theme is the extent of recovery is highly dependent on quality and consistency of rehab. I had a strong arm for my whole life up until last Tuesday. If I can recover 90%, I'll be satisfied.

I may steal your concept and create a thread detailing my experience as it unfolds. We'll see how things go. Thanks for the well wishes!

bomb_dropper

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes sir, I've read through that thread a couple of times now. Good info in there. I'm glad to hear things have worked out well for you. Sounds like results vary, but the general theme is the extent of recovery is highly dependent on quality and consistency of rehab. I had a strong arm for my whole life up until last Tuesday. If I can recover 90%, I'll be satisfied.

I may steal your concept and create a thread detailing my experience as it unfolds. We'll see how things go. Thanks for the well wishes!

If I can tell you anything, it's to do your PT properly, and realize that it's never done. Even once you're healthy, consistent work on shoulder strength and stability will keep you pain free, and probably have you throwing better than ever.

BryonR41

Send me a PM when your ready to throw, I just graduated from PT school, on my last Clinical I worked a lot with throwing athletes. I can hook you up with a well researched throwing program and how to progress it yourself (need to finish w/ PT and be cleared by doc/pain free before you start throwing though)

Johnboy

Addicted to Softballfans
Send me a PM when your ready to throw, I just graduated from PT school, on my last Clinical I worked a lot with throwing athletes. I can hook you up with a well researched throwing program and how to progress it yourself (need to finish w/ PT and be cleared by doc/pain free before you start throwing though)

I sincerely appreciate that. I will definitely inquire when the time comes. Thanks!