ASA Throwing glove at batted ball

Mongo23

Manager
Something happened at my Sunday morning league and I'm hoping someone here can answer my question.

It's the fifth inning in a tight game and then we get on a role and get up by a few. The other teams SS has 2 consecutive balls hit to him that he muffed. So 2 men on and the next batter hits almost up the middle, a little to the SS side of the bag. Guys throws his glove at the ball, actually hits it and the ball stays in the IF. 2B fields the ball and the run doesn't score. I really have no idea what the call is but I just ask the ump what the call is. He says that the ball is in play in that situation so there was nothing he could do.

I have read similiar stories on here but not the same situation. Hopefully someone can let me know what the correct ruling is for the future.

If anybody throws the glove at a batted ball the batter should be safe at first, the runners should all advance 1 base, the ump should looked pissed and your teamates should be shaking their heads.

bbaum17

Starting Player
If an attempt as made at hitting the ball with a glove without actually making contact, each runner is awarded 1 base. If the glove actually makes contact with the ball, no matter where the ball ends up, the runners are awarded 3 bases.

Joker

If an attempt as made at hitting the ball with a glove without actually making contact, each runner is awarded 1 base. If the glove actually makes contact with the ball, no matter where the ball ends up, the runners are awarded 3 bases.

first part is wrong. no contact, no penalty

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
If the glove doesn't contact the ball, it's nothing except maybe a warning/ejection for the offending player.

If it does contact a batted ball, it's a delayed dead ball, and all runners are awarded 3 bases from the time of the pitch. If any runner gets called out prior to reaching 3 bases ahead of where they started, the ball becomes dead, and the proper award is made. This allows the batter-runner to try for at least 3rd base, possibly even an in-the-park home run.

The exception to that is when, in the judgment of the umpire, the batted ball would have cleared the fence in flight over fair territory, it becomes a four base award.

If it's on a thrown ball, it's two bases from the throw.

If we're talking slow pitch with stealing, and the catcher throws his glove and hits the pitched ball, then it's 1 base from the time of the pitch.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar

Incorrect twice. No contact = no award. If there is contact the award is at least 3 bases, with a number of situations where it actually becomes 4 bases.

Or what NCASA said.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Something happened at my Sunday morning league and I'm hoping someone here can answer my question.

It's the fifth inning in a tight game and then we get on a role and get up by a few. The other teams SS has 2 consecutive balls hit to him that he muffed. So 2 men on and the next batter hits almost up the middle, a little to the SS side of the bag. Guys throws his glove at the ball, actually hits it and the ball stays in the IF. 2B fields the ball and the run doesn't score. I really have no idea what the call is but I just ask the ump what the call is. He says that the ball is in play in that situation so there was nothing he could do.

I have read similiar stories on here but not the same situation. Hopefully someone can let me know what the correct ruling is for the future.

There is no rule against throwing a glove at the ball. Every fielder can throw the glove at the ball. The rule is contacting a batted ball with detached equipment.

Space_cadet

Star Player
Man.....the thing about these "ask the ump" or association specific threads is that over half of these people playing don't play in a sanctioned league. Your best bet if this is a church league or a random league is to contact your director. Yeah you may have to use asa only bats, or usssa bats. But knowing what the actual rule is compared to your actual league rule is the difference. Our league uses a lot of asa rules but most of them are modified asa rules. Do research on your league, you will get the answer you are looking for and won't get 50 different ones on here. But joker and NCASAUmp are correct.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Man.....the thing about these "ask the ump" or association specific threads is that over half of these people playing don't play in a sanctioned league. Your best bet if this is a church league or a random league is to contact your director. Yeah you may have to use asa only bats, or usssa bats. But knowing what the actual rule is compared to your actual league rule is the difference. Our league uses a lot of asa rules but most of them are modified asa rules. Do research on your league, you will get the answer you are looking for and won't get 50 different ones on here. But joker and NCASAUmp are correct.

I've never seen a league change this rule.

The problem with the Ask the Ump section is that it's hard to tell who's who. Who actually calls ball, who's just getting started, who just plays and randomly guesses at the answers, and who's here to troll.

Joker

i try and get the answers right then let you or bretman correct/clarify if needed

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Three bases for contacting a batted ball with detached equipment is the rule for ASA, NSA, USSSA, ISF, NCAA, and NFHS softball, as well as for MLB, college, and high school baseball. In all of those, if there's no contact there's no base award.

I've never known a league to modify that, but suppose its possible. Then again, any league can modify any rule they see fit, so I guess that ALL answers on this forum are moot, null, and void!

sjury

The Old Man
Three bases for contacting a batted ball with detached equipment is the rule for ASA, NSA, USSSA, ISF, NCAA, and NFHS softball, as well as for MLB, college, and high school baseball. In all of those, if there's no contact there's no base award.

I've never known a league to modify that, but suppose its possible. Then again, any league can modify any rule they see fit, so I guess that ALL answers on this forum are moot, null, and void!

/thread and /forum .....:eek:uttahere: