Throwing out a runner at 1B from RF?

Spackler

...got that goin for me
hilarious when an outfielder throws runner out at 1 and even funnier when the dugout gets all vocal about their butthurtness

Space_cadet

Star Player
I threw out a lady from right center. Every time she made it on base she asked for an "injury" runner and had some speedy ass girl replace her. I can't stand that pathetic rule. If you can run to first, you can run to the rest. If you can't, maybe softball isn't the sport for you. Same goes for the fat guys that play and ask for a runner.

funkykb

Manager
both coed leagues I play in its illegal to throw ppl out at first from the outfield.. they say its to prevent injury...

mattya420

Manager
Saw a girl get her face exploded by a ball while she was standing in the on deck box. RF tried to throw out the runner heading to first, sailed the throw and smashed her nose in........looked like a murder scene.
The girls boyfriend, who looked like Thor's older cousin, ran out to the field and beat the crap out of the right fielder.....one of the more interesting moments I've witnessed in softball

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
Saw a girl get her face exploded by a ball while she was standing in the on deck box. RF tried to throw out the runner heading to first, sailed the throw and smashed her nose in........looked like a murder scene.
The girls boyfriend, who looked like Thor's older cousin, ran out to the field and beat the crap out of the right fielder.....one of the more interesting moments I've witnessed in softball

There you go, it's a risk/reward situation. You may steal a hit and get an out, or you may get the **** kicked out of you.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
She won't make that mistake again.

Breedawg69

Extra Hitter
I think somebody asked this on here last year. I seem to remember the majority thinking it was pretty douchy. I remember reading it and that night the left fielder on my coed team gunned out a fat chick from fairly deep left. We had a good laugh...the other team not so much.

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
I play in a draft league on Sundays with guys 18 - 80. There are many of the older guys that can still hit a little but can't run to save their lives; I play with one of those guys (he's our 12) who bats lefty and he gets thrown out at first nearly every time he gets a hit. It sucks, but even he would tell you it's part of the game that shouldn't be changed. It's one of those "messing with the fabric of the game" things really. He knows he should hit the other way but doesn't...

Pumacat35

Professional Hitter
League------NO it's not ok

Tournament-----an out is an out and that includes coed Vajayjay or Not

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
League------NO it's not ok

Tournament-----an out is an out and that includes coed Vajayjay or Not
Agreed here... league play, old guy out to have fun or physicaly challenged person no.. Tourney play of course it' a tourney.

Ronnie G

Star Player
church league its not cool, some league play its whatever cause most of the guys are buddies anyway, and tourneys an out is an out

deafie

I did this at a tourney. Dude was like 450 pounds, at least. The 2nd time he was up, he did it again. I have never witnessed someone's side belly barely hitting him in the face like that again since then.

But we're here to play a game, not giving the other team bases. What are you guys thinking?

KD317

Addicted to Softballfans
By what logic?

the logic that if someone can't make it to first base by the time a fielder can make a throw to that base, it shouldn't be done by fielder if they are in a position that usually doesn't make first base put outs. This whole thread is ridicuolous. If you can get someone out, you get them out.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
the logic that if someone can't make it to first base by the time a fielder can make a throw to that base, it shouldn't be done by fielder if they are in a position that usually doesn't make first base put outs.
There is no logical relationship between your last post and this one.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
Throw the ball.

Fat old slow guys know they are fat old and slow and they should be able to accept the consequences.

I'm in the FOS crowd and I ALWAYS jog to 1B on an obvious single, but I ALWAYS watch the ball. You can tell when some clown is gonna try to catch me napping.

I always beat it out, laugh and yell "You are going to have to throw harder than that!"

I did get thrown out at first one time, two days after a scoped knee. We only had 7 players without me so I took one for the team. I just tried to draw walks and take the strikeout if there was a double play in effect but one time I connected enough where I thought I could hobble it out. Short left field got me by several steps.

It also a situational decision. I have played in a few games where it's just not cool, like a borderline special needs kid who finally makes contact or a really hot chick in a tight shirt.

rmeman

Addicted to Softballfans
I have not problem with it as long as the dude throwing the ball can throw it without haning the first baseman out to dry. I had a guy attepmt to do it to me 3 times in a game. No not fast but will give the effort needed to get to base. The first time I let it go not even close to getting me. The second time i had to slow up so the first baseman didnt get run over. The 3rd time I laid him out for being in my way.

If its not close by all means make the throw

KD317

Addicted to Softballfans
Now that would be up to the third baseman.. lol

yes there is, everyone's logic is that once scenario A happens the runner is automatically on first. Whether that be a shot to right field, or a error made by third basemen (scenario A) this thread is saying that no matter what scenario A is the runner should be safe.

MichelleG

Addicted to Softballfans
I threw out a lady from right center. Every time she made it on base she asked for an "injury" runner and had some speedy ass girl replace her. I can't stand that pathetic rule. If you can run to first, you can run to the rest. If you can't, maybe softball isn't the sport for you. Same goes for the fat guys that play and ask for a runner.

This drives me crazy. Bad enough in rec, but I play women's competitive league on Tuesdays and I've never seen so many people ask for a runner in my life! Most because they're "large". It should only be allowed if the runner injures themselves going to first. You playing hurt? If it's that bad that you need a runner every at bat, maybe you should sit a few games and heal up.

lilhoff

Coach
In co-ed we can't throw out a girl at first from the outfield. This rule is only in place because they have some dumb rule in stating you can pick extra players from the stands to make a team. Worst rule ever, take the forfeit and don't risk injuring the people who showed up to watch and think they can play. Chances are they will get hurt.

In mens it's fair game. I've thrown a few out myself from RF or RC. Last year I had a ball thrown back to me at pitcher (not sure why) and still managed to get the guy before he got to first.

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
I've done it in mens league from RF/RC. Whether you're old, fat, crippled, or just lazy that's a chance you take if you choose to play anyway. I'm not going to hold off on a throw home, why would I give up a courtesy single?

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
yes there is, everyone's logic is that once scenario A happens the runner is automatically on first. Whether that be a shot to right field, or a error made by third basemen (scenario A) this thread is saying that no matter what scenario A is the runner should be safe.
I am not talking logic and do not mean that everyone should be given that base... i'm talking respect for the game as well as for an older person and or someone physically challenged that is out to have fun.. imo if anyone is that gun happy maybe they should have tried to make it to mlb this game if for fun! We don' t get paid and although i don't have a problem with this happening in tourney what is it really worth... a cheap trophy and shirt.. that is me tho.. to each his own.

zuke 37

Star Player
there are guys who like to throw guys out at first from the outfield, they don't last long because they always ruin their sholder patting themselves on the back (i guess no one else will)

maybe they think they are on tv,,,i was on tv once...my mother said, "get off of there, you'll scratch it."