Throwing out a runner at 1B from RF?

Shep

Addicted to Softballfans
If it's league during the season I don't attempt it unless the other team has been talking too much. During tournament or league playoffs I throw every chance I get for an out.

redneck1991

Addicted to Softballfans
if you are playing against church league teams that have disabled players that cant run and your team is deep enough to have a cannon in right field you need to find a more competitive league or at least get enough lower players and rotate your ringers in and out a little better. Was the church league trophy that big really?

rmarsh

Addicted to Softballfans
I am up for playing the game as it is designed. If you can't play, and love the game, pick up a coaching job for T-ball. There are tons of kids that need assistance with their skills. One of the best coaches I had, as a kid, couldn't play because of injuries. This is a rec activity and I have fun trying to play the game. If I can throw you out at first base, because you decided to hit to a position close enough to make an out, that's your fault. It doesn't mater what division you are in or what type of league you play in. Hit smart or stay on the bench.

71bama17

Addicted to Softballfans
An out is an out, no matter how you came by it, If the guys to hobbled to make it to first and your league allows it he should be getting a runner from the fence. I play with some older guys who deal with knee and leg injuries, They don't want any special treatment they want to have the game played the same for them as it is for the guys 20s and 30s.

Jomatty

Starting Player
I'm kinda fat but I hustle after is hit cause if I ever get thrown out from the outfield I would have to quit playing or go on a diet and either one would suck.

Calli4120

ASA Free Since 05
If I was playing RF in a church league and this situation came up I would ask myself "What would Jesus do?"

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
I am up for playing the game as it is designed. If you can't play, and love the game, pick up a coaching job for T-ball. There are tons of kids that need assistance with their skills. One of the best coaches I had, as a kid, couldn't play because of injuries. This is a rec activity and I have fun trying to play the game. If I can throw you out at first base, because you decided to hit to a position close enough to make an out, that's your fault. It doesn't matter what division you are in or what type of league you play in. Hit smart or stay on the bench.

Bolded for emphasis... underlined to REALLY emphasize!

These threads always bring out the league v. tourney guys. And in some cases it's church league v. coed league v. regular league v. tourney. This is just nonsense. The game is competitive by nature (that's why we keep score!!). So stop discounting the guys who only play 1 night a week or comparing church ball to some family-reunion style game.

I've played in church leagues that are just that... 3 guys on the team are competitive and athletic, the rest came out to have a good time. But I've played church teams that are absolutely ridiculous and have some of the best local talent around. I've played leagues that are beer leagues with more emphasis on beer and socializing than playing, but I've been in leagues that are almost more competitive than a high level tournament and no one has a beer until the game is over. I've been in fundraising tourneys full of crap teams and played in tourneys full of teams vying for a chance to play on a more national stage. So just stop with the "it's douchy in league, but not in tournaments." No, it's just part of the game. Get your fat/injured/slow/awful running form/XX chromosome/Bible believing/beer drinking self to 1B quickly or take the risk of being thrown out. Stop wussifying our country with these types of "rules" and giving every kid a trophy for participating. If you suck, practice to get better or find something else to do that you're better at.

Bolded for emphasis... underlined to REALLY emphasize!

These threads always bring out the league v. tourney guys. And in some cases it's church league v. coed league v. regular league v. tourney. This is just nonsense. The game is competitive by nature (that's why we keep score!!). So stop discounting the guys who only play 1 night a week or comparing church ball to some family-reunion style game.

I've played in church leagues that are just that... 3 guys on the team are competitive and athletic, the rest came out to have a good time. But I've played church teams that are absolutely ridiculous and have some of the best local talent around. I've played leagues that are beer leagues with more emphasis on beer and socializing than playing, but I've been in leagues that are almost more competitive than a high level tournament and no one has a beer until the game is over. I've been in fundraising tourneys full of crap teams and played in tourneys full of teams vying for a chance to play on a more national stage. So just stop with the "it's douchy in league, but not in tournaments." No, it's just part of the game. Get your fat/injured/slow/awful running form/XX chromosome/Bible believing/beer drinking self to 1B quickly or take the risk of being thrown out. Stop wussifying our country with these types of "rules" and giving every kid a trophy for participating. If you suck, practice to get better or find something else to do that you're better at.

Finally, something we agree on! :D

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
it happened to me once. im fat and slow and i hit a hard liner to RC and he was playing a little bit in.

OldguyinHavasu

Addicted to Softballfans
I play senior league snd do this all the time. Whats even more fun to take a shallow fly on one hop and race the batter to first base....some of our firstbase guys can't catch a cold.

camjo23

Addicted to Softballfans
I've had 11 knee surgeries....the guys around here know...if they try to throw me out in league ball...I will continue to the outfield and beat his ass...

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I've had 11 knee surgeries....the guys around here know...if they try to throw me out in league ball...I will continue to the outfield and beat his ass...

How are you going to catch him if you can't even run to first?

natedawg87

Baller
Everybody's out to have fun, but winning is part of the game. If you can get an out, go for it. And if the other team is butthurt, let them be. Douchebaggery comes in when the outfielder gets ****y and starts talking trash

batboy_2006

Addicted to Softballfans
If it's a close or meaningful game and I have a chance to throw a person out at 1, I'll take a shot at it. If it's an injured runner or someones kid who is picked up as a last minute spare or something like that, and it's league ball, then I probably wouldn't do it unless...

A team we played a few weeks ago was up by about 20 runs, and their girls kept laying down bunts. Our INF is horrible and can't throw or catch. They all play ball but belong in the lowest rec division possible. Even if they know the bunt is coming, it's almost hopeless to think they'll get the out. Very frustrating watching this game after game from the OF.

Everytime one of their girls got on by bunting (which was 8 or 9 girls in a row), they went overboard with cheering. Haha the first few times, after that it got old quick. 3rd or 4th inning, finally a girl comes up and swings, hits an oppo one hop liner to me in RF. I fired a perfect strike to 1st for the out. I don't think she even made it 2/3 of the way to 1st.

They didn't like this very much and were pretty vocal about it. Ump walked to their bench and said if you're gonna lay down bunts all game and cheer like idiots over it when you're mercying them, then expect a team to do something back at ya. Normally I wouldn't have done it, but them cheering and the frustration of watching our INF, enough was enough already, we needed outs and when there's only a handful of balls hit to the OF, when I can help and get an out whenever I get the chance in a game like that, I will.

There's times to do it and times to not do it IMO. I'd rather gun out a girl at 1st to send a message to the other team than fire one back at their pitcher.

BIGPAPA33

ULTRA MEGA
why would it be any different than throwing them out at 2nd, 3rd, or home. Aren't they still old or fat while running to any other base?

pears

Addicted to Softballfans
If he tries laying one up to beat that r-fielder why not try to throw him out. Might as well curtsie at games end instead of handshakes too then if letting him take first is the thing to do.

rshackleford

Rec League Superstar
Last summer our LF threw out a guy at first. Buddy hit a liner to shallow LF and decided to slow trot to first. Our LF has a cannon and came up gunning. The look on the runners face when he realized the throw was coming was priceless, I still laugh about it whenever I see the guy. He was pretty pissed off about it too, we were up by like 20 runs when it happened.