USSSA Timeout or No timeout

KcCornhead

Playing at Disney last weekend with all the rains and lightning stoppages, batter hits a ball to the SS with a runner on second base ...the runner dances around on the bag to distract the SS and sure enough he over throws the first basemen.... We are playing on HESS fields which are baseball fields with false OF fences. Just as the ball sails over the 1bags head the weather whistle goes off....the ball is 25 feet away from the 1bagger runner takes second and the runner on 2nd scores..

Umpires get together after some screaming from our dugout and rule the runner scored and hitter is on 2 bag.....

Then, unprovoked another umpire from another field ( Diky Butkis flattop looking guy from Minnesota) comes over and insists that hitter stays at first and runner is at 3rd no run scored.... Does the play not continue until the play is dead even with the horn blowing for a weather stoppage in the middle of action??

this occurred in the 5th i believe and would have been a lead change... next batter made 3rd out after restart..inning over this game continued for 11 innings ...we still won but was wondering if there is an official rule on this.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Unless there is a league rule to cover the "weather whistle" going off in the middle of a play...if there is a play in progress I would leave the ball live until all playing action has stopped. There is no standard rule covering this- other than the rules that say calling time is at the discretion of the umpires.

Who cares what some umpire from another field thinks? He should worry about his own game. The one being played on the field where I'm umpiring is under my jurisdiction...and I wouldn't have any problem telling him that!

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Unless there is a league rule to cover the "weather whistle" going off in the middle of a play...if there is a play in progress I would leave the ball live until all playing action has stopped. There is no standard rule covering this- other than the rules that say calling time is at the discretion of the umpires.

Who cares what some umpire from another field thinks? He should worry about his own game. The one being played on the field where I'm umpiring is under my jurisdiction...and I wouldn't have any problem telling him that!

^^^^
I second this.

fattymcgee

Proud daddy
Playing at Disney last weekend with all the rains and lightning stoppages, batter hits a ball to the SS with a runner on second base ...the runner dances around on the bag to distract the SS and sure enough he over throws the first basemen.... We are playing on HESS fields which are baseball fields with false OF fences. Just as the ball sails over the 1bags head the weather whistle goes off....the ball is 25 feet away from the 1bagger runner takes second and the runner on 2nd scores..

Umpires get together after some screaming from our dugout and rule the runner scored and hitter is on 2 bag.....

Then, unprovoked another umpire from another field ( Diky Butkis flattop looking guy from Minnesota) comes over and insists that hitter stays at first and runner is at 3rd no run scored.... Does the play not continue until the play is dead even with the horn blowing for a weather stoppage in the middle of action??

this occurred in the 5th i believe and would have been a lead change... next batter made 3rd out after restart..inning over this game continued for 11 innings ...we still won but was wondering if there is an official rule on this.

That guy is terrible. I'm not sure if he's considered head ump in MN but he does the ump scheduling for a lot of the cities. He thinks he knows everything.

Fin09

Addicted to Softballfans
I let the play finish, call time, and pull the teams off the field. The horn isn't a game timer- it's a warning. And I don't let an umpire from another field get involved in making a call on my field, unless for some reason I ask his opinion on a rule that I might not be clear on. And on the flip side, I don't ever inject my opinion on a call that is made in a game that I'm not working. If my opinion is asked for on a rule, I'll offer it.

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
Unless there is a league rule to cover the "weather whistle" going off in the middle of a play

It's not league it's USSSA World. ;)

Judging by your description the ball never goes out of play?

If so, you continue till the play is dead or timeout is called once the ball is secured.

KcCornhead

It's not league it's USSSA World. ;)

Judging by your description the ball never goes out of play?

If so, you continue till the play is dead or timeout is called once the ball is secured.

no, it never went out of play first baseman runs the ball down, and everyone but the umpires keep the play going!!

Sad part is we stayed on the field for 45 minutes after weather alert, discussing (arguing) with the umpires and other team....so there wasn't a big hurry to get out of there...

KcCornhead

That guy is terrible. I'm not sure if he's considered head ump in MN but he does the ump scheduling for a lot of the cities. He thinks he knows everything.

He did the winners bracket and losers bracket final games for us at "C" nationals when we came up there.....He all around, sucks at the game of life....