Tips for 3b

Iballsohard

Here for the pitches
Started the transition to 3b last year. Looking for any tips to help me get better. Used to pitch so im used to the ball getting there fast, having issues judging how close to me balls are that go through the hole. Any help/harassment is appreciated.

RogueWarrior28

Part Time Player
I have the same problem. I'll go for a ball in the hole if it's a slower ground all or a chopper cause I usually play a little more shallow than the ss so I think I get to the ball quicker by cutting it off. If it's more than three quick steps into the hole it should be the ss's ball imo.

ahgofish

Addicted to Softballfans
Wear a cup and play deep...JK, work on your throws, a lot of guys new to 3b struggle with that aspect of the position when they start there.

Redman

If not on turf make sure to either play in front of or around the beaches or softer spots of dirt where the ball could **** you on a hop or skip. Just check out the dirt in front and if it's not flat, flatten it or work around it but try to always remember it's there. Now if you're on a well kept field, that is a none issue haha. But 4-5 games in with no care the fields around here get ****ed from sliding and grounds crews adding too much unpacked sand.

WillW3

Starting Player
I play deep. It's easier to come forward than backpedal or get smoked with a laser. They don't call it the hot corner for nothing.

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
I play a step behind the bag, and about 2-3 steps over (or a casual dive to the line to cover it is a good judge)

Every ball is coming at you. You've got more time that you think for your throw. The ball gets to you faster than you think, that's a good thing. Don't think. You're gonna mess up, don't get frustrated.

Iballsohard

Here for the pitches
I play anywhere between 2-4 behind 3b 3 steps off the line. is it just that I need more reps at the position to get more of a feel for hole shots?

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
I'd mention two things ---

Keep your butt up, hands down and get on the balls of your feet just before the hit - You need your muscles engaged at the point of action - If you're comfortable with it, you might even take a small step before the hit to engage your muscles...

Take a stab at every hit that is close - Make the effort even when the ball seems beyond your reach - It will help you keep your reflexes tuned up and you'll catch a few more of those shots that initially seemed unreachable...

%%%

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I have the same problem. I'll go for a ball in the hole if it's a slower ground all or a chopper cause I usually play a little more shallow than the ss so I think I get to the ball quicker by cutting it off. If it's more than three quick steps into the hole it should be the ss's ball imo.

My mentality is "if I can reach it, it's mine". I only let a ball go to the shortstop if it's very questionable that I can field it cleanly. Anything you pick up while charging to your left will be an easy throw, you'll already be running toward first base and have that momentum to your advantage.

A deep playing SS that fields a grounder right at him will have to pick it up, plant his foot, and make a longer, more difficult throw.

zuke 37

Star Player
THIRD BASE 1-0-1:

DEPTH Find your comfort zone, Big monster hitters, give them a little room. Little left handed hitters move up for that slap on the ground,
PUT YOURSELF IN THE PLAY

RUNNERS ON FIRST & SECOND Move close to the bag for a possible double play. PUT YOURSELF IN THE PLAY

A ball hit to your left, go get it, all of the throws will be in front of you, any play for the shortstop will be behind him.

TO GET SET: Step into the set position and touch the ground with both hands with every pitch. It will be easier to get down (muscle memory)

TELL YOUR PITCHER: To let you know when he is going jam a hitter or try to get them to hit to you.

DON'T BABY THE THROW: If you do that you could throw it away, try to put a hole in the firstbaseman's chest. He won't be hurt or frightened.

Practice to where everything becomes muscle memory. Don't dwell on any balls hit by you, you will field them or you won't.
THERE ARE NO FRACTIONS AT THIRD BASE.

THROW FROM THE OUTFIELD: Set up 3 to 5 feet up the 2nd base line. Give the Ump an easier call. (they've been known to blow one)

Any questions get back on the site.

Iballsohard

Here for the pitches
THIRD BASE 1-0-1:

DEPTH Find your comfort zone, Big monster hitters, give them a little room. Little left handed hitters move up for that slap on the ground,
PUT YOURSELF IN THE PLAY

RUNNERS ON FIRST & SECOND Move close to the bag for a possible double play. PUT YOURSELF IN THE PLAY

A ball hit to your left, go get it, all of the throws will be in front of you, any play for the shortstop will be behind him.

TO GET SET: Step into the set position and touch the ground with both hands with every pitch. It will be easier to get down (muscle memory)

TELL YOUR PITCHER: To let you know when he is going jam a hitter or try to get them to hit to you.

DON'T BABY THE THROW: If you do that you could throw it away, try to put a hole in the firstbaseman's chest. He won't be hurt or frightened.

Practice to where everything becomes muscle memory. Don't dwell on any balls hit by you, you will field them or you won't.
THERE ARE NO FRACTIONS AT THIRD BASE.

THROW FROM THE OUTFIELD: Set up 3 to 5 feet up the 2nd base line. Give the Ump an easier call. (they've been known to blow one)

Any questions get back on the site.

Can anyone elaborate on this?

OldguyinHavasu

Addicted to Softballfans
he means move up 3 to 5 feet toward 2nd base, when taking a throw from the outfield,don't sit on the bag...make that tag away from the bag, if you can, don't make the play close by trying to tag the runner right at the base.

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Don't take one to the face or nuts, everything else is just blah blah blah.

jonyx

Started the transition to 3b last year. Looking for any tips to help me get better. Used to pitch so im used to the ball getting there fast, having issues judging how close to me balls are that go through the hole. Any help/harassment is appreciated.

I think I get to the ball quicker by cutting it off
o.png
:bigok: