Tips on timing swing???

Goldeneagle81

The Rookie
I tend to swing WAY too early and either line the ball hard down the foul line or hit a dinky grounder bc I'm a year early. Any suggestions, videos, etc to look at? I've hit homeruns when I just wait on it but I find it almost impossible at times. Should I count in my head before swinging or what?

Please help....

trox

Star Player
I don't know about any videos but what helps me is picking one bat and staying with it. Don't go crazy swinging too many different sticks. That throws timing off. Even though you may be tempted to try your friends new bat just keep swinging with one that you are comfortable with.

Different weights, endload a and two piece versus one piece really wreak havoc on my swings. I save the different bats for goofing around with the teams during batting practices.

Don't count in your head. That's only going to make your brain think harder than you should. Like trox and drum said, do Batting practice. Nothing happens overnight but the more bp will equal the more experience. Everyone goes through a slump so if you know what you are capable of then just clear your head and don't think about it, just swing.

second2noone

Try going oppo and that should help with timing. also dont' start to swing until the ball on the way down or at it's high point.

Jomatty

Starting Player
When I find myself doing this it is because I am trying to time the pitcher too much. It is a leftover habit from baseball for me. Try taking a very relaxed stance and just wait till you see the ball and hit it. That sounds obvious but sometimes I start stepping automatically at a certain time instead of just waiting till I see the ball and then doing what comes naturally. For me it is virtually impossible for me to be late on a pitch. I try to remind myself of that and it helps to slow me down.

A Salt Weapon

Starting Player
This is going to sound weird but try it in batting practice first. When the pitcher starts don't even look at the ball, look at first base, the catcher, anything else.
Then just acquire the ball halfway to the plate and smack it to right field, (left field if you're a lefty).

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
Try to go center field instead of opposite field. Also, make sure you step towards the pitcher. Dead pull hitters often tend to step towards the SS.

Goldeneagle81

The Rookie
Some solid advice here, thanks guys. Somewhere in there, though, I saw the "don't start your swing until the ball is headed down" line. No offense to whoever said it, bc it's said a LOT. But I think that's a terrible strategy unless your swing is maybe 15 MPH. If I waited until the exact time the ball headed downward to swing, I would be at full extention when the ball was still 4 feet in front of the plate. I don't get that.

BTW300

Addicted to Softballfans
Some solid advice here, thanks guys. Somewhere in there, though, I saw the "don't start your swing until the ball is headed down" line. No offense to whoever said it, bc it's said a LOT. But I think that's a terrible strategy unless your swing is maybe 15 MPH. If I waited until the exact time the ball headed downward to swing, I would be at full extention when the ball was still 4 feet in front of the plate. I don't get that.

I think he meant to start loading up when the ball starts coming down from it's peak height.