To the 30 year old + players...

secrets: eat your way into the infeild to catch, ah, or play 1st. get a runner whenever possible. just get fat and depend on your hitting. hahahaha. on a serious note: fish oil really helps the joints. my knees don't hurt when i take them on a regular basis. i also take aminos and liver pills for additional protein.

Last edited:

Enscheff

Addicted to Softballfans
It seemed like as soon as I turned 30 I started to really wear down after 3-4 games in one day. I mean so much so that I could notice a drop in bat speed after a few games.

And don't get me started about how my legs and back felt during the second day of the tourney.

I know it sounds lazy, but I walk to and from the OF every inning unless I am leading off. Just jogging out to the OF and back every inning makes you run an extra mile every 4 games you play. Considering all the sprinting you do in the OF and around the bases during a tourney, and you don't need that extra 2-3 miles of running.

Ask the fat guy playing 1st if he would like to go run 2 miles between games 4 and 5 of a tourney...I bet he says no. Guys that play the IF simply don't realize how much extra running is involved with playing OF in a 6-10 game tourney.

Another thing I do is to make the coach rotate me to C or EH if a game is out of hand. There is no reason to run yourself ragged when you are blowing a team out by 15 runs.

As for any magic potion to make myself feel better, I haven't found anything but lots of ibuprofin.

Last edited:

danhawks

Addicted to Softballfans
ice bath works for me and helps me cool down after games in the heat, too. I freeze up a bunch of water bottles, gatorade bottles, whatever, all week long and toss them in the tub. they stay cold longer than just throwing ice in there.

Semmy

Addicted to Softballfans
Common sense...

Eat healthy, don't drink too much booze (dehydration is evil on you body) and get a decent amount of sleep.

Sleep is when your body does most of it's repairing of what you do to it.

BIGC2007

Anymore Questions
This may help.

Big C

DLPA - This is an amino acid, which, it has been reported, may speed up the action of the bodies naturally produced painkillers, endorphins, which removes the need for pain relief.

B Vitamins – These are said to provide the raw materials necessary to produce endorphins, which are the body’s painkillers. They may also help in lowering stress. It has been recommended to take one 50mg tablet a day, while eating a meal

MSM - MSM is looked on as a good source of sulphur, it is involved in many body processes, it has been said to help with both inflammation and pain. At the beginning the body will try to detoxify and repair.

Bromelain - This is viewed as a great anti- inflammatory, which is considered to be beneficial for arthritis sufferers.

Butterbur- This is believed to be natures’ remedy for migraines, it can be purchased as a supplement.

Devils Claw - This is thought to be an anti- inflammatory herb, reported to be good for back and neck pains. It may be consumed as a supplement in tablet form.

Oily Fish - This is packed with essential fatty acids, and is said to be excellent in decreasing inflammation, which is seen as beneficial for people that suffer from arthritis and people that have painful joints.

Olive oil - Extra Virgin olive oil contains anti-inflammatory properties. Also olive oil features the compound oleocanthal, which, it is believed, suppresses pain using the same pathway as other anti-inflammatory agents such as ibuprofen.

Chillies - Chillies feature capsaicin, which is reported to prevent nerves sending messages to the brain, which, it is said to make it an excellent choice for nerve pains.

Pineapples - This citrus fruit is high in bromelain. This is a natural substance that is believed to help control prostaglandins.

Nuts and seeds - They are beneficial sources of Omega- 3. Arthritis sufferers have been recommended to contain a handful of linseeds on a daily basis. They also feature Omega- 6 fatty acids, found in sesame seeds and cashew nuts.

Berries - Berries such as blueberries and strawberries are full of antioxidants and may contain anti- inflammatory effects on physical injuries. Also they feature high amounts of Vitamin C, which is also believed to have anti -inflammatory properties.
Bananas - They are a rich source of B Vitamins.

Ginger - This is reportedly useful for rheumatic pain which tends to be worse in cold temperatures. It is also reported to relieve nausea and increase circulation.

Eggs - Eggs feature vast amounts of the mineral sulphur, which is said to help the body repair damaged cartilage.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
This may help:

Get used to it. It's all downhill now.

@58, 2 or 4 league games (infield) doesn't hurt any differently.

Occaisionally I wil play 6 or 7 tourney games. It hurts the same as two.

Last edited:

diet pepsi

Addicted to Softballfans
I am 56. Water aerobics in a warm pool (my own) has become my fountain of youth.

If I do have some pain, I get a sports massage, but that is rare.

And ice is good. Oh, yeah - and no extra weight to haul around.

BRAIN

Rookie
Wow I'm shocked at what some of you guys do at pre/post games so you won't ache. It sounds like some of you guys need to retire already.

BRAIN

Rookie
I am 56. Water aerobics in a warm pool (my own) has become my fountain of youth.

If I do have some pain, I get a sports massage, but that is rare.

And ice is good. Oh, yeah - and no extra weight to haul around.

50% of the softball players I see have plenty of extra weight to haul. I would say softball is becoming the fat mans choice of sport. :D

Traenok

Star Player
A good workout program year round and a healthy diet.

Oh - and 2 percs and a Tramadol before every game.

PeteJC

Addicted to Softballfans
I take an ibuprophen 200 mg every morning when I get up and one every night before I go to bed. On tourney day I take an Aleve 220 mg when I get up and one more at about 6pm if we last that long. Preventive anti-inflam instead of waiting to get in trouble. I do this mostly for my sciatic back. Makes me feel good when the 20 somethings complain about being tight or sore while I'm loose hopped up on my performance enhancing drugs the anti-inflams.

I'll be 50 in October. I didn't start playing until I was 30.

Last edited:

xshawnxearthx

Addicted to Softballfans
Good suggestions^^^^ I am definitely going to start on the fish oils. I already take a mega-multivitamin

I'm 46 and pitch between 6 and 8 games a week, at least 3 every Sunday(modified and slowpitch). I usually don't get too sore. I feel it in my knees, mostly, but that's cuz of the wear and tear of carrying around 300-350+, most of my adult life.
I do find that I now need to stretch before games and it takes my body longer to get loose. That sux. I actually have to jog a little to loosen up. WTF??:eek:
I always played a lot of game ever since I started playing, so I guess my body just became used to it.
Ray,

Definitely get with the fish oil. I feel a huge difference if I don't take it daily. The only draw back is if you take too much, your poop gets greasy. Also, if your knees are sore you should check out knee sleeves. You can get them at sports authority and they are just neoprene sleeves and they keep your knees warm, so they stay lubricated(supposedly). I've been wearing them while lifting and playing and I notice a difference.

If you take a cold shower afterwards it helps. You can start out warm but definitely get it to cold within a minute or so and it will help clean out the lactic acid so you won't have DOMS the next day. I also do this after lifting and I haven't been sore from lifting in a long time.

xshawnxearthx

Addicted to Softballfans
Another thing that will help in general with soreness is to fill a few solo cups with water and let them freeze. Once they are frozen you break away the top few inches of the cup and now you have a "roll on" ice applicator.