Tournament Question

cr4shpeg

Addicted to Softballfans
Straight Up: Not letting a team in a tournament because they will most likely win first prize. GTG or NGTG?

I know how I feel about it, but I'd like to get the opinion of some people who have played a lot of softball.

Thanks guys.

I would say it depends, are you having teams back out or teams that have told you they aren't playing because of this one team? If you are losing teams or having a small turnout because of them, I would turn them away or ask them to play separate teams. It does seem kind of a ***** move to keep them out, but if you are losing money that's a problem too.

guzzler2209

The Veteran
I'm guessing that if team isn't being allowed to play in a tournament it's because they're a bunch of Douchebags.

The fact that the douchebags think it's because they would "most likely win first prize" kinda validates the TD's decision.

corsmr50

if they are sandbagging and playing below their talent or class level just to make some money then you should ask the teams that are planning to play what their view is on it. Some may not care at all, and others might say they wont play in the tourny because they would be playing for 2nd place basically. If you have more than 2 teams that say they wont play, then its pretty self explanatory what you should do in regards to the team.

On the other hand if you just don't like the team and they are a good team but by no means wayyyy above the talents of the other teams then its up to the TD what he/she would like to do. DB's usually offer up a lot of bitching and moaning if things dont go their way.

HAVOC34

NorCal COMbatant
If your team enters a tournament, you better come with the idea that you can win it. Or else why play? If there is a sandbagging issue, it needs to be addressed. Maybe have the top team spot runs?

Country35

Banned User
If its a pick up tourney then its up to you. If you have teams that you can track on the net and 6 out of the 8 signed up are E teams, 1 is a D and a B team tries to sign up hell yes kick the B team out. I have no problem with telling a team they are too good to play. Alot of tournies around here list the class being played that day and if you are above it, forget aout it. But the real ? is the almighty $. If you need that extra cash to make the tourney worthwile you gotta do it, just dont expect all the other teams to return when you decide to have another tourney. IMHO good teams should seek out good tournies.

pwrbomb1970

Addicted to Softballfans
Man we have this in our area. Have two teams, one coed one mens, that really have no business being in our tourns cept maybe one or two. They really are way above the competition that usually get into the tourns. Both are very ****y and arrogant and talk s*** all the time. I know most of the people playing on the teams and heck have played with em some, but man it does drive a bunch of teams to NOT play and go elsewhere.