Tournament teams in Rec Leagues?

blakcherry329

Suck it up. I think it's fun to play against stacked teams. Only way to get better is to play better competition. League is only for bragging rights and/or T-shirts, so it's all good.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
most tourney teams that play in leagues around here just cut up and goof off in league play. i coudl see it be annoying if they took it seriously.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
What I see more of here is a good tourny player or two playing on a team with a bunch of rec guys. You don't often see tourny teams with their whole squad playing league.

Part of me agrees with "suck it up" when you face good players in league. You may lose, but if you play hard and pay attention you could gain valuable insight into becoming a better player.

That said, I think tourny players should always play the highest level league offered. If you're playing E league and you're a C tourny player you aren't doing yourself or anyone else in the league any good.

ThroughbeingIAN

Starting Player
There aren't ratings in this league. For teams or players. 2 tournament teams who only lose to each other and a couple rec teams who are competitive amongst themselves but get destroyed by the other 2.

And the two are fully stacked. They pretty regularly argue about which one has made more money this year...

TomicSquad13

Addicted to Softballfans
I've been in a few leagues where there are two or three dominant teams and then the rest. Not sure how many teams were in the league, but there were only enough for one division so they scheduled the better teams to play each other twice each and you only played the rec teams once each. At the end of the season they would do and upper and rec playoff so the rec teams had a chance at league prizes.

I've been on both ends of the spectrum and you just try and make the best of it. There are a lot of options in SoCal so that makes it a little easier to find the right league for your ability level but there are also teams that inevitably sandbag for shirts.

StickCollector

It should be up to the LD, unless he is that guy on a stacked team. Although it can be discouraging for a new team to keep getting pulverized. It keeps some teams from signing up the next year, which makes fees go up for the remaining teams in the league.

There really shouldn't be "rec" league unless there is another division for the better players to play in. (Even if you try dividing abilities in leagues it's not going to work). Those evil tournament teams play somewhere during the week. They didn't get better playing Saturdays only.

Joker

Saw a C level coed tourney team come into an "upper" level league and mercy ruled every team in 5 innings every week. It wasn't fun for anybody

They moved over to the "lower" level mens league and went 9-1

billvp

Addicted to Softballfans
The fact is, most of those teams would get MUCH better work in having a practice than beating some bunch of n00bs 32-1.

blakcherry329

What I see more of here is a good tourny player or two playing on a team with a bunch of rec guys. You don't often see tourny teams with their whole squad playing league.

Part of me agrees with "suck it up" when you face good players in league. You may lose, but if you play hard and pay attention you could gain valuable insight into becoming a better player.

That said, I think tourny players should always play the highest level league offered. If you're playing E league and you're a C tourny player you aren't doing yourself or anyone else in the league any good.

Exactly. The stacked teams are not totally tournament players, but have a few great players. I haven't really seen a whole team playing in leagues around here. Tourney guys fill in all the time to get extra work in, but not full time.

Playing these teams lets you gauge where your league team is in their development, imo.

Stretch19

Grow up
why wouldnt guys/girls who play together on the weekend, want to play together during the week as well if possible?

id imagine if you play together on the weekends, majority of the time youre friends and would want to play with those friends also if you live in the same area

from my experience, most of the guys who do play on the weekend hate playing scrub ass teams during the week...i know i did anyways, it was a waste of time and a safety concern but cant always help who you play

blakcherry329

btw unless there are roster rules in a league, bitching about a loaded team is just bitching
Well yes and no. If a team is loading up, for important games, with ringers, it's kind of a DB move, even if there's no roster limitations. Like win by any means necessary for a league is a little messed up. I don't complain, but if you want to win like that, go ahead. If we can find a way to beat you, it's that much more satisfying.

Country469

If they are legally on the roster, and have done whatever it is that makes them eligible to play, its not really a DB move. Its just called having a better team. Sometimes people just want it more and are willing to do more to win. If they are doing it within the rules, you either need improve or just take it.

For example; we had a problem with guys just showing up for playoffs, but on the roster. So league made a rule that you had to play in 1/2 the games during the season to be eligible. After that it changed. If you don't like rules, change them, but don't fault people for working the system.

Joker

i understand in areas where there is 1 league and you're lucky to have that, you can expect to have a wide range of talent. move to a bigger city

around here every city runs it's own league with multiple levels of competition. the guys who play on weekends know what fields run the competitive leagues. there is no excuse for a D team to be playing in a low level league where guys just want to drink beer and get away from their wives for a little bit

Joker

i don't expect an LD to cross reference USSSA, NSA, and ASA player rankings for every roster. my city runs 4 fields, 6 days a week, with 3-5 levels of competition, mens and coed, and anywhere from 6-10 teams in each league. ain't nobody checking all those names. they do a pretty good job with placing teams in their correct division though

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
If they're not being jerks it's no big deal. If they're hitting middle and taking out people at second it's going to run teams off and should be handled. Otherwise, just try and learn from them.

Country469

thats what I meant, not classifying players but making sure if a team wins they move up, major players aren't in church league, etc.

blakcherry329

If they are legally on the roster, and have done whatever it is that makes them eligible to play, its not really a DB move. Its just called having a better team. Sometimes people just want it more and are willing to do more to win. If they are doing it within the rules, you either need improve or just take it.

For example; we had a problem with guys just showing up for playoffs, but on the roster. So league made a rule that you had to play in 1/2 the games during the season to be eligible. After that it changed. If you don't like rules, change them, but don't fault people for working the system.
That's a roster restriction. I'm saying in a league that doesn't have restriction, if a team loads up for the playoffs or when playing good teams, it's a db move. Just my opinion, you opinion may vary. Personally, I like to win with the team I started with. If you load up just to win, it's a hollow victory, imo.

Country469

I just put on some non matching **** and show up to give 100% effort for 4 abs and 50% effort for 7 innings. Its just league for me bro

sleepin4matty

Management Material
most tourney teams that play in leagues around here just cut up and goof off in league play. i coudl see it be annoying if they took it seriously.
That's my frustration too. The manager (yes they have one) for the team in my league offers a bat for the player with the best average at the end of league season. This team takes league night exceptionally seriously. They were up 18 on us and still tagging up on fly balls, taking extra bases, etc. annoying

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's my frustration too. The manager (yes they have one) for the team in my league offers a bat for the player with the best average at the end of league season. This team takes league night exceptionally seriously. They were up 18 on us and still tagging up on fly balls, taking extra bases, etc. annoying
You had better believe I'm not tagging up if it could help my teammates batting average and we're competing for a bat!!!