Tourney teams playing in co-ed league?

Adower

Star Player
Just wondering if this happens in your guys area. I play in a co-ed/beer league for fun and there are a couple of teams that have all tourney players. They end up killing everyone 25+ to 5 over the course of a season.

I wonder why anyone who is a tourney level player would want to even play in a league like this. There is obviously no competition for them so I wonder if they even have fun.

I guess its just kind of frustrating when you sit in the outfield literally 30-45 mins straight in a one hour game. I know that I'm not the greatest player, but, I have decent game and I guess its just competitiveness that gets me bitter being blown out.

EDIT* The only reason I play in this league is to have fun w/ my wife.

stepup

Coach
What are they only allowed to play in tournaments? Maybe they just wan to have fun with their wives?

Adower

Star Player
What are they only allowed to play in tournaments? Maybe they just wan to have fun with their wives?

Yes, but why choose the lowest co-ed league? Especially when there are other high co-ed leagues to play in. Would you really keep playing 100% full speed if the other team has trouble getting past first base and the score was 20+ to 2 or 3?

Maybe I am in the minority but I know I would cut it down to half speed.

17HnH

Old Made New Glove Relacing Owner
Might be the only night they can play. It's still annoying, but it can be hard to field a team on the night of the league you should be in. Just a thought.

17HnH

Old Made New Glove Relacing Owner
Might be the only night they can play. It's still annoying, but it can be hard to field a team on the night of the league you should be in. Just a thought.

grubd

Banned User
This, say the upper is Tuesday but they can only get everyone together on a night with lower level of play such as a Thursday for tournament practice.

esco21

Manager
Almost all the top teams that play in my coed league are tourney teams and/or players. I think it makes it fun because there actually is competition. Then again there are 3-4 coed nights/days where I'm at and every single one has a lower, intermediate, and competitive levels.

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
Had a similar situation this summer. I play in a church co-ed league and it's really not that competitive at all. I mean, even a lot of the guys that play are pretty bad. I started playing in it at first because my wife was playing. She doesn't anymore, but I still play so the team I play on has enough guys.

Anyways, this year there was a new team that got in that no one has seen before. I guess it was put together by a lady who had her daughter and sister in law and brother playing. Well, her brother plays on a few tourney teams and he got all his tourney buddies to play and/or to bring their significant others if they needed girls. And if they were short guys, they would just get some of the other guys; never saw more than a few guys show up for more than 2 or 3 games. Needless to say those guys shouldn't have been playing in this type of co-ed league (that's how "un-competitive" some of the teams are). Definitely not fun playing them and at times I was worried that some of the girls on the other team would get hurt.

/rant.

z-grip

Addicted to Softballfans
My coed tourney team plays in church league. Why show up if you're not going to try to win?

Madbeers

Boss Awesomesauce
Yes, but why choose the lowest co-ed league? Especially when there are other high co-ed leagues to play in. Would you really keep playing 100% full speed if the other team has trouble getting past first base and the score was 20+ to 2 or 3?

Maybe I am in the minority but I know I would cut it down to half speed.

We did go half speed on you guys.

RLH4L

Extra Hitter
It is frustrating. If you are a competitive person than deep down, no matter if its Church League or you play on Team USA, you hate to lose. But playing these teams and having to "up" your game a notch or two is what makes you and your team better softballers.

tmanstan

The Veteran
Does your coed league have different levels of competition? Maybe you should consider moving your team from D1 To D2? I play on a coed team with a bunch of guys that are all tourney level players. It is fun to bring our families out to play together. One of the guy's grandmother is even in the team. It is a very competitive league and the teams we play have a simar makeup of tourney players, but Our league also has two lower divisions for new and intermediate level competition. In some leagues, you are not moved up in division until you have placed first or second in lower division so if these teams are new to your league, they might be moved up next year...

Just to give you another perspective... Coed teams are meant to be fun. Winning is fun and all, but rolling over a team 20+ to 0 is really not all that fun. When we play teams that we know are not up to our level of competition, we mess around to even out the playing field and make the game more enjoyable. We switch gloves with each other righty/lefty, we switch positions, bat switch, etc. the other team usually has fun with it too. We have a team in our division this season that has never played before, but they signed up to late and lower division was full. Maybe same thing happened to these guys, upper was already full? Maybe you can talk to your league director about splitting into upper/lower if they aren't doing that already.

Adower

Star Player
Does your coed league have different levels of competition? Maybe you should consider moving your team from D1 To D2? I play on a coed team with a bunch of guys that are all tourney level players. It is fun to bring our families out to play together. One of the guy's grandmother is even in the team. It is a very competitive league and the teams we play have a simar makeup of tourney players, but Our league also has two lower divisions for new and intermediate level competition. In some leagues, you are not moved up in division until you have placed first or second in lower division so if these teams are new to your league, they might be moved up next year...

Just to give you another perspective... Coed teams are meant to be fun. Winning is fun and all, but rolling over a team 20+ to 0 is really not all that fun. When we play teams that we know are not up to our level of competition, we mess around to even out the playing field and make the game more enjoyable. We switch gloves with each other righty/lefty, we switch positions, bat switch, etc. the other team usually has fun with it too. We have a team in our division this season that has never played before, but they signed up to late and lower division was full. Maybe same thing happened to these guys, upper was already full? Maybe you can talk to your league director about splitting into upper/lower if they aren't doing that already.

There is a C and D league. We're in the D obviously. I take the same stance as you. If you're steam rolling a team why continue to play 100%? This team just keeps going on kill mode. I really think that is shows bad sportsmanship. From what I am told they are not a new team. They always play this same league and steam roll people. Which, is why I was saying; how can that be any fun?? But, it is what it is I guess.

rainbow warrior

Addicted to Softballfans
Just wondering if this happens in your guys area. I play in a co-ed/beer league for fun and there are a couple of teams that have all tourney players. They end up killing everyone 25+ to 5 over the course of a season.

I wonder why anyone who is a tourney level player would want to even play in a league like this. There is obviously no competition for them so I wonder if they even have fun.

I guess its just kind of frustrating when you sit in the outfield literally 30-45 mins straight in a one hour game. I know that I'm not the greatest player, but, I have decent game and I guess its just competitiveness that gets me bitter being blown out.

EDIT* The only reason I play in this league is to have fun w/ my wife.[/QUOTE

Team exactly like this in our league for many years. Tourneys every weekend and play 2 nights of league just blowing teams away. Not really sure it is a coed team, though. Can't tell the guys from the girls. And the former league director told us this team complains there isn't enough competition for them. Undefeated coed teams should just jump to men's league for more competition. LD needs to figure out teams don't return for another season because it is no fun standing in the OF watching a team put up 20 runs an inning. Now this would be a different story if it was a cool team to play, but they are notorious DBs and still take walks when up by 20+runs. Worse part of this is since so few teams return, we have seasons where we only have 4 teams in the league and end up playing them like 4 times per season.

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
Probably a lot of those teams actually have full blowing everyone out.... you know, because they can't do it anywhere else (like the tourneys they play in) :D

Beast28

Addicted to Softballfans
It's ghey if there are more competitive leagues or divisions available in the area. If your league is the best around then it's not b/c they deserve and want to play just like you. All depends on that whether they are douche are not.

Adower

Star Player

EDIT* The only reason I play in this league is to have fun w/ my wife.[/QUOTE

Team exactly like this in our league for many years. Tourneys every weekend and play 2 nights of league just blowing teams away. Not really sure it is a coed team, though. Can't tell the guys from the girls. And the former league director told us this team complains there isn't enough competition for them. Undefeated coed teams should just jump to men's league for more competition. LD needs to figure out teams don't return for another season because it is no fun standing in the OF watching a team put up 20 runs an inning. Now this would be a different story if it was a cool team to play, but they are notorious DBs and still take walks when up by 20+runs. Worse part of this is since so few teams return, we have seasons where we only have 4 teams in the league and end up playing them like 4 times per season.

Yes I agree. If they were cool and at least went 1/2 speed or switched up batting sides it would be okay. This team is super douchey.

Last edited:

RLH4L

Extra Hitter
If they are running off other teams from playing, then something needs to be said to the director about not inviting them anymore. We have a simar situation where we won't play if a certain team is in the league/tourney. Not because they are a great team, but because they are too mouthy and take the fun out of it.

RLH4L

Extra Hitter
If they are running off other teams from playing, then something needs to be said to the director about not inviting them anymore. We have a simar situation where we won't play if a certain team is in the league/tourney. Not because they are a great team, but because they are too mouthy and take the fun out of it.

OLD MAN

Addicted to Softballfans
I play CO-ED and there are no competitive leagues in our area. It is not fun for us to win 30-0 and we know its not fun for the other teams. So in order for the other teams to have fun we have been known to give them 6 outs per inning, or if the game is a quick run rule we will let them bat out the rest of the time. We are always friendly and do not mouth the other teams. we are very well liked by some of the worst teams in the league. It is the teams that think they are great that we have trouble with. We try not to run the score up unless the other team starts bitching. Oh yeah one more thing. The average age on our team is over 40. My wife myself and another guy on the team are all over 50. I think that is what really upsets the young guys not because they lose but because they lose to the oldest coed team in our area.

old man

fowlo308

Extra Hitter
I played in a coed l League this past season and it was the parks first coed season ever there was 2 good team and 2 bad teams we played all the team a couple times and was killing them so we decided to try to let them have fun to so we started to bat switch and switched the infield with outfield we still beat them pretty easy now we went and bought a wood bat so all the guys have to hit the wood bat hit switch and we put our girl playing 3rd SS LF and LCF after we did that they started complaining that we were takin it easy and they complain when we play regular sayin were to good tell me what were supposed to do

fowlo308

Extra Hitter
I played in a coed l League this past season and it was the parks first coed season ever there was 2 good team and 2 bad teams we played all the team a couple times and was killing them so we decided to try to let them have fun to so we started to bat switch and switched the infield with outfield we still beat them pretty easy now we went and bought a wood bat so all the guys have to hit the wood bat hit switch and we put our girl playing 3rd SS LF and LCF after we did that they started complaining that we were takin it easy and they complain when we play regular sayin were to good tell me what were supposed to do

cyoung187

Coach
I don't see how this batting switch and switching positions is going to make the other team have fun. They still know that there is no chance of winning. Sure they might catch up or make it close, but once that happens the superior team goes back to playing normal and finishes them off. They know they can never beat you for a championship so it discourages the hell out of them. LDs need to step up and either split divisions, or maybe even spot a good amount of runs if there is that much of a mismatch. Sandbagging can destroy a league.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
I don't see how this batting switch and switching positions is going to make the other team have fun. They still know that there is no chance of winning. Sure they might catch up or make it close, but once that happens the superior team goes back to playing normal and finishes them off. They know they can never beat you for a championship so it discourages the hell out of them. LDs need to step up and either split divisions, or maybe even spot a good amount of runs if there is that much of a mismatch. Sandbagging can destroy a league.

100%...if there's 1 team that's so far ahead of everyone else that every game is a true blowout, and they obviously don't belong in the league, the LD shouldn't allow them back. Playing isn't a god-given right, it's a right granted by the LD. If guys on the "tourney-team" really want to play in that league, they can pick up with other teams.

fowlo308

Extra Hitter
I'm fine with spotting runs but it bs to say that ur to good to play other teams should step up to the plate u don't get better by playin teams the same level u or worse than u we have a men's team in the same league with better teams than us I'm not goin to not play because there better than us that how u get better not by dodging the good team

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
I'm fine with spotting runs but it bs to say that ur to good to play other teams should step up to the plate u don't get better by playin teams the same level u or worse than u we have a men's team in the same league with better teams than us I'm not goin to not play because there better than us that how u get better not by dodging the good team

Punctuation may help you express your thoughts better, just saying.

As far as it being BS...no. It's the LD's responsibility to manage the league and to make decisions for the betterment of the league. If the LD is going to lose 3-4 teams in a 12 team league because one team is far better than any other team (not just far better than the worst teams), then it's likely in the league's best interest to preclude that team from playing.

Now, if you have a handful of teams that are so much better than everyone else that they wind up only playing 3 or 4 inning games, put those teams in their own division. You want to load up in a rec/beer league because you use the league for "practice", fine. Play the teams that want to do the same thing, not the teams that go out once a week to hang out and knock some back.

You do understand what a rec/beer league is, right? These guys/girls aren't looking to get better and get picked up for tourney ball, they're just out to have a good time. Hell, by your rationale a major team should be allowed to play E, because they'll be helping the E teams they face get better.