tournies > league

bartmanz

Addicted to Softballfans
Not all of us play tournaments. Not all of us play 4, 5 times a week.

Of the one night a week that I can spare to play a game I like, I have mix feelings about having guys who kept ranting stuff like

"i don't care, this is league"
"i don't walk, this is league (after chasing a wild ball for a pop up)"
"i'm only doing this for practice and bp since this is league"
"i'm tired and don't want to run in league since I want to save energy for my tournament this weekend"
"i can't get used to RF (After dropping 3 pop ups) since I play 3B in tournaments"

Yes, these players may be more talented, yes, these players may have more experience, and granted that they're playing league with a totally different motivation and totally different perspective, I just don't think it's fair to use these as excuses to be lazy, to **** around or to ruin a game with 10, 11 other people in it.

I guess it's just the matter of finding the right team and the right mix of people.

Country35

Banned User
That's the only way to reconcile the differences between softball guy and non softball guy.. unchecked hatred between the two's views on the game and their characters.

actually softball guy is the one who takes internet posting seriously.....relax bro, you make it look like I trolled when I didnt even try. The intent of the first post was to show we had the same thread two days ago.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
Going from third base to outfield takes a little time to get adjusted. The game slows down, you have to take more than a few steps to make a play, the ball doesn't always move in a straight line, etc.

murc

actually softball guy is the one who takes internet posting seriously.....relax bro, you make it look like I trolled when I didnt even try. The intent of the first post was to show we had the same thread two days ago.

That wasn't even directed at you.. unless you are, in fact, that guy.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
While watching game before us this week in league a young kid hits a scud and gets an in park hr with a couple guys on. Man that guy was so freakin happy getting high fives from everyone like he never hit one so good and everyone clapping. He was league hero for the night and it was just fine. Figure if the dude is pretty typical he has some job thats not the best in the world that could pay more with a boss who can be a pain in the ass like most people but for ten minutes that dude was freakin king kong. I was gonna remind him that some tourney guys would tell him its no biggie its just league and to chill out but that kid was winning and it brought a tear to my eye!

joeytown008

Manager
Going from third base to outfield takes a little time to get adjusted. The game slows down, you have to take more than a few steps to make a play, the ball doesn't always move in a straight line, etc.

Agree, I've been playing outfield in fall ball and it definitely takes some getting used to, especially moving from the left side of the infield to RC. The balls that tail away from were odd to say the least the first few times I encountered them, although I think I'm slowly transitioning to the OF for next year!

second2noone

Not all of us play tournaments. Not all of us play 4, 5 times a week.

Of the one night a week that I can spare to play a game I like, I have mix feelings about having guys who kept ranting stuff like

"i don't care, this is league"
"i don't walk, this is league (after chasing a wild ball for a pop up)"
"i'm only doing this for practice and bp since this is league"
"i'm tired and don't want to run in league since I want to save energy for my tournament this weekend"
"i can't get used to RF (After dropping 3 pop ups) since I play 3B in tournaments"

Yes, these players may be more talented, yes, these players may have more experience, and granted that they're playing league with a totally different motivation and totally different perspective, I just don't think it's fair to use these as excuses to be lazy, to **** around or to ruin a game with 10, 11 other people in it.

I guess it's just the matter of finding the right team and the right mix of people.

These guys are sorry and just make excuses.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
Agree, I've been playing outfield in fall ball and it definitely takes some getting used to, especially moving from the left side of the infield to RC. The balls that tail away from were odd to say the least the first few times I encountered them, although I think I'm slowly transitioning to the OF for next year!
I'd played 3B all my life up until I joined the team I'm playing with now, and they put me in RF. No worries, I just want to play. The first batter of the first game (righty) slapped a line drive into right. I ran in on it, it bounced in front of me...and had so much side spin that it shot 5 feet to my left. I ran it down and limited him to a triple. Oops. :eek:

Proboskus

Addicted to Softballfans
I've been playing rugby on and off for close to ten years. In rugby and soccer finishing first in league was the trophy. Play offs were only introduced recently (in some leagues). So to this day some teams that win it all are undermined by teams who won the league. In my opinion there's no reason to not give it your all in league. There may be less at stake but take some pride in your own performance.

Schiffy

i play league and tourney, and yeah, tourney ball definately has more skilled players, but when i play ball no matter what i'm playing, i play to my ability and i play to win... my dad raised me to give it 100% in everything you do, and i'll be damned if i just make up excuses for having a bad night or for being lazy. i either play league like i would tourney ball, or i sit on the bench. i have bad nights or nights i hurt(currently playing with a fractured collar bone) so instead of making up excuses for having a bad night, i'll keep the book or play bsae coach... if i'm at the field, i'm there to have fun and there to win.