Triple Plays

r8dr_rider

Love them when I’m on defense

Bases loaded, line drive to 3B. He catches it, tags 3rd and throws to 1B.

1, 2, 3

Share your triple play story...

ShortYellowBus

Bases loaded. No outs.

I was pitching and the guy opened up excessively, so I cheated towards 3rd base.

The ball was hit right to me. I caught it and I flipped it to third base before the guy at third tagged up.

Third baseman throws it hard to first and got the guy out at first who was sliding back to tag up. Three outs.

Normally I forget about simple plays like this. The guy who caught the ball at third and threw to first was a good person and an exceptional teammate. That game was the last game I had the pleasure of playing with him.

Unfortunately he passed away soon after. I’ll never forget that play.

Projectcam

Men on first and Second, ball gets hits to me at Short. Tag the runner out (from 2nd)and turn the double play to first. I have turned that triple play a couple times

Country469

bases were loaded. there were zero outs. I hit a damn piss rod that didnt get 20 feet of the ground. over the fence. inning over.

It was then back in like 03 I never played E ball again.

Joker

runner on 1st and 2nd, 0 outs. i hit a ball that hit the pitcher in the foot, it popped about 10' straight up. the runners ran cause they didn't see it hit his foot and neither did the base coaches. pitcher catches it and throws to 2nd then to 1st to get the triple play.

SandyWH

#Delicious
Bases Loaded
One of the hardest balls I've ever hit.
Hit the SS in the gut (completely missed his glove)
Runner on 2nd held the bag thinking he caught the ball.
SS picks up the ball, tags the runner on 2nd, steps on the bag, and then throws to first.

defos

My story is about a triple play that should have happened, but didn't, and I'm only telling it because my team was at bat. With runners on 1st and 2nd, our big, slow catcher hit a routine grounder to the SS. Disgusted with himself and expecting to be thrown out on a 6-4-3 double play, he wasn't putting any effort in getting to 1st. The defense got the lead runners on a 6-5-4 double play. The 2nd baseman could have run the ball over to 1st, but he didn't even think to look that direction, and has no idea he missed the easiest out at 1st he'll ever have the chance to make, which would have completed the triple play.

HowsTeddyLook

3 times I've been part of a 5-4-3 ground ball triple play while playing 2nd base.

Each time runners were on 1st and 2nd. Ground ball to the 3rd baseman. He steps on 3rd for the force, throws to me on 2nd, and I turn and gun to 1st. And these were not slow runners at the plate. They were feeling good with 2 runners on and no outs but all 3 were in shock when the throw beat them to 1st base for the 3rd out.

blakcherry329

Bottom of the 7th, up by 2, The other team has bases loaded nobody out. Big lefty 1b gets up and hits the first pitch 50' past the fence for an inning-ending, game-ending DBO. We were in shock, in a good way. lol

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
at 3rd base, trapped ball semi obviously, batter walked to dugout thinking i caught it, stepped on 3rd, threw to 2nd then lobbed the ball to 1st. we walked to the dugout. other dugout erupted claiming I caught it.

hitsone

How about the time I hit into a triple. Runners on 1 &2. I line drived over the SS, He lunges up and back and is thrown back, landing flat on his back with arms fully extended. Runner on 1 cannot see the ball and continues to 2. Runner on 2, can't see the ball either so decides to head to 3 as the runner from 1 is now at 2. Ss finally springs up, lunges at the runner heading to 3, then quickly turns and tags the other runner. He must have caught the line drive, but noone could see it in his glove the way he was laying on the ground.
Line dirive 1 out, first tag 2 out, 3rd tag 3 out. Team christened me the goat for hitting at the SS to start that mess.

swingnmiss

#1 IN YOUR HEARTS
IYFR4zb.jpg

tonys1

3 times I've been part of a 5-4-3 ground ball triple play while playing 2nd base.

Each time runners were on 1st and 2nd. Ground ball to the 3rd baseman. He steps on 3rd for the force, throws to me on 2nd, and I turn and gun to 1st. And these were not slow runners at the plate. They were feeling good with 2 runners on and no outs but all 3 were in shock when the throw beat them to 1st base for the 3rd out.

Do you hit 450 feet to dead center too?

It happened to our team. Runners on 1st and 2nd. Line drive hits the runner going from 2nd to 3rd(1st out), SS picks it up and steps on 2nd and then throws to first. Only happened because the batter didn't run when he heard it hit his teammate.

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
I've started two 5-4-3 TPs, and watched our 2B make one unassisted years ago in an intramural league game (I don't think it really counts though when the runners were guys that were new to the game and didn't know any better than to just start running when the ball was hit)

BruceinGa

always online
We had 2 in one inning!
We we're batting, runners on first and second ground ball to their third baseman, tags third, second to First triple play. They came to bat, runners on first and second, flyball to the outfield, runner's tag runner thrown out at third and we appealed the runner first leaving soon triple play. This was in 1980
About 10 yrs ago bases loaded, ground ball to me at first. I tag the runner leaving first, tag first, run at the runner advancing home amd throw to our catcher for out three
Almost unassisted triple play.

49er

Addicted to Softballfans
3 times, pretty similar scenarios. I always play first base just behind the basepath with a runner at first and less than 2 outs. So with men at first and second twice and bases loaded the third time, I fielded the ball. I tagged the runner on first, stepped to the bag with my right foot (I'm right-handed), then turned to fire the ball to third. The runner from second was tagged on the way twice and the other rounded the bag and was tagged trying to get back.

baseman

in your face nancy grace
Playing first randomly, normally I play center, runners on 1 and 2. Ball one hops to me. I tag the runner on first, step on first then throw to 3rd for the tag.

TomicSquad13

Addicted to Softballfans
We had a 6-1-3 Triple Play in a game.

Runners on 1st and 2nd no one out. Line drive to short, short flips to me covering second and I throw to first for the last out. We had 5 Double Plays and the TP in the 7 inning game and we still ended in a tie.

I think we finished with 6 ties that season. 2-2 and 6 for the season.

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
Missed what would have been the 3rd 5-4-3 I've started by maybe a half step at a tournament this past weekend.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
got stuck on a rough team. all the experience moved on and I was stuck with another guy and a bunch of novices.

playing against a team last night, runners at first and second nobody out. I watch their SS move close to 2nd base and i tell the hitter, "DO NOT HIT IT AT THE SS" he bounces a ball just out of reach of the SS. all runners advance 1 base. (guy 2nd scored maybe) the next guy i'm like "look at wear the SS is do not hit it at him" he proceeds to hit an easy ground ball right to him. tags guy running to 3rd, steps on 2nd, and throws to 1st.

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
That reminds me of another near TP we had this past weekend. Zero outs, runners on 1 & 2, speedy lefty at the plate that had hit middle the previous 2 ABs (he was a noob so it was unintentional and not hard shots). Our SS tells our P to turn and fire it right to him if he gets it. Sure enough, first pitch is a 2 hopper back at P. He fires to the SS who tags the runner, then shovels the ball to 2B. Batter was too fast though and beat the throw to 1st by a full step or more.

heath

Addicted to Softballfans
Turned 2 of them in D States like 8 years ago in FL. Both of them I was playing middle, men on 1st and 2nd, played up in the line, ground ball to me, tag the runner, step on 2nd, throw to first.