Trump special blend ASA/USA .52 300 review

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Bobby Buggs was nice enough to send me a few of Evil's new special blend .52 300s to hit against other balls and compare. Here are my thoughts:

These are a noticeable step up from Evil's prior .52 balls. Immediately I noticed more distance than before. The new balls feel crisper and bouncier. I hit with an assortment of doublewall aluminum bats. Temp was about 85 and a bit humid.

Basically, I was looking for two things.... batted ball speed and overall distance. The new Evil special blends seemed to do well in both categories. Top distance was about 360'. It could have been more, but the wind was blowing in just a tad, and I was a little hot and tired. I also purposely swung less than stellar bats in an attempt to get a true feel for the ball's performance. I wanted to see how the core would react off a stiff bat.

For this ball, Evil has switched to a composite cover. IMO this was a great idea. I feel like the leather cover does poorly on .52s, and not just Evils. I've hit other brands of .52s that had leather covers, and I thought they performed badly. The leather absorbs too much of the impact, and the core doesn't really get a chance to bounce the way it should. Also, over time the leather seems to get loose. Leather also weighs more than composite or synthetic.

These balls are bouncier than most other .52s I've seen. They bounce like tennis balls when they hit the ground. I have no clue how this will bode for infielders, but off the bat you really notice the bounce. The balls aren't any harder than other .52s, but you immediately notice them spring off the bat barrel. These balls stay in the air well and don't seem to die late like many other .52s do. On booming fly balls, the new Evils "stay hit" rather than limply dying out.

Here's a list of the other .52s I hit today with the Evils. Hycor C+ composite, ASA Thunder ZN composite, ASA X Rock, X Rock C+, Tattoo NX3 C+, ASA synthetic Tattoo, ASA composite Tattoo, Champro ASA synthetic, Decker Shark composite C+, Demarini Razzo synthetic, ASA Hot Dot synthetic, Hot Dot C+ SYCO.

I try to hit a wide variety of balls so I can notice trends. IMO these new Evil special blends fit nicely into the mix. I won't quite call them the best ball out there, but they perform admirably and are among the better .52s I've hit lately. For those who play ASA/USA and hit .52s, these are worth a look. The new composite cover makes them quite a bit livelier than prior Evil .52 models.

jhitman

Great review TW. My findings were the same as Bobby Buggs was nice enough to send me a few to demo as well. I felt that the new special blends were definitely an upgrade over the OG Evils that we currently use in league ball. Hoping that when we play in the Spring of 2020 we are sent these softballs instead of the original Evils. We have 2 years left on our contract with Evil and would like to hit the better performing special blend ball.

r8dr_rider

^how can I get a hold of some of these. I’m joining an ASA league and league supplies one .52. Team supplies after that. I only have .44s

dunkky

now i am curious if these 52s are really that good. Let me test a few in a hot humid texas weather if they fly good and i'll post a video. if i like them, i'll recommend to our director to use them over that "suckky trump ... balls" if price is within similar range.

Country469

now i am curious if these 52s are really that good. Let me test a few in a hot humid texas weather if they fly good and i'll post a video. if i like them, i'll recommend to our director to use them over that "suckky trump ... balls" if price is within similar range.

1. pandering for free **** lol
2. aren't you a rec player?
3. and of course evils cost more than low end trumps, why the **** do you think your LD buys them

bndawgs

President-Elect
If you are not able to retrieve your Home Run balls we suggest you not use this ball as it will get expensive.

LULZ

tonys1

If you are not able to retrieve your Home Run balls we suggest you not use this ball as it will get expensive.

LULZ

When paired with a super-stiff ZnX Alloy handle, you get the right tool for the right job. As long as that job is putting low-compression balls way over the fence.

I just found the best ASA bat / ball combo right here.

Country469

One time Buggs sent us 2 dozen balls for tourney of SBF bros in TN.

2 dozen I tell ya

I personally lost about 12 in a pond/woods cuz those suckers fly.

the whole cant afford to drop bombs is real

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
If these are 52/300 why isn't the green diamond ASA stamp on them? I see the ASA 44/375 circle stamp on them...

Its a new stamp. USA softball, which is basically what ASA is now named. The stamp looks the same as before, it just says USA instead of ASA. Its also still green. The balls are definitely .52 300s.

If you're seeing the .44 375 stamp it means someone simply put the wrong ball in the description photo.

dunkky

Thanks but the price is not going to be the similar to a synthetic cover 52.

Thanks bro, not sure what the difference in pricing is, but if it is proven to be performed better in 100 degree in TX, don't see a reason why he wouldn't try this. I'll pass that link to my friend who is also Asian tourney director to see if he is willing to try different balls than that "TRUMP.."

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I put some more swings on the .52 300 Evil special blends again today. My thoughts on them haven't changed. These balls have such a soft, pillowy feel. However, they also have a very springy reaction off the bat. You can feel the ball completely deform around the bat barrel as you hit it. After that, the core rebounds dramatically and the ball jumps.

The core on these balls is lively. Soft, but very rubbery/bouncy. I'm impressed with the carry I'm getting out of them. It feels like you're hitting a soft rubber ball. Despite the softness of the core, you still get a satisfying feel.

Furthest shot with the Evils today may have been 370'. Keep in mind, I'm not using great bats for BP. These balls are light years better than prior Evil .52s. Not only is the cover better than before, so is the core. I still think these balls could be an absolute ***** for infielders to deal with, but for hitting purposes they work great.

jhitman

I put some more swings on the .52 300 Evil special blends again today. My thoughts on them haven't changed. These balls have such a soft, pillowy feel. However, they also have a very springy reaction off the bat. You can feel the ball completely deform around the bat barrel as you hit it. After that, the core rebounds dramatically and the ball jumps.

The core on these balls is lively. Soft, but very rubbery/bouncy. I'm impressed with the carry I'm getting out of them. It feels like you're hitting a soft rubber ball. Despite the softness of the core, you still get a satisfying feel.

Furthest shot with the Evils today may have been 370'. Keep in mind, I'm not using great bats for BP. These balls are light years better than prior Evil .52s. Not only is the cover better than before, so is the core. I still think these balls could be an absolute ***** for infielders to deal with, but for hitting purposes they work great.

My findings were exactly the same as you posted here. I didn't know about the nightmare possibility for infielders so thanks for posting that. My testing was mostly for distance compared to the other 52's I have to include the OG Evils. The special blend ball does have a better carry for sure. They seem to be almost the same as the Dudley ZN's I have. Hopefully Mr. Buggs will be able to shoot these our way for the Spring 2020 season. I think the complaints will go away once the players hit this ball as opposed to the OG Evils. I could use a break on NOT hearing it any longer.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Just to be clear you must have your director contact me directly as BSN does not control the Special Blends, only I have them.

jhitman

Just to be clear you must have your director contact me directly as BSN does not control the Special Blends, only I have them.

Okay I will let him know. I think it's 50-50 with him as he doesn't care what the players want. And if it's an inconvenience to him to make a call, he most likely won't request them. He's a terrible LD.

ShortYellowBus

Regardless, Softball isn’t a sport for unqualified persons on the internet to shame manufacturers over extremely scarce equipment that’s qualified and deemed superior to other options.

Cheap and petty is unnecessary, and generally frowned upon.

tonys1

WOW!!! These are the real deal!!!! I bought a few dozen of these, guys pay special attention to:

"If you are not able to retrieve your Home Run balls we suggest you not use this ball as it will get expensive."

There's a forest half a mile from the park I hit at, I was consistently hitting these balls in there. It got expensive because I wasn't able to retrieve my home run balls.

jhitman

Unless they're absolute pearls, that's extortion. I generally sell used balls that I find for 50 cents each.

I agree wit this. My buddy used to hunt for HR balls after tournaments or league play as most didn't retrieve their HR balls. He would sell them by the bucket which would consist of about 50 softballs. He would usually charge about $25.00. You were getting a mix of some newer balls and some that were more used. There were groups back them that were always looking for balls to hit for BP but didn't want to spend the money to buy them on-line.