Turf Infields

jayb-223

Coach
Our sports complex is getting turf infields this year. Was wondering what to expect, any of you guys had any experience with them?

Hawkeye92

OG Midget Mafia
Our sports complex is getting turf infields this year. Was wondering what to expect, any of you guys had any experience with them?
I played on some last night. They're awesome. Like the others have said - no more rainouts, no more bad hops, no more dirty uniforms. Just make sure you start your slide earlier than normal or you'll shoot right over the base.
Most complexes won't let you chew gum, tobacco, or spit seeds, so be prepared for that if that's your thing.

txbullets

The OG JayZ
Expect great fields, great hops, and very few rain outs. It will mean playing in conditions you may not want to play in sometimes. Expect turf burns if you are not wearing pants and lastly I am sure you should expect the prices to go up a decent amount.

AceMedic

The Veteran
Expect to piss excellence the next time you play on dirt, you learn to play at turf speeds it will dramatically improve your reflexes for when you play on dirt, enjoy!!

TrainWreck209

Hardcore since '84
with turf the hops are very true. it doesn't seem to translate well to dirt. if u are used to straight normal turf hops, ****ty dirt fields will break u and ur face

jgsxr04600

Star Player
Stay down

Turf is excellent. Just stay down on the ball and don't worry about playing bad hops, there won't be any. I would suggest playing 3 to 4 steps deeper than normal. Also go take some infield on them before you play, so you can get used to the ball "sliding" across the turf instead of bouncing.

buzzinthetower

<font color="#32CD32">Hitting</font>
Turf is excellent. Just stay down on the ball and don't worry about playing bad hops, there won't be any. I would suggest playing 3 to 4 steps deeper than normal. Also go take some infield on them before you play, so you can get used to the ball "sliding" across the turf instead of bouncing.

Agreed. Turf if great. If your turf has the cutouts for first and third bases u have to figure out if u wanna play in front of the cutout or behind. Front will give less reaction time. Behind will give u more time but the ball could hit the lip or dirt and possible bad hop. Idk if they are making turf fields like that any more, but I have played on them. Idk y they wouldn't be all turf with no cut outs. And in some places you'll have to empty the little black rubber pellets out of your shoes every so often. Youll also be quicker on the base paths.

17HnH

Old Made New Glove Relacing Owner
Sliding is fun. Clean uniforms are nice too. Completely agree with taking infield before the game. Not just a couple slow rollers from your first baseman, but some true batted balls. The absolute BEST part is the true hop you will now get. Have fun!

WISEGUY18

Not Very Wise
I would imagine they play a lot faster than a dirt field.

you learn to play at turf speeds it will dramatically improve your reflexes for when you play on dirt, enjoy!!

Turf is excellent. I would suggest playing 3 to 4 steps deeper than normal. Also go take some infield on them before you play, so you can get used to the ball "sliding" across the turf instead of bouncing.

Fast and true hops

Completely agree with taking infield before the game. Not just a couple slow rollers from your first baseman, but some true batted balls. The absolute BEST part is the true hop you will now get. Have fun!

I agree with all these... you expect to be ready for the fast hop off the turf but those ball get on ya in a hurry! We played a tourney a few weeks ago where games were being played on both turf and dirt fields, talk about making adjustments :)

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Time to come up with some new excuses why you missed ground balls, it took a bad hop no longer works.

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
Never played on turf so maybe I don't understand how there are no more rainouts? I understand that the field may not flood but does it stop thunderstorms from building over the field?

Damo

<font color=#cc3333"> MADE IN CANADA!</font>
We play on turf for dome ball in the winter :(
And I find the hops are crazy when you have always played on grass
Seem they come up a bit higher and when a hard line shot just threw the infield when it hits the turf pics up some crazy spin and when it hits and almost gains another 20mph
Could be totally different turf the stuff we have in the domes here have rubber pellets all threw it? Could be on a turf fields I'm not sure drives my crazy at the end of the night dumping a tire out of my turf lol

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah - some of the turf infields are like skipping stones through when wet or raining + some weird hops - will be worse with the 52/300 balls they're - face hunters to begin with.......play a long tourney on the stuff and be ready for sore legs for a few days.

A couple of years ago I made the mistake of sliding with shorts on (bottom of 7 - tying run - scored and we won) - anyway - I picked up some kind of infection off that stuff that lasted for months and really affected the joints. Don't forget that stuff doesn't self clean like normal grass or dirt. Any blood, snot, spit, sweat, skin fragments, stay there. I believe we picked 20+ of those rubber pellets they use to firm it up out of my legs.

Always long pants on that stuff after that.........

txbullets

The OG JayZ
Never played on turf so maybe I don't understand how there are no more rainouts? I understand that the field may not flood but does it stop thunderstorms from building over the field?

At bld they have a professional drainage system so when it pours all day it us dry that night. Only time they rainout is lightening threats or major flood.

wbaubl1

Part Time Player
There are a lot of great posts on here regarding turf fields. The only thing is the black beads are a pain in the a$$. Make sure you shake your sox out before you go in your house. Other than that, enjoy the most true form of a ground ball. Be careful if its a little wet too, straight pi$$ rods off of the skip haha.