Turf Shoes or Cleats?

chucky02

Just recently discovered this site.....already becoming addicted. I see alot of guys going to a turf shoe these days instead of molded cleats like I was used to seeing. Is there a reason for the switch I'm not getting, because they look like they are giving away traction?

Smart up and go with turf. It will save your feet in the long term. Traction is not a problem IMO.

beedo16

Addicted to Softballfans
if your worried about traction and want a comfortable cleat look into tanel RevD's you wont be disappointed.

1anonly

Addicted to Softballfans
I own Boombah turfs and Jordan cleats. I play outfield and I play it very agressive. I have slipped in my Boombahs a few times, that was when I made a hard cut in long or wet grass. So on wet days I wear my cleats. I'm also one of the fastest guys in the league. When I run the bases, I feel like I gain a half a step with the Boombahs. They feel very comfortable and springy. I love my Boombahs.

coleman135

Lead Farmer Mother****er
I wear cleats and have no problems at all. Once my cleats were broken in they became quite comfortable.

Chowder

Addicted to Softballfans
These here are GTG!! Can be found HERE

miz_blast_low.jpg

Last edited:

sosa2314

Laser show
I love my Boombah turfs. I bought a pair of boombah molded just to try for the softer dirt infields. My next big tournament is at Big league dreams in Vegas so I doubt it will be a problem there. :D

RiverRat77

Addicted to Softballfans
I have the NikeID AirMax cleats and while the cleat is wayyyy comfortable just walking around and fit to my foot, I've had shin splints this year worse than ever. Didn't get them last year with UnderArmor cleats, or some Mizuno's I wore the year before but this year its pretty bad. I did put a pretty thick gel insole in them (taken out of my hunting boots) and it has helped a lot with giving me more cushion. I don't know if its the cleats, the way I run, how much league :eek: I play all summer and fall or what... but I'm not against trying some turfs. I have friends that swear turfs with a gel insole are the best feeling ever for your feet during a game, so I'll try it. One of my friends plays 3rd in Mizuno 9 Spike turfs and he claims he hasn't lost anything by switching from cleats.

cloudyy

Addicted to Softballfans
i used to wear cleats until I started get regular pain in my foot and shins. I tried various turfs and heres my thoughts on them.

Elite Turfs - comfortable, but made a little too wide for me. Traction was good in dry but terrible in rain.
New Balance 995 - very comfortable, like wearing sneakers. Very good traction, I use it to play volleyball mostly.
Tanel Rev D - they call it a hybrid. not as comfortable as the other 2 but still very good. best traction, I love these shoes.

SlapHappy

Addicted to Softballfans
Smart up and go with turf. It will save your feet in the long term. Traction is not a problem IMO.

Unless you are wearing Walmart cleats, you shouldn't have cleats that are hurting your feet. And traction is a huge issue in my opinion when it gets wet. For the Arizona/So Cal guys, turfs are probably perfect. For people that need to play in slick conditions or muddy fields, there's no way I would wear turfs. I've tried and the mud sticks in between the nubs and makes the entire bottom of my Boombahs just a slick mud pad.

just watch a mlb game alot of them are switching to turffs

It makes sense because they play on amazingly manicured fields with huge ground crews and an insane upkeep budget. I would wear turfs too. For some leagues I play in, I'm lucky if there's no standing water on the field. That's why I stick with cleats.

iceman7420

I have both Tanel Cleats and Boombah Trail Blazers. I play OF and if the grass is wet or long, I always wear the Tanels for better traction. Low cut, dry grass, Boombahs are solid. Most of my infielders wear the Boombah turfs (various models turf, trail blazers, etc) and swear by them.

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
I think you can get away w/ Turfs in most cond in IF unless muddy.
Soon as grass is long, wet, sandy in OF, go w/ cleats.
Point is to buy some cleats w/ at least some basic cushioning,
like Mizuno and/or Nike Air b/c cleats do hurt after more than 1-2 game.

BigCountry11

Star Player
Columbus, GA?

Go see Tom at 6 Twelve Sports in Indian Head Park

708-784-0612 or 847-769-3499

He can hook you up with some 3n2 turf shoes

Where I can I find some 3n2's around Columbus, GA? Don't get me wrong, I can google, I just wondered if you had any suggestions. I've been wanting to get a pair for awhile. I'll be back in CONUS shortly and want to get a pair for fall ball.

MNCFer

Mr. Glass
Like most of the bros on here said, probably depends on conditions and what position you play. I play strictly in the OF, and I prefer cleats. The main thing is to find cleats that are comfortable if you are going to go with them. I have Tanels and I actually rotate them. If I played IF, I would definitely go with turfs.

JLong14

Addicted to Softballfans
I love my Boombah turfs. I bought a pair of boombah molded just to try for the softer dirt infields. My next big tournament is at Big league dreams in Vegas so I doubt it will be a problem there. :D

I play at BLD in Vegas almost every weekend and the infields are all turf and the outfield is manicured grass, the Boombahs are amazing on this surface.:eek::eek::eek:

BlueJacket

Addicted to Softballfans
I went to turf shoes because my Nike cleats I used gave me shin splints something awful. After a year in pain I found this site and found the cure to my shin splints...turfs! Turfs are much easier on your legs and body. I do have a pair of cleats in my bag just in case I have to play in a mud pit somewhere but other than that I always wear my turfs. The difference in traction is minimal and plaes in comparison to the difference in comfort and better feeling body.

Mizuno Blast 9's are GTG if you have narrow feet. Tanel RPM Lites are VGTG.

I also went to turfs for the same reason, also I always put gel inserts in them and my shin splints have gone away.

Elites are what I have been using for the past three years and like them a lot. I have had no problems wet or dry playing infield.

Last edited:

goro25

Sin Vergüenza
This question has been asked more times than I can count.

99% will say Mizuno 9 Spike Blasts
.99% will say various turfs
swingnmiss will say Tanel Rev D's (cleats)