Turfs vs. Cleats

chedched

Coach
I've only ever worn cleats. What am I missing? Seems like everyone here wears turfs for some reason. Can anyone elaborate on why turfs are better or is it a personal preference kind of thing?

RockyMTNHusker

Addicted to Softballfans
i find that a full day of playing a tournament is much tougher on my body then a full day on turfs and since i switched to turfs i haven't had any issues with traction... so i stayed with turfs full time...

Qoheleth52

Addicted to Softballfans
What makes cleats give you more traction, specifically running the bases? Unless you play on infields that are watered before games or something, I don't get it. All the infields are hard as hell around here. I have worn various turfs/trail shoes for years because they are far more comfortable and I have had zero issues with lost traction, infield or outfield. If you play in wet conditions I get it, sort of...

tnbowhunter

Addicted to Softballfans
What makes cleats give you more traction, specifically running the bases? Unless you play on infields that are watered before games or something, I don't get it. All the infields are hard as hell around here. I have worn various turfs/trail shoes for years because they are far more comfortable and I have had zero issues with lost traction, infield or outfield. If you play in wet conditions I get it, sort of...

This... I've worn my AirMax running shoes at times I played unplanned and never had any issues with traction.

WarHorse

Star Player
I've only ever worn cleats as well but the speedcross 3s wear like a cleat, get traction like a cleat, but perform like a running shoe. At the end of a long day at work, they're very comfy. I'm willing to bet they'll be just as comfy after a long tourny. I was fast in cleats, but I feel much faster in the speedcross shoe. I don't have any specific numbers, but I am a numbers guy and as soon as spring comes I'm going to time my runs in cleats vs speedcross3s and then see just how much performance increase I gain.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Big fan of turfs here, at least for the positions I play - 1st and pitcher. when I was pitching 3-4 nights a week I would go thru my replacement cleats about every 3 weeks. Turf shoes last me on average 2 years (7-10 seasons). I can see where cleats might give you better traction in the outfield on wetter nights but for infield and overall comfort turfs are one hell of a lot better. FYI Mizuno 9- Spike Blast mid turfs are the shoe of choice for me.

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
I've only ever worn cleats as well but the speedcross 3s wear like a cleat, get traction like a cleat, but perform like a running shoe. At the end of a long day at work, they're very comfy. I'm willing to bet they'll be just as comfy after a long tourny. I was fast in cleats, but I feel much faster in the speedcross shoe. I don't have any specific numbers, but I am a numbers guy and as soon as spring comes I'm going to time my runs in cleats vs speedcross3s and then see just how much performance increase I gain.

Now I've read some dumb things on this site before but timing one's self in different shoes to see a "performance increase"...you do know this is softball!?!?! Lol...kidding...

Guess it really depends on the fields one plays on. Some of our fields are like beach volleyball courts and getting traction in Air Max's would be impossible. Turfs do well, but you almost need cleats. I wish I played on fields where I could where trail shoes all the time, but call me a purist, I'd probably still rock my Air Max cleats...like walking on clouds (well as close as possible in a cleat!).

The Speedcross would be the only other "cleat" I would consider, they get great reviews on here.

Last edited:

exccsracer

Scrooge McBase
I've found that Mizuno Wave Trainers give me plenty of grip and just enough slip to not injure my old ass.

If it's really wet or a really soft infield I'll switch to cleats.

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
Switched to turfs a few years ago and Ill never go back to cleats. Even in wet conditions, every pair of turfs Ive owned have done their job. Boombahs, fat boyz, reeboks, adidas vigors. Its gotta be down right sloppy for me to switch to cleats.

scrub

Addicted to Softballfans
metal spikes >>> turfs >>> molded spikes

Since metal spikes are illegal, you move on to the next best option.

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
metal spikes >>> turfs >>> molded spikes

Since metal spikes are illegal, you move on to the next best option.

I wore metal spikes all through college and would have worn them in softball if they were allowed. I used to swear by them. Now, theres no way Id ever go back to them. Id play in sneakers before I went back to metal spikes.

SoxFan81

Addicted to Softballfans
Have heard many good reviews of the new balance molded cleats. Far more comfortable than most molded cleats.

I am gonna pick up a pair. I currently use adidas vigor and they work well also.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
3n2 turf nut here. I was tired of shin splints and knee pain after playing just 1 game in molded cleats. I made the switch a couple years back and was amazed!! Turfs have enough give when you want it, enough traction when you need it, and comfort for days!! I've tried a few but landed with the 3n2. One of the lightest shoes on the market and they last forever. I even use them in my indoor flag football league and they're still holding up great.

SoxFan81

Addicted to Softballfans
I personally steer clear of boombah and elite turfs.
I've tried numerous models and all fell apart . 3n2 look like a well constructed turf.

SandyWH

#Delicious
Big fan of turfs here, at least for the positions I play - 1st and pitcher. when I was pitching 3-4 nights a week I would go thru my replacement cleats about every 3 weeks. Turf shoes last me on average 2 years (7-10 seasons). I can see where cleats might give you better traction in the outfield on wetter nights but for infield and overall comfort turfs are one hell of a lot better. FYI Mizuno 9- Spike Blast mid turfs are the shoe of choice for me.
x2 on everything in this post

WarHorse

Star Player
x2 on everything in this post

I'd like to add, since getting my speedcross 3s I ran through my snow covered yard a few times and jumped on the ice to purposely slipped, and haven't yet. I've gotten better traction than my Mizuno cleats and have felt much faster with the lighter and more agile speedcross3s.

I might just run a marathon in these things.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
I've only ever worn cleats. What am I missing? Seems like everyone here wears turfs for some reason. Can anyone elaborate on why turfs are better or is it a personal preference kind of thing?

It's likely you won't see a difference or realize the true benefit of turfs if you are playing league games once or twice per week. I didn't realize a difference until playing tourney's and running around for 4+ games in one day. I have the Mizuno's and they are very nice. I also have the Reebok's with the little rubber knobs and they are pretty good as well. I've heard great things about the Tanel that swing recommends, might have to give them a try.