ASA ump please help with a coed rule

dopeyseado

Addicted to Softballfans
in coed asa ....i know 2 male and 2 female players must be in the out field and same for the infield but my question is can a male or female infielder have any part of there feet or body in the out field or can they be standing on the grass which is part of the out field prior to the pitcher pitching the ball, i know once the pitcher releases the ball any one of the infielders can be in any part of the outfield but they must be on the dirt or grass infield until the ball release please help with this rule

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Forget the grass. The grass has nothing to do with the rule. It is 100% umpire's judgment as to whether a fielder is defending the area around 1st, 2nd, 3rd or shortstop. That, and that alone, defines whether a player is an infielder or an outfielder.

Now, I have seen some leagues with local rules that say, "the dirt is the infield, the grass is the outfield." However, speaking ASA, the grass is never mentioned in the rulebook as it pertains to infielders vs. outfielders.

dopeyseado

Addicted to Softballfans
ump

this was a asa state tournament and the player played 2nd base and was about 4 to 5 feet into the outfield and made a play that he could only make from being in the outfield not if he was on the dirt and it change the game in the 7th inning from being a hit by a girl to the 2nd out..i always thought since the rule states 2 male and female have to be in the outfield and same for the infield if the player is around 4 or so feet into the outfield he or she is now a short outfielder and is no longer part of the infield just confused on this rule it seems to much of a gray erea

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
The problem is the closest thing to something defining where they can play is this:

INFIELDER
An infielder, pitcher, or catcher for purposes of an appeal play or the
infield fly rule is any player who defends the area of the field around first,
second, third or shortstop areas. This also assists in placing fielders in the
COED slow pitch game, which requires four players in the outfield and four
in the infield.

It says defends the area AROUND the bases nothing about the dirt. I'm pretty sure by definition it's illegal to play a 5 man in coed, but if there is no grass/dirt definition, what would stop a team from bringing an "outfielder" as a "rover" to play in the grass right behind second base? Even the grass/dirt definition wouldn't really stop them from doing that.

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
this was a asa state tournament and the player played 2nd base and was about 4 to 5 feet into the outfield and made a play that he could only make from being in the outfield not if he was on the dirt and it change the game in the 7th inning from being a hit by a girl to the 2nd out..i always thought since the rule states 2 male and female have to be in the outfield and same for the infield if the player is around 4 or so feet into the outfield he or she is now a short outfielder and is no longer part of the infield just confused on this rule it seems to much of a gray erea

Again, you need to totally forget where the grass and dirt are. They have ZERO bearing on who is considered an infielder or outfielder.

My personal thought would be to ask myself whether a fielder would/could reasonably cover the nearest base for a force out on an infield ground ball. This is by no means the guideline, but that would be a reasonable qualification for an "infielder" in my judgement.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

There is no gray area. The IF play in the area normally covered by the IF and OF play in the area normally covered by the OF. Here is the ONLY important question: where were the other players positioned?

I wonder if you would have said anything if it were a male batting, or are you just looking for an excuse for not outscoring the other team? It is NOT the defense's responsibility to provide the offense with an area to hit the ball safely, it is the offense's responsibility to hit the ball where they ain't

dopeyseado

Addicted to Softballfans
coed

thanks for all the help just to me and some of the umps at that tournament thinks its a big gray erea and are going to bring it up at the next national asa meeting.softball is like 85% offense but i just think that rule has to be more clear by asa just my opinion and once again thanks for everyones opinion on this matter

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
thanks for all the help just to me and some of the umps at that tournament thinks its a big gray erea and are going to bring it up at the next national asa meeting.softball is like 85% offense but i just think that rule has to be more clear by asa just my opinion and once again thanks for everyones opinion on this matter

Bring what up? And how? Without a rule change, which isn't likely, there is nothing that can be said that hasn't already been said and included in clinics around the country.

If the umps think there is a gray area, it is all in their imagination. The rule is clear, has been for all the years there has been Co-ed ball and if anything should change, maybe it is the pattern in which the umpires attain the available training.

Then again, you are talking about CT.