Any Umpire pay and the IRS

synergy40

Addicted to Softballfans
I meant a few hundred dollars in what they'd be paying in taxes, not what they actually make, but I understand what you're saying. I'm talking about my league only, not tournaments or anything like that. I'm sure the State UIC keeps some record since we are a sanctioned USSSA league.

Probably true on both parts.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
How would they know? I pay the umpires in cash and get paid in cash? Who is they? I'm not saying they can't find out, but why would the IRS bother with someone over a few hundred dollars?

I understand the desire to not pay taxes on this income....and I hate paying taxes as much as the next guy.....BUT......it is the law.

We earned it......it is taxable......we pay on it.

Joel

SillystickEM

Highway Man
I understand the desire to not pay taxes on this income....and I hate paying taxes as much as the next guy.....BUT......it is the law.

We earned it......it is taxable......we pay on it.

Joel

Wow! Somebody was a teachers pet. I pay plenty of money in taxes and if I was a ump and got paid in cash there's no way I'm claiming it, less the govt knows the better. There always sticking there dirty ass hands where they shouldn't be! Keep the cash for you softball bat addiction. The real problem is all the tax money they give away to those welfare freeloading bums! I can't stand giving my hard earned money to bums!

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Wow! Somebody was a teachers pet. I pay plenty of money in taxes and if I was a ump and got paid in cash there's no way I'm claiming it, less the govt knows the better. There always sticking there dirty ass hands where they shouldn't be! Keep the cash for you softball bat addiction. The real problem is all the tax money they give away to those welfare freeloading bums! I can't stand giving my hard earned money to bums!

Then grow a pair and put different people into office.

Gotta love people in this country who sit around and whine about the government and politicians, but at election time don't lift a finger getting involved or vote for anyone other then who the party, union or whomever tell them to vote for.

IKnowNothing

Addicted to Softballfans

The IRS should police govt spending instead of where there going to squeeze there next dollar from....

feel free to leave at any time ... these are the rules we all implicitly agree to live by

knooch21

ancient chinese secret
While all the morality police give their $0.02 up in here, I guarantee that not a 1 of the umpires I work w/ report their CASH earnings from tourneys. Now,league wise where a monthly "paycheck" is generated,until they earn enough to get a 1099,isn't getting reported unless they know their expenses are going to be beneficial to them. I'm pretty sure it's mostly done for the "free money". IJS

Last edited:

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans

Yeah....Yeah.....I heard that **** before......

I don't enjoy giving my money to the govenment anymore than the next guy.......but.....it is the law and I do abide by it....

I am a very poor "but young" retired guy.....who would like not to have the IRS crawl up my ass.......I cannot afford it....so you bet your butt I report everything.......hope your youngster ass can afford it too......

Joel

And to all the don't report it people.......yeah.....I have changed the oil for the lady next door for twenty bucks and kept the change.....and trimmed the bushes for the other lady down the street and pocketed forty or fifty bucks....you get the picture....but that is not a regular job.

Umpiring is a job......not a hobby......

Again......Joel

Last edited:

SillystickEM

Highway Man
feel free to leave at any time ... these are the rules we all implicitly agree to live by

Please dude! I don't make very much a year but 7,200 in taxes a year is PLENTY if I made 1000 umping a summer NO way I'm claiming that! We Need to stop handing out all of OUR (people who pay taxes) money to bums!

IKnowNothing

Addicted to Softballfans
Please dude! I don't make very much a year but 7,200 in taxes a year is PLENTY if I made 1000 umping a summer NO way I'm claiming that! We Need to stop handing out all of OUR (people who pay taxes) money to bums!

well, its not worth arguing with someone who clearly doesn't think the rules apply to them the same as it does to everyone else. We have what is known as a voluntary compliance system in this country that relies on individuals and companies to voluntarily report all of their taxable income. Those who don't merely perpetuate problems for everyone else.

SillystickEM

Highway Man
While all the morality police give their $0.02 up in here, I guarantee that not a 1 of the umpires I work w/ report their CASH earnings from tourneys. Now,league wise where a monthly "paycheck" is generated,until they earn enough to get a 1099,isn't getting reported unless they know their expenses are going to be beneficial to them. I'm pretty it's mostly done for the "free money". IJS

Thank you. I was a ref for youth hockey for 3 years and got a taxed check, and that was fine but if I can make a little cash you better believe I'm making it!

SillystickEM

Highway Man
well, its not worth arguing with someone who clearly doesn't think the rules apply to them the same as it does to everyone else. We have what is known as a voluntary compliance system in this country that relies on individuals and companies to voluntarily report all of their taxable income. Those who don't merely perpetuate problems for everyone else.

What about the people who live off your taxes and have never put into the pot? Keeping giving It away I guess. I should quit my job get welfare And I wouldn't have to worry about taxes..... Welfare and food stamps for all!

SillystickEM

Highway Man

Every time I make cash, I'll give a 20 to the next bum I see if it makes you feel better :)

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
What about the people who live off your taxes and have never put into the pot? Keeping giving It away I guess. I should quit my job get welfare And I wouldn't have to worry about taxes..... Welfare and food stamps for all!

Hey, Jackass, while I agree government handouts are not something I care for in this country, when a scofflaw like yourself holds out and doesn't abide by the tax code (even as ridiculous as it is), that means the rest of us have to pay that much more. So, in essence, you are stealing from me.

So, the next time I'm talking to my tax people and I need some leverage, I'll point them right at this server and thread and SillystickEM :cool:

SillystickEM

Highway Man
Hey, Jackass, while I agree government handouts are not something I care for in this country, when a scofflaw like yourself holds out and doesn't abide by the tax code (even as ridiculous as it is), that means the rest of us have to pay that much more. So, in essence, you are stealing from me.

So, the next time I'm talking to my tax people and I need some leverage, I'll point them right at this server and thread and SillystickEM :cool:

Just so you know 53% of Americans pay federal income tax. So that means me you and the rest of us that pay taxes are flipping the bill on 47% of the US. So before you think I'm STEALING from you think twice, I paid over 7k in taxes last year. May not be much to some but I can use Every dollar I EARN!!!! And for the record I don't even ump or make cash, I'm just saying if I did its going onto my PayPal account and I'm getting a new bat. Chew on that there before you tell me I'm stealing from you. How about the 47% who don't pay ****!

SillystickEM

Highway Man
So, the next time I'm talking to my tax people and I need some leverage, I'll point them right at this server and thread and SillystickEM :cool:[/QUOTE]

Good one dbag!

MNCFer

Mr. Glass
Never umped but if I were paid cash, there is no way I'd claim that. Washington's sticky fingers get enough from me every year. (And yes, I've voted in every single election since I've been legal to do so).

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Never umped but if I were paid cash, there is no way I'd claim that. Washington's sticky fingers get enough from me every year. (And yes, I've voted in every single election since I've been legal to do so).

You ever been through an audit where someone really wants to find something?

The IRS is just like the Fram oil filter guy, you can pay them now or pay them later.

Trust me, now is the better time.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Just so you know 53% of Americans pay federal income tax. So that means me you and the rest of us that pay taxes are flipping the bill on 47% of the US. So before you think I'm STEALING from you think twice, I paid over 7k in taxes last year. May not be much to some but I can use Every dollar I EARN!!!! And for the record I don't even ump or make cash, I'm just saying if I did its going onto my PayPal account and I'm getting a new bat. Chew on that there before you tell me I'm stealing from you. How about the 47% who don't pay ****!

So it sucks to be you, but the point is still valid.

Gallops

Addicted to Softballfans
Thing is in most cases from what I have heard from local umpires, first, you pay to take the umpire course, then you have to pay a percentage to the guys who schedule you games. I may be wrong but I have heard this from a couple of guys.

Hell, I am planning on taking the ASA umpiring course in Feb. and it's $80 to take it.

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
Thing is in most cases from what I have heard from local umpires, first, you pay to take the umpire course, then you have to pay a percentage to the guys who schedule you games. I may be wrong but I have heard this from a couple of guys.

Hell, I am planning on taking the ASA umpiring course in Feb. and it's $80 to take it.

As said before, that's all deductible. As is your uniform, mileage, classes, equipment, etc.

synergy40

Addicted to Softballfans
You ever been through an audit where someone really wants to find something?

The IRS is just like the Fram oil filter guy, you can pay them now or pay them later.

Trust me, now is the better time.

first of all Fram is the worst filter you can buy, show some love to your car, dang it.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
first of all Fram is the worst filter you can buy, show some love to your car, dang it.

And.........?

Fram in the 80's was the suck..they did not have a good drainback valve which I understand was a problem. I use them sometimes when the local auto parts store has an oil change special featuring them.......

I do wish that other filter makers offered the textured end like Fram.......but oh well.

Purolator or Wix are my usual choices.

My oldest daughters new Honda Fit has a computer program that shows the effectiveness of the oil. When it hits 20% it is time for a change. Much better than the 3000 mile mantra cooked up by the oil industry.

I have 285,000 on my car and have changed the oil every 5,000 miles with no issue. I change my younger two daughters cars every 4,500 because that is what their service light tells them and they are more anal than I am.

Oh.....and I don't want the IRS crawling up my butthole.........I have never been audited.....but for some reason my middle daughter (23) has been audited twice. She is a college student and works as a hostess in a pizza place, college book store and an assistant at a bank.

Yeah....like the IRS is going to get more money from her......d;-)

Joel

Last edited: