NSA Umpire pay levels.

jayson0012

Extra Hitter
I just have one question for the different associations?

Do the senior umpires who have excelled in their training and knowledge,get paid the exact same amount as umpires who are in their first year?

In my association in Canada, the senior umpires that are umpiring the high divisions as well as championship games all get paid the exact same dollar figure as the first year umpires.There are way to many umpires that dont care to learn to get better, that are doing the rec league games and lower division ball. I am constantly dealing with team coaches that complain about how bad the umpires are in the rec divisions. There are umpire shortages in every league that I know of, and I think that there should be a tiered pay structure that will give incentive for all umpires to make it to the next pay grade based on expierience and the level of ball that we umpire.

I have so many rec teams complaining that they pay the same league fees as everybody else and they never get to see any of the experienced umpires to call their games.

Last edited:

MP33

Addicted to Softballfans
We get paid the same out here for rec, upper, women, and coed. Naturally, I choose to ump women's league :D

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
We get paid the same here as well. However, the more experienced, capable umpires tend to get more assignments. The newer umpires get the assignments that are more appropriate for their level.

EsqUmp

Manager
JV pays more than middle school and varsity pays more than JV.

Equal pay for all officials assigned to the same contest.

spos21ram

The Legend
We get paid the same here as well. However, the more experienced, capable umpires tend to get more assignments. The newer umpires get the assignments that are more appropriate for their level.

Yea, this.

In USSSA all the pay is the same. Rookie's make the same as veteran's and I think this is the best method. The better ump you are the more game you get scheduled for, which means more money. So it does work out where the better umpire you are the more money you make. Pay scale shouldn't be dictated by years of experience because not every veteran umpire is good, and not every new ump is bad.

Pay will vary from town to town, umpire association to umpire association though. I pay $25 per game per ump for a two man crew and $35 for 1 man, but that pay is across the board for my umps.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
We get $1 extra bonus money for each do-over. :D

I've never seen a pay difference in any rec ball I've ever dealt with. The only person who gets a bigger chunk for seniority is the gov't.

MaverickAH

Here's my problem:

Ask those same rec coaches & teams if they are willing to pay more for more experienced umpires & what do you think their answer will be? They may give you lip service & say yes but when it's time to actually pony up, they do a reverse!

How about a different approach? Why not tell them to get better & move up from rec? Problem solved!

Joker

Here's my problem:

Ask those same rec coaches & teams if they are willing to pay more for more experienced umpires & what do you think their answer will be? They may give you lip service & say yes but when it's time to actually pony up, they do a reverse!

How about a different approach? Why not tell them to get better & move up from rec? Problem solved!

softball isn't life for everyone. no matter what the level they should have a competent ump

sjury

The Old Man
softball isn't life for everyone. no matter what the level they should have a competent ump

Joker is always spot on.

Softball has been my favorite recreational activity for years. I've been blessed with good baseball skills and good competitive teams. Some people are so blind stupid to think it's easy to just get better and have a good team. Over half the softball players in this country play once a week, have never been in a tournament, and do it to have fun and are not concerned about championship tshirts, full dye uniforms, and the latest bats. So when a good team get into a rec league, there's only one response from the dbag crews for the complainers, ... "Get Better."

We had a situation over a couple years where there was a clear difference in the skill of the teams, it was the good teams that requested the league be split into and upper and lower, and instead of playing everyone once, you would play each team in your division twice, and it made for more fun and competitive league nights, as well as no hard feelings for beating someone by 30 runs.

The same dbag teams that think it's fun to fuel their egos by sandbagging in a rec league are the same ones that are creating a shortfall in quality umpires, it's just not worth the pay to babysit a bunch of grown men that cry like babies on every strike and out.

Around here the umpires all make the same money.

Pumacat35

Professional Hitter
Joker is always spot on.

Softball has been my favorite recreational activity for years. I've been blessed with good baseball skills and good competitive teams. Some people are so blind stupid to think it's easy to just get better and have a good team. Over half the softball players in this country play once a week, have never been in a tournament, and do it to have fun and are not concerned about championship tshirts, full dye uniforms, and the latest bats. So when a good team get into a rec league, there's only one response from the dbag crews for the complainers, ... "Get Better."

We had a situation over a couple years where there was a clear difference in the skill of the teams, it was the good teams that requested the league be split into and upper and lower, and instead of playing everyone once, you would play each team in your division twice, and it made for more fun and competitive league nights, as well as no hard feelings for beating someone by 30 runs.

The same dbag teams that think it's fun to fuel their egos by sandbagging in a rec league are the same ones that are creating a shortfall in quality umpires, it's just not worth the pay to babysit a bunch of grown men that cry like babies on every strike and out.

Around here the umpires all make the same money.

Well said!!

I umpire because I love the game and I get a little extra money so I can travel and play Men's ball but there are times the $21 a game does seem like enough...........that's when I think about ejecting the idiot yapping and the coach (control your team sir).

jackjohn

Addicted to Softballfans
I looked into umping in the area that I play. Slow pitch, 1 ump pays $13/game. 4 games a night. Not worth the gas or the hassle.

jackjohn

Addicted to Softballfans
$13 a game?! Do they nutkick you as a bonus? :wtf2:

Not quite. Lol. But for $13/game we get umps who call, when a 3rd baseman and runner collide (fielder was going to field the ball), "pass interference". The umps can make the games games very interesting!

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Not quite. Lol. But for $13/game we get umps who call, when a 3rd baseman and runner collide (fielder was going to field the ball), "pass interference". The umps can make the games games very interesting!

The umpires who really care about the game don't do it for the money. The money is only to recover our costs and make calling the games worthwhile.

But $13/game is an insult. You get what you pay for.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Certainly not in it for the money, but I wouldn't do it for $13 a game. I'd donate my time before I accepted that. Even when asked to do a scrimmage when I offer it pro bono, the coaches usually throw me $20 or $30 for my trouble.

Dakota Deerwood

Addicted to Softballfans
Depends on where you are at (and what association) you are doing, but it goes like this: (Here locally)

League Games: Pine Grove pays $17/game, and requires a 1099. I use to umpire a little out there, but once I found out about the required a 1099, I stopped
Other leagues offer more per game (most are $20 per Ump--2 man crew, or $25 (1 man crew))

Tournament Ball (ISA/USSSA/NSA/Freedom) $20(2 man crew), $25(by yourself)-- All money is under the table (no 1099 forms)

As for "seniority"... everyone gets paid the same, but the elder/more experienced, or better umpires usually get to stay longer, and get to do the Championship Game(s) if they want (which amounts to more $$$)

rat bastard

I ump a commercial real estate 16" league here on mondays, 1 game-$45, free booze and food after at the league sponsor bar, $30/game in another league, $20/game in the 3rd league I ump.

Mondays FTW!

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Depends on where you are at (and what association) you are doing, but it goes like this: (Here locally)

League Games: Pine Grove pays $17/game, and requires a 1099. I use to umpire a little out there, but once I found out about the required a 1099, I stopped
Other leagues offer more per game (most are $20 per Ump--2 man crew, or $25 (1 man crew))

Tournament Ball (ISA/USSSA/NSA/Freedom) $20(2 man crew), $25(by yourself)-- All money is under the table (no 1099 forms)

As for "seniority"... everyone gets paid the same, but the elder/more experienced, or better umpires usually get to stay longer, and get to do the Championship Game(s) if they want (which amounts to more $$$)

Well, it's all "under the table" for the most part. Many municipalities will issue a 1099 no matter what and they are required to issue one if you earn more than $600. Much of it is cash receipts (I get paid at the field for one league around here).

As an umpire, my judgement and integrity is supposed to mean something so, to me, whether I get a 1099 or not, I report it all and pay the taxes appropriately. Once I deduct my expenses (mileage, registrations, insurance, uniforms, etc.) the total earnings is sometimes near a wash. In the end, it reduces my overall refund I receive by a little, but not by much. Easier to be fully above board.

jk22

Humpty Dumpty was Pushed.....
That's the funniest **** I've heard. Did he blow a whistle too????
I Umped yesterday, fields were wet from afternoon storm, & literally had the catcher argue with me cuz the OF dropped a corn can routine pop fly, that the batter should be out due to the wet ball policy....