Umpires tossing a ball.

DegoGiantsFan48

Addicted to Softballfans
Last night in league we had to throw in another back up ball. I tossed in an Evil 52 275. We use 52 300 for the game ball. Umpire looked at it and tossed it because it's an evil. Told him that the ball was more mush than the actual game ball and he said he needed to see that on the ball. Showed it to him and he still tossed it. "This says evil on it, I'm not letting it in"

I was a little errked about it, does this happen often?

jf2k4

<font color="#3300FF">Outstanding Good Dealer</fon
Does your league specify that a certain brand of ball be used?
I don't really see any other justification other then ignorance.

bigbacon

Addicted to Softballfans
We had a team tell us we couldn't use a ball cause it was in their words squishy. It was a brand new isa tattoo.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Must be a local thing. I read about some CA leagues that don't allow any Combats but Virus Plagues. Hell those are one of the hottest they make.

strength

Extra Hitter
How can you blame him? He's obviously never heard of evil as a name brand. They more than likely have an approved ball that is supposed to be used.

I was warming up with a couple evil BP's yesterday before my doubleheader, not a single guy had any idea of what evil was/is.

cdamron13

scerred of sbf
if i was the umpire i would have asked why you were attemting to litter the field with that trash, then i would have tossed you and the ball

ToddVenom20

Banned User
Sounds like the league ball is a Dudley with a specific core/comp (52/300), or at least a specific core/comp for the ball to be used.
Was the Evil ball you were trying to put in even for the correct type assoc play?
Yeah, probably not that either.

I am guessing the Worth they allowed was the same core/comp and assoc. so he allowed it.

I have no idea why you would get irked about it. Whats the big deal?

quick23

Must be a local thing. I read about some CA leagues that don't allow any Combats but Virus Plagues. Hell those are one of the hottest they make.

Yeah, I heard of that too. Reason was is there is a bat painter doing up senior Combats as ASA/Utrip legal. He also does Ultras into ASA/Utrip legal bats.

UpNorthSoftball

The ump does not the balls or what the numbers mean. Maybe take a minute and explain it to him when there aren't many people around. Hopefully he'll take it as a learning exercise.

GNOLAUM

*insert dope custom title here
I have heard a TD say they won't use Evil balls because they supposedly lie about the COR and COMP of the balls to boost sales. If he talked to this moron, then he was swayed into being a moron too and passed on moronic thinking to all those who were at the game you played.

CarlsbadDrew

Addicted to Softballfans
I have heard a TD say they won't use Evil balls because they supposedly lie about the COR and COMP of the balls to boost sales. If he talked to this moron, then he was swayed into being a moron too and passed on moronic thinking to all those who were at the game you played.

Yup. Evil lies and then ASA, NSA or whoever approves the balls no questions asked! :rolleyes:

I love softball hearsay. Everyone always has some dumb (usually false) rumor to share.

bamaboy1626

You need my opinion!!!
man the questions on here get dumber and dumber every year... if the league says .52/300 then it's probably an asa league and you tried to put a utrip ball in.... goddamn people.... follow the rules and you won't have umpire problems about equipment. Like he's supposed to take your word for everything.

GNOLAUM

*insert dope custom title here
This is not an asa league as he stated. Its sanctioned by usssa. Sportsplex usa field.

usafshelland

Addicted to Softballfans
Coed... other team hit their good stuff foul... threw in a Wal-Mart ball. Umpire says no go because it doesn't say ASA on it... :rolleyes:

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
man the questions on here get dumber and dumber every year... if the league says .52/300 then it's probably an asa league and you tried to put a utrip ball in.... goddamn people.... follow the rules and you won't have umpire problems about equipment. Like he's supposed to take your word for everything.

:confused:

You do realize that USSSA Classic + balls are basically 52/300 right?

You also realize that NSA has approved the use of what is the equivalent of a 52/275 ball as well, right?

And, you think things are getting dumber and dumber? Thanks for the contribution.

Houdini5150

Addicted to Softballfans
Hmmm I picked up a senior league ball trump stote and a gsl ball that were hit over fence.... 44 375 and I thought they used 52 300.

CarlsbadDrew

Addicted to Softballfans
It isn't a wild idea to expect umps to learn what cor/comp mean. How hard is that? If you throw in a ball the equal to or less than the official league ball, they should allow it in. Most of the umps in our league haven't played ball since the 80's or not at all. I think paying someone $30 CASH for a 60 min game should get us some dudes with common sense. Oh well.

My other league won't allow you to throw in a backup unless it's white in color! LOL. Yellow balls fly farther I guess.

bimmerpilot

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It isn't a wild idea to expect umps to learn what cor/comp mean. How hard is that? If you throw in a ball the equal to or less than the official league ball, they should allow it in. Most of the umps in our league haven't played ball since the 80's or not at all. I think paying someone $30 CASH for a 60 min game should get us some dudes with common sense. Oh well.

My other league won't allow you to throw in a backup unless it's white in color! LOL. Yellow balls fly farther I guess.

Plenty of .40/375 ASA stamped still floating around :cool: