Under the radar bats

jhitman

For those of you have swung 2023 and maybe some new 2024 USSSA bats, is there a really good bat that flies under the radar that can be bought rather inexpensively? I have a friend looking to buy one, but doesn't want to spend over $200.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Plenty of options not necessarily flying under radar but definitely under $200. Anarchy, Easton seem to have more options within that price range

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Plenty of options not necessarily flying under radar but definitely under $200. Anarchy, Easton seem to have more options within that price range

Agree. Just go to SIS and pick one. All the new Eastons are dirt cheap (other than the Tantrum).

Anarchies (sadly) aren't as cheap as they used to be.

I picked up a Biff for $69.99.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes no $99 anarchy now, perhaps later in the year, but still a few under $200. I saw one site that had tantrums for$225 but I'm not paying anything close to that for any bat these days especially when durability is an issue.

jhitman

Thanks for the responses. In that $200 or less range what would be the best performing bat? He prefers bigger barrels and definitely endload whether a half ounce or full.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I can't speak from experience, but from all the threads/posts on here about pretty much every manufacturer.. fastest break in would be Easton and they have plenty of barrel length options, along with that tho goes durability or lack there of.. anarchy seems to be the way to go as far as durability and performance although they may take a bit more to break in. That being said, I forgot to mention that there are some sites selling some good miken options under $200. They, I believe have even more barrel length options than Easton up to 14".

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Is it actually good? I just bought a 2022 Wraith off eBay for cheap because I wanted a 30oz new stamp, I know nothing about the bat though.
I bought mine for the same reason, 30oz are hard come by. I only used it one day so far, and it was cold out (~55*) using Classic M's and Pro M's so factor that in. First swing out of the wrapper line drive HR to LCF, double in RCF gap, long HR to CF. I hadn't swung a bat in weeks prior to that day. IMO it felt better with the cold Classic M's than it did the Pro M's. Top tier bat = probably not; potential sleeper = maybe; good feel being used to 30 oz bats = definitely.

basilray

Is it actually good? I just bought a 2022 Wraith off eBay for cheap because I wanted a 30oz new stamp, I know nothing about the bat though.
I have a buddy who is a 30oz or GTFO kind of guy. He gets upset having to go down to 28oz on some of the new stuff.

He has both a Wraith and the Easton Black Magic in 30oz. While he's still largely swinging 30oz 220 DC41's in games (because we still can), he doesn't hate the Wraith. He has seen better distance and velocity from the Black Magic, so that's another option if you can find one.

There was also a Miken Freak Savage that came in 30oz, but was only available in Canada. Not currently available, but can be found reasonably on eBay.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those of you have swung 2023 and maybe some new 2024 USSSA bats, is there a really good bat that flies under the radar that can be bought rather inexpensively? I have a friend looking to buy one, but doesn't want to spend over $200.
The only thing I'd take into account is how much they play, and how strict their area is on testing.

If they're lax on testing, there are a ton of easton options for under a hundred.

If they're relatively strict, I watched a YouTube review of the bell corp easton comp that tested in the wrapper around 300, and with three big dudes putting several swings on it it was still around 280, and performing well.

After Easton, demarinis can be found, but take a little more work breaking in and finding. If testing is necessary.

Anarchy one pieces, if you can find them, definitely fit your bill.

jhitman

The only thing I'd take into account is how much they play, and how strict their area is on testing.

If they're lax on testing, there are a ton of easton options for under a hundred.

If they're relatively strict, I watched a YouTube review of the bell corp easton comp that tested in the wrapper around 300, and with three big dudes putting several swings on it it was still around 280, and performing well.

After Easton, demarinis can be found, but take a little more work breaking in and finding. If testing is necessary.

Anarchy one pieces, if you can find them, definitely fit your bill.

Thanks for the info. I saw the video on the Bell Corp. I watch several groups demo bats and I was shocked that the bat was as good as it seemed. It can be got dirt cheap too. I haven't seen too many cheap Anarchy's like last year. I will look some more. I've gotten a few discounted bats the last few years and they were every bit as good as the $300.00 bats. Actually, most were the $300.00 bats, but the manufactures discounted them to make room for the new inventory. I will never pay anywhere close to full price for a bat.

Also, it's for league play and they don't test.

basilray

Thanks for the info. I saw the video on the Bell Corp. I watch several groups demo bats and I was shocked that the bat was as good as it seemed. It can be got dirt cheap too. I haven't seen too many cheap Anarchy's like last year. I will look some more. I've gotten a few discounted bats the last few years and they were every bit as good as the $300.00 bats. Actually, most were the $300.00 bats, but the manufactures discounted them to make room for the new inventory. I will never pay anywhere close to full price for a bat.

Also, it's for league play and they don't test.
I've got a 26oz Anarchy Bazooka that just isn't for me, despite being a big Anarchy guy I'm looking to move, if interested. Very clean, low hits, mostly w/ 52's.

My teammates tried to convince me I should drop down to 26oz from swinging 28 or even 27, and it just doesn't work for me.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I've got a 26oz Anarchy Bazooka that just isn't for me, despite being a big Anarchy guy I'm looking to move, if interested. Very clean, low hits, mostly w/ 52's.

My teammates tried to convince me I should drop down to 26oz from swinging 28 or even 27, and it just doesn't work for me.

I think swinging only 1 weight bat all the time is dumb. I'll swing anything from 26-30 depending on the bat and how I'm feeling at the time. Sometimes you want a heavy log, and other times 26 will get the job done.

basilray

I think swinging only 1 weight bat all the time is dumb. I'll swing anything from 26-30 depending on the bat and how I'm feeling at the time. Sometimes you want a heavy log, and other times 26 will get the job done.
As a middling hitter, going from 28oz to 26oz just messes up my timing and my hands tend to droop. I'm sure it's mostly a mental thing, but that 2oz drop just kills me.

Last HitTrax tourney I played, I tried to swing 26, and was a mess. Went to my 27oz Code Red and was hitting in the low 90's. Last couple of AB's I grabbed my 28oz Anarchy 12, and was still hitting better w/ that than 26.

I'm a headcase w/ a bat in my hand, that's for sure.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
As a middling hitter, going from 28oz to 26oz just messes up my timing and my hands tend to droop. I'm sure it's mostly a mental thing, but that 2oz drop just kills me.

Last HitTrax tourney I played, I tried to swing 26, and was a mess. Went to my 27oz Code Red and was hitting in the low 90's. Last couple of AB's I grabbed my 28oz Anarchy 12, and was still hitting better w/ that than 26.

I'm a headcase w/ a bat in my hand, that's for sure.

I definitely prefer 28s, but I'll swing any weight at any time. Sometimes with 26s I feel like I overswing and start missing the barrel a lot.

If I'm going to swing a 26 it better have some endload. Balanced 26s feel like toy bats, and you can't drive through the ball well with them.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
I definitely prefer 28s, but I'll swing any weight at any time. Sometimes with 26s I feel like I overswing and start missing the barrel a lot.

If I'm going to swing a 26 it better have some endload. Balanced 26s feel like toy bats, and you can't drive through the ball well with them.
That's how I feel swing 25. I always swung 27 but lately I've been swinging 26 as well. Last tournament I played in, a teammate had an older 25oz monsta that was insanely hot (no testing at this tournament) so I asked to swing it. I felt completely out of control like swinging a wiffle bat. I got the bat head through so fast and uncontrolled that I popped out in foul territory.

My most recent purchase was a 27oz.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
That's how I feel swing 25. I always swung 27 but lately I've been swinging 26 as well. Last tournament I played in, a teammate had an older 25oz monsta that was insanely hot (no testing at this tournament) so I asked to swing it. I felt completely out of control like swinging a wiffle bat. I got the bat head through so fast and uncontrolled that I popped out in foul territory.

My most recent purchase was a 27oz.

Batspeed is no good if you have no mass behind the ball.

If you ever get the chance, try hitting with 2 of the same bat that are different weights. One time I did BP with a 26 and 32 oz 3DX. I know 6 ounces is a big gap, but the results were surprising. Obviously the 26 was easier to get through the zone. The 32 felt draggy and slow at times. However, the 32 VASTLY outdistanced the 26. A heavier barrel propels the ball way more despite not coming through the zone as fast.

If I'm going for all out power I want something endloaded. Balanced bats just aren't as good in that regard. I use balanced bats more for precision base hitting.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans

If you ever get the chance, try hitting with 2 of the same bat that are different weights. One time I did BP with a 26 and 32 oz 3DX. I know 6 ounces is a big gap, but the results were surprising. Obviously the 26 was easier to get through the zone. The 32 felt draggy and slow at times. However, the 32 VASTLY outdistanced the 26. A heavier barrel propels the ball way more despite not coming through the zone as fast.

If I'm going for all out power I want something endloaded. Balanced bats just aren't as good in that regard. I use balanced bats more for precision base hitting.
I used to swing 30oz and I definitely hit the ball harder. I got away from 30oz bc I had a difficult time hitting backside or even middle with it. I was 1 dimensional with 30oz. If I were to hit in a HR derby tomorrow, I'd swing a 30.

I played coed league ball a few years ago on a smaller filed. Probably 265'-270' to LC. One of the girls had a 23oz bat. I swung it all night just for fun. I barreled up a few balls that normally would have gone out by a lot. Not a single one of them even made it to the fence.

jhitman

I couldn't agree more TW. I started using endloaded bats about 15 years ago and have never looked back. I do like the larger barrels though, but will drop down to 13" and usually not much lower. I had some 12" barrels and they were great, but harder to find the sweet spot for me. When I first started I was using a 32 ounce bat and now use a 26. I definitely get more bat speed, but not as much butt as a 27/28.

I reluctantly swung a friends 28 ounce in BP that felt like a 30. When I got used to the weight I did hit the ball further with slightly less bat speed. I might consider going back to a 27/28 going forward.

10R

Addicted to Softballfans
I couldn't agree more TW. I started using endloaded bats about 15 years ago and have never looked back. I do like the larger barrels though, but will drop down to 13" and usually not much lower. I had some 12" barrels and they were great, but harder to find the sweet spot for me. When I first started I was using a 32 ounce bat and now use a 26. I definitely get more bat speed, but not as much butt as a 27/28.

I reluctantly swung a friends 28 ounce in BP that felt like a 30. When I got used to the weight I did hit the ball further with slightly less bat speed. I might consider going back to a 27/28 going forward.
Check out the 2023 Louisville Pass Em Out (gray blue black one). 28 ounce only available on the Louisville website, but it's a good price. Check out lexx27 on YouTube for a nice discount code as well.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I used to swing 30oz and I definitely hit the ball harder. I got away from 30oz bc I had a difficult time hitting backside or even middle with it. I was 1 dimensional with 30oz. If I were to hit in a HR derby tomorrow, I'd swing a 30.

I played coed league ball a few years ago on a smaller filed. Probably 265'-270' to LC. One of the girls had a 23oz bat. I swung it all night just for fun. I barreled up a few balls that normally would have gone out by a lot. Not a single one of them even made it to the fence.

Yeah, it feels like you have to work a ton harder to hit balls out with really light bats. It seems like you're annihilating them, but they go nowhere.

lukeamdman

I have a buddy who is a 30oz or GTFO kind of guy. He gets upset having to go down to 28oz on some of the new stuff.

He has both a Wraith and the Easton Black Magic in 30oz. While he's still largely swinging 30oz 220 DC41's in games (because we still can), he doesn't hate the Wraith. He has seen better distance and velocity from the Black Magic, so that's another option if you can find one.

There was also a Miken Freak Savage that came in 30oz, but was only available in Canada. Not currently available, but can be found reasonably on eBay.
I think he'll like the Wraith more if he breaks it in. I don't recall if I've tested the compression on that bat for him but it's probably close 300 still.

Zipperking

WTP all day
If you like the Axe handle, the 240 Avenge in either the traditional or the flare knob is a really great option and they have been clearancing the out lately for like $130 or something like that. Even the dual stamp version hits the Utrip ball incredibly well!

jhitman

Check out the 2023 Louisville Pass Em Out (gray blue black one). 28 ounce only available on the Louisville website, but it's a good price. Check out lexx27 on YouTube for a nice discount code as well.

I saw a post on the Pass em Out and it cracked within 10 swings. It might be a one off though. Not many people know about the West Coast Company ONYX. They have some really nice bats, but don't market well and their bats mostly are no warranty bats like senior bats.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Well, if we're going to discuss under the radar bats, the '22 Easton Biff! 240 deserves mention. SIS had it on sale for $69.99 a couple months ago. The thing hits superbly right out of the wrapper.

I can't speak for compression, and I don't think it'll pass for long. However, for what the bat cost you won't find a better deal.

First swing was 375' with a .52 ball.

You'll never find a cheaper, better performing bat. If the Biff! holds compression and lasts a while I'll call it CRIMINALLY underrated.

10R

Addicted to Softballfans
I saw a post on the Pass em Out and it cracked within 10 swings. It might be a one off though. Not many people know about the West Coast Company ONYX. They have some really nice bats, but don't market well and their bats mostly are no warranty bats like senior bats.
In my experience, the Louisvilles are prone to getting paint seams using classic M's or pro M's below 70 degrees, so yes, something to be aware of. But they absolutely mash, hold compression, and when it's warm enough the paint doesn't seam.

I've seen some recent Onyx YouTube reviews by Big Chef Softball. They are gas too. $220 to $240 is reasonable, but without a warranty.

If you play in colder weather, Demarini Nautalai bats might be your huckleberry. They take longer to break in, but are real stout. I have one with over 1500 swings and there's only faint paint webbing and testing over 260. There are sub $200 deals to be had for these too.

jhitman

Well, if we're going to discuss under the radar bats, the '22 Easton Biff! 240 deserves mention. SIS had it on sale for $69.99 a couple months ago. The thing hits superbly right out of the wrapper.

I can't speak for compression, and I don't think it'll pass for long. However, for what the bat cost you won't find a better deal.

First swing was 375' with a .52 ball.

You'll never find a cheaper, better performing bat. If the Biff! holds compression and lasts a while I'll call it CRIMINALLY underrated.

I looked online and couldn't find one anywhere? Ant ideas on who still has some left???