Under the radar bats

jhitman

In my experience, the Louisvilles are prone to getting paint seams using classic M's or pro M's below 70 degrees, so yes, something to be aware of. But they absolutely mash, hold compression, and when it's warm enough the paint doesn't seam.

I've seen some recent Onyx YouTube reviews by Big Chef Softball. They are gas too. $220 to $240 is reasonable, but without a warranty.

If you play in colder weather, Demarini Nautalai bats might be your huckleberry. They take longer to break in, but are real stout. I have one with over 1500 swings and there's only faint paint webbing and testing over 260. There are sub $200 deals to be had for these too.

The Onyx's start out at a lower price, but the no warranty scares me a bit. Supposedly, the newer LS line is not prone to the paint chips and seams like the OG Louisville's. Never been a Demarini fan so that is not an option.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
9+6.53333333
I looked online and couldn't find one anywhere? Ant ideas on who still has some left???

Nope. I got mine from SIS. I just looked there and they apparently have none left. Boo. They do still have plenty of other cheap Eastons, though.

eighty_eight

I have a combat dual stamp that has a few hundred cage swings at dbats, cold weather, I use it and my brother who played college football uses it too.
we even used it one afternoon hitting fastpitch balls.
We were at an indoor practice facility using what was on hand and hit 50 or so each.
Just hit a bucket of classic & pro M in my cold garage.
And no signs of failing at all.
It's a 26oz that weighs 26.8oz with lizard skin.
I think it was 75 bucks on justbats.

eighty_eight

I have a combat dual stamp that has a few hundred cage swings at dbats, cold weather, I use it and my brother who played college football uses it too.
we even used it one afternoon hitting fastpitch balls.
We were at an indoor practice facility using what was on hand and hit 50 or so each.
Just hit a bucket of classic & pro M in my cold garage.
And no signs of failing at all.
It's a 26oz that weighs 26.8oz with lizard skin.
I think it was 75 bucks on justbats.
18.8oz barrel 9.8oz knob

eighty_eight

Adv WeightMeasuredBarrelHandlecost
MonstaSinister2525.4317.647.69
EastonArmed Forces 22026.527.1318.419.8465 new
Combat Revoltdual stamp 13" loaded2626.7418.849.8180 new
WorthKrecher XL ASA2726.9817.1410.09
MikenVicious alloy 2pc dual stamped2928.9220.819.8460 new
LSZ4 220 old stamp2726.9818.598.6840 used
Easton Hellcat240 Schiffhauer Strong mule load2726.6318.69.1790 new
EastonHammer alloy2828.7117.9511.9240 used
Combat 2007Anti Virus dual old stamp2828.7118.710.7920 garage sale

18.8oz barrel 9.8oz knob
These weights are all measured the same way, I made a chart to compare the less expensive eastons/combat to something people may have swung. All have a knob flare or cuff on them (except monsta) and 1.8mm grip.

The louisville I got off marketplace and it's probably my favorite with the Combats. I got the hellcat in december so I have no bp with it yet. I'm excited to hit live balls with the Hellcat since it measures like the z4. I have been bored in these cold months.

Last edited:

Hiltz

Built for comfort
In my experience, the Louisvilles are prone to getting paint seams using classic M's or pro M's below 70 degrees, so yes, something to be aware of. But they absolutely mash, hold compression, and when it's warm enough the paint doesn't seam.

Genesis bats are by far the most commonly used locally. Under SPN Canada rules we're hitting .52/275 exclusively and I've yet to see one with a paint seam.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
Adv WeightMeasuredBarrelHandlecost
MonstaSinister2525.4317.647.69
EastonArmed Forces 22026.527.1318.419.8465 new
Combat Revoltdual stamp 13" loaded2626.7418.849.8180 new
WorthKrecher XL ASA2726.9817.1410.09
MikenVicious alloy 2pc dual stamped2928.9220.819.8460 new
LSZ4 220 old stamp2726.9818.598.6840 used
Easton Hellcat240 Schiffhauer Strong mule load2726.6318.69.1790 new
EastonHammer alloy2828.7117.9511.9240 used
Combat 2007Anti Virus dual old stamp2828.7118.710.7920 garage sale

These weights are all measured the same way, I made a chart to compare the less expensive eastons/combat to something people may have swung. All have a knob flare or cuff on them (except monsta) and 1.8mm grip.

The louisville I got off marketplace and it's probably my favorite with the Combats. I got the hellcat in december so I have no bp with it yet. I'm excited to hit live balls with the Hellcat since it measures like the z4. I have been bored in these cold months.
Sounds like the grip is as thick as the barrel

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I have a buddy who is a 30oz or GTFO kind of guy. He gets upset having to go down to 28oz on some of the new stuff.

He has both a Wraith and the Easton Black Magic in 30oz. While he's still largely swinging 30oz 220 DC41's in games (because we still can), he doesn't hate the Wraith. He has seen better distance and velocity from the Black Magic, so that's another option if you can find one.

There was also a Miken Freak Savage that came in 30oz, but was only available in Canada. Not currently available, but can be found reasonably on eBay.

Black Magic 30's sold out within days of getting released in Canada, Freak Savage 30's were gone in about a week. I've seen a few Black Magics on American sites but once you factor in exchange and $50 shipping from some places...

My Wraith showed up in the mail today, weighs 30.6oz with original grip and a Grip n Rip. If anyone is interested there's a SBF competitor selling them on eBay with a "make an offer" option, they accepted $120 from me.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, but I just saw SIS has them in stock (27.5 ounces only) for about $99. If they had them a little lighter I would have pulled the trigger.
They'll go on and off same almost weekly. I'd keep an eye on them for other eastons with similar specs. They'll probably be back down to 70 if the alpha sells well.

D-ROCK13

all of the soft knob easton 240s I've swung are better than previous 240 eastons. and sis has them cheap all the time. dudley doom 240s are good too and can be found cheap on the bay. I got one for 60 niw awhile back.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
all of the soft knob easton 240s I've swung are better than previous 240 eastons. and sis has them cheap all the time. dudley doom 240s are good too and can be found cheap on the bay. I got one for 60 niw awhile back.

I agree the Dudleys are good hitting bats. They have a really cheap look and feel to them, and I don't know how well they'll hold up. For the price you can't really go wrong, though.

Easton Thing is a sleeper. Good, dirt-cheap bat that has never gotten an ounce of hype.

jhitman

I agree the Dudleys are good hitting bats. They have a really cheap look and feel to them, and I don't know how well they'll hold up. For the price you can't really go wrong, though.

Easton Thing is a sleeper. Good, dirt-cheap bat that has never gotten an ounce of hype.

I saw it on Easton's site for $99 (Easton Thing 2023). Do you think it is as good as the new LS Sluggers or Demarinis????

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I saw it on Easton's site for $99 (Easton Thing 2023). Do you think it is as good as the new LS Sluggers or Demarinis????
For what you will pay for niw lvs,demarini vs $99 I'd say no-brainer, worth a shot. Performance can only be determined by one's self, anyone can say (oh that bats hot/great etc) but as we all know we all have different swings, strength so until we (or at least until I try a bat) I typically don't put to much stock into what someone says about how a bat/bats perform for them

jhitman

For what you will pay for niw lvs,demarini vs $99 I'd say no-brainer, worth a shot. Performance can only be determined by one's self, anyone can say (oh that bats hot/great etc) but as we all know we all have different swings, strength so until we (or at least until I try a bat) I typically don't put to much stock into what someone says about how a bat/bats perform for them

I agree. I just don't want to get a dud even if it is a cheaper price. I saw a demo on a bat that I was interested in and it broke within 40 swings. We used to have a local bat rep that would let us demo bats so we could make smart choices on what fit your swing the best. He isn't around here any longer....sure miss those days.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree. I just don't want to get a dud even if it is a cheaper price. I saw a demo on a bat that I was interested in and it broke within 40 swings. We used to have a local bat rep that would let us demo bats so we could make smart choices on what fit your swing the best. He isn't around here any longer....sure miss those days.
I totally understand,but with all the positive reviews on fire flex Eastons and price they do come with warranty. I know it can be a hassle but there's that lil peace of mind.

jhitman

I totally understand,but with all the positive reviews on fire flex Eastons and price they do come with warranty. I know it can be a hassle but there's that lil peace of mind.

What is your opinion on the Easton Thing bat? I see them really cheap online.

D-ROCK13

the first gen things had a telescope problem with the handle. the ones with the soft knob don't have that issue that I've seen and hit well after a little bp. the dudleys don't hold compression super well and tend to get a nasty glue rattle but are fairly durable as far as breakage is concerned.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
What is your opinion on the Easton Thing bat? I see them really cheap online.
I can't say as I've not had the opportunity to try one yet. I've been contemplating grabbing one or two, not necessarily one of the things. I only haven't pulled trigger on any of the discounted Easton simply because I'm not so sure I will play at all this year or at all anymore, slow pitch softball just isn't the same as it used to be with some of these associations that keep shifting bat rules/regulations. And quite honestly the only reason I would buy/try a newer Easton is the fact that they are so cheap. I've been turned off from Easton from the moment they put their own older bats on the non approved list.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

I haven't swung any 240 Demarinis or LSs. I've heard good things about Demarini 240s. They seem to hold compression and perform well.

The Thing is, IMO, a good bat. For $99 you can't really go wrong.